ADVERTISEMENT

3A, 4A Semifinals- Thurs., Mar. 12- Scores & Comments

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Some great games today. Even though 3A seems ridiculously predictable at this point, with SB-Luten and Norwalk odds-on favorites to win today, could there be an epic upset?
The 4A Semifinals feature some awfully good teams and individuals, and it'll be exciting to see who comes out on top. The word was pre-season that the CIML was headed for a banner year, and if Cedar Falls hadn't eked out a two-point win yesterday, it would have been four CIML teams in the final four spots. Will it be an all-CIML final? Pressure is on Cedar Falls. It's awfully hard to get a three-peat.

Nice effort by Ballard to stick with Norwalk for the first half. Great game from Conner Drew, but Born and this Norwalk squad were just too much for them. Not only is Born one of the best scorers I have seen but one of the best passers as well. He is great at sucking in the defense and then finding the open guy. I think Norwalk only had like 5 field goals that he didn't score or assist today. Just an amazing player.

It's hard to imagine how a team could stop Born, but Norwalk did lose something like three games this year, so it can be done. For his size, he is an amazing player. Ballard did really well in the first half when they were pretty hot, but Norwalk just wears you down with perpetual motion. . Born should do well at UNI, but it's not like UNI hasn't had "gunners" before- Cedar Falls guard A. J. Green most recently, and Spencer Haldemann from Western Dubuque who put up 46 against Wahlert and sophomore Cordell Pemsl in the 2014 tourney-- and lost against that powerhouse Dubuque.

Sergeat Bluff -Luten hangs on to beat Clear Creek- Amana, which played as an virtual unknown much of the season, but came on at the end. Can the tremendous height of SB- Luten slow down some of the drives of Born in the championship game?

In the 4A opener, Waukee showed why many thought they were the best team in the state in 4A. A very smooth and quite young team that hung in to win vs.Ankeny Centennial. To me, Waukee seemed to be the more cohesive and calm group. Lots of college prospects on that Waukee team, especially DeVries..

The next game should be a burner between Ankeny and Cedar Falls. I haven't seen Ankeny's star play, so that should be quite entertaining.

Well, looking like Ankeny will be advancing. Sometimes it's just your night where you can do no wrong. They're just shooting it like the basket is the size of the ocean. Been a long time, if ever, that I've seen a team this blistering hot.

Well, it was a dogfight between Ankeny and Cedar Falls, but Cedar Falls was a bunch of collies and Ankeny was pitbulls. Very, very aggressive team of no size, but quick, and deadly shooters from the three. They'll give Waukee a game. Lots of credit to Cedar Falls to win two titles in a row, only to run into a buzz saw tonight. 71- 57, Ankeny

Last edited:
Cedar Falls wins the consolation game today over Ankeny Centennial 65-58. Congrats to CF and Coach Ryan Shultz on a helluva run these last several years! I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for their success since he took over 7 years ago, and was only supposed to be an interim HC at the time. He has already established himself as one of the top coaches in the state, to be able to get them back to state year after year, in spite of losing so much talent year in, year out.

ADVERTISEMENT