ADVERTISEMENT

2A Sub State Games-Who's pitching?

terrehawk

All Conference
Feb 23, 2011
It is interesting to look at who is going to pitch for some of these teams and how many innings they have already pitched as of late.

I've only followed/looked at a few of them but am interested to hear about other sub state match ups and insight on the 2 games below.

Hudson vs N Polk

This one is the most intriguing one to me and is probably one of the best games on tap tomorrow if Henke and Hadaway throw

Henke from Hudson threw:

7 innings on 7/5 vs Grinnell in regular season finale, then 7 innings on 7/10 vs Dike on 4 days rest in District Semi game7 innings on 7/14 vs EM on 3 days rest in District finalWill he throw tomorrow (7/17) on 2 days rest after throwing 21 innings in 12 days already ?

Hadaway from NP threw:

4 innings on 7/10 vs S Ham and 7 innings on 3 days rest on 7/14. Will he come back on 2 days rest to throw on 7/17?

This could be really tough on Hudson to come back with Henke for more than a few innings. Obviously, they have a real drop off after this. They may regret throwing him on the 5th an entire game in a meaningless game.

N Polk would likely start one of the Pickard boys and relieve with Hadaway if I had to guess. Either that or start Hadaway and get a few innings and then bring in a Pickard. Either way would be a good move IMO. Starting Hadaway and then having him there to come back in and close is always a possibility. He is only a junior though so there is that to think about. He doesn't strike me as an overly durable type of kid that this wouldn't phase.

I hate to see these kids over used especially if they have a possible future like both Henke & Hadaway have.

Have to give the edge to N Polk. Having seen both teams, N Polk is clearly the superior offensive team despite the statistics and N Polk has much more pitching depth. i would also give the defensive edge to NP.

PCM vs Ogden[/B]

Looks to be 2 fairly evenly matched teams.

Burns from PCM threw 6 1/3 innings on 7/14

Wiggins from PCM threw 3 2/3 innings on 7/10 and 2 innings on 7/5

Dewitt from PCM threw 2/3 inning on 7/14 and 3 1/3 innings on 7/10

I would guess that Wiggins will be used in relief and they'll try to get through with one of the other guys including DeWitt as they have several guys that have thrown a lot of innings.

Ogden doesn't have enough posted in QS to tell what they might do but looking at their stats, they seem to have several capable arms. It should be a good game.

Henke will be ready to go. He will pitch every game Hudson has left. The innings he's pitched the past 2 weeks really don't matter because he is so efficient. He has only thrown 80-90 pitches per game in his last three complete games.

Hudson will use Henke as Gilbert did Goodman last year.

If they outlast NP expect to see him again. Petersen would be the only option outside of Henke and he has been inconsistent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT