Last edited:
Predictions
Boyden Hull
AP
Western Christian
Beckman Catholic

Championship
Western Christian over Boyden Hull

After a slow start, Boyden-Hull sure flexed its returning champ muscle. It will be a tall task to keep them from repeating.

Reactions: LAK26
A-P looked fantastic. They cause havoc on defense and Jayden Mackie can ball! What an incredible performance from him. They will definitely give B-H a game.

Would've been interesting to see what Mackie could've finished with if that game stayed closer. That had to have been one of the most efficient tourney performances of all time. I think AP will need one or both of their bigs to step up and have a game to knock off BH, but a Mackie/Te Slaa matchup will be very, very fun to watch

#1 Boyden-Hull vs #4 Aplington-Parkersburg

#2 Western Christian vs #3 Des Moines Christian

We're in for some good games on Thursday!

After watching First Rounds I am taking:
AP over Boyden Hull
Western Christian over Des Moines Christian.

Sticking with my original champion Western Christian.

AP vs BH has potential to be the game of the tournament behind Waukee/CF championship. I’ll take BH in a close one. I think western rolls DMC

This is a really good 2A field making for what should be a couple of great semifinal games. All four teams left have some great athletes that can score and defend. I can't wait for Thursday!

I will take Boyden-Hull and Western for an all Hull championship. I think B-H has the athletes and the experience to handle A-P's pressure D. They are just not a team that gets flustered and turns it over. Plus it is hard to pick against the currently undefeated returning champ. This Western team looks like, well, a classic Western team. Big, athletic, and skilled. Nothing against DMC, but I just didn't see enough from them to think they can hang with this Western team. It is one game though and anything can happen so I wouldn't be shocked to be wrong on both.

Rumor has it that Eli Van Essen(Western) was caught shoplifting and will be suspended the rest of the playoffs. Just a rumor. Can anyone clear this up?

Rumor has it that Eli Van Essen(Western) was caught shoplifting and will be suspended the rest of the playoffs. Just a rumor. Can anyone clear this up?
What I always say about rumors, if you don't know it's true don't repeat it. I don't know if it is true, but I do know false rumors can do a lot of damage. We will find out soon if he plays or not, but even then it doesn't necessarily mean the rumors are true.

What I always say about rumors, if you don't know it's true don't repeat it. I don't know if it is true, but I do know false rumors can do a lot of damage. We will find out soon if he plays or not, but even then it doesn't necessarily mean the rumors are true.
I agree completely. This may be an anonymous sight but who benefits from putting a rumor online about a specific kid?

Also this reffing crew is getting an ear full from anyone in range this game. The word I would use so far is just “bizarre”

Surprised at the tempo these teams are playing, expected a much higher paced game. Mackie playing well for AP, Te Slaa playing well for BH. Whichever gets more help in the second half likely wins. Te Slaa also lucky he didn’t get called for his third foul near the end of the half

Also this reffing crew is getting an ear full from anyone in range this game. The word I would use so far is just “bizarre”
I’m an AP guy so obviously a little biased but the last four mins of the half were pathetic. Couldn’t buy a foul and the charge was weak. BH has been called for 2-3 travels that didn’t look like it at all

Reactions: NWIowaSioux
I’m an AP guy so obviously a little biased but the last four mins of the half were pathetic. Couldn’t buy a foul and the charge was weak. BH has been called for 2-3 travels that didn’t look like it at all
I think both teams have plenty they can complain about. It is a shame as this has been a well played game by the kids.

Western will be without their starting PG for the rest of the tournament.

Last edited:
Wow! What a second half, specifically fourth quarter. This is an extremely high level 2A game

That was a great half of basketball! B-H had an answer every time it looked like A-P might make their run. They sure know how to close out games. You will win a lot of games when you shoot free throws like they do.

Reactions: NWIowaSioux
That was a great half of basketball! B-H had an answer every time it looked like A-P might make their run. They sure know how to close out games. You will win a lot of games when you shoot free throws like they do.
AP has quite the team. We got up 9 at one point and that lasted about 30 seconds before they brought it back down to 4.

For sure. With all A-P has coming back I would be shocked if we didn't see them playing again this time next year.
The older Thomas will be somewhat tough to replace. Doesn’t do anything great (he hasn’t shot the three like that all year) but he does a lot of things really well. Very solid glue guy. Haan was the lesser of the two big guys but started as he was the senior.

other than that everyone is back and should be a fun season. Mackie really came on strong towards the end of the year and he should have a great senior season. A few solid young guys waiting in the wings, too.

what do other NW Iowa teams all have returning?

2A - Western Christian brings back almost everything. BH loses 2 nice seniors but have a strong JR class - don't know about anything behind that. Rock Valley brings back pretty much everything. Central Lyon will be tough and bring back literally everything. Unity Christian lose leading scorer but brings back key pieces. West Lyon brings back 3 starting Juniors.

Going to be some fantastic basketball in the Siouxland once again.

That was a physical battle of a game. Something I think DMC wanted as they are a tough defensive team. Western just has too many weapons to be held down all game though. Now we get the all Hull final! Being from the area this is something I was hoping for. A state title and bragging rights on the line tomorrow.

As a Western alumni, this pains me to do, but I think I have to take Boyden-Hull tonight. Nothing seems to rattle this group of kids. Western is very good though, so I expect things to go right down to the wire. Another big game from Te Slaa and Kelderman should get the Comets their second straight state title though. Looking forward to this one a lot!

As a Western alumni, this pains me to do, but I think I have to take Boyden-Hull tonight. Nothing seems to rattle this group of kids. Western is very good though, so I expect things to go right down to the wire. Another big game from Te Slaa and Kelderman should get the Comets their second straight state title though. Looking forward to this one a lot!
Agree.
I have B-H as a 7 point favorite.

IMO, Western will need to hit twice as many 3's as B-H, and keep Kelderman & Te Slaa from getting to the rim. Take a chance & force them to win with jumpshots.

B-H's set play of getting the ball at the baseline, then hitting the cutter for a layup has worked all year & will be tough to stop.

Western zone is giving B-H problems and they are missing many of the decent looks they do get. How about that first half from Van Essen though!

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT