ADVERTISEMENT

2A State Tournament

NWIAorBUST

Freshman
Aug 30, 2019
#3 North Linn, Troy Mills (24-0) vs. #6 West Sioux, Hawarden (22-2)
- NL 79 - 74 WS
- Going to be a super high scoring affair
- Not sold on WS's defense so taking NL's quick guards
- WS can shoot themselves into a W here though - can get hot in a hurry

#2 Treynor (24-1) vs. #7 Pella Christian (13-10)
- Treynor 55 - 62 PC
- Van Gorp has a big day

#1 Boyden-Hull (21-3) vs. #8 Woodward-Granger (22-2)
- BH 53 - 48 WG
- Will be a very tough out for the #1 seed with a very strong 8 seeded WG
- I am banking on the best Soph in the state in this class in my opinion Te Slaa to lead them over WG

#4 Camanche (21-3) vs. #5 Monticello (21-2)
- Camanche 59 - 53 Monti
- Slug fest to start off Tuesday's games at the Well
- Could go either way - both teams have solid size and shooting

Reactions: mylameusername
#2 Treynor (24-1) vs. #7 Pella Christian (13-10)
- Treynor 55 - 62 PC
- Van Gorp has a big day

I like your call on PC over Treynor. Having seen both play, PC seemed like the better squad. However, I've been wrong on several picks lately-so who knows.

I'll take:

Treynor
West Sioux
Woodward Granger in an "upset"
Camanche (I could flip this ten times between now and Tuesday though)

I'll go with:

North Linn over West Sioux - I don't think that West Sioux is a deep enough team to be able to outscore North Linn.

Pella Christian over Treynor - Pella Christian is a very good and battle tested team who have played a difficult schedule.

Boyden-Hull over Woodward-Granger - BH is a solid team from a tough conference

Monticello over Camanche - this game is a toss up. They split their regular season match-ups

Last edited:
NL over West Souix in what should be a very entertaining and close game

Pella over Treynor.... Pella’s size concerns me...

Boyden over Woodward.... I would not count Woodward out though

Camanche over Monticello.. Camanche is loaded, how well they play together will dictate how far they go... I see this as very low scoring...

Pick opposite of me and you will be right... These teams appear to be very close on paper , anyway.... We will soon see who gets on a roll. Foul trouble and the way the games are called will be a factor too... I’ve never been a fan of the 3 man crews at state that don’t officiate together during the yr... As an official, I would prefer my regular crew.. A topic for another day

Reactions: RJV2324
My predictions are:

West Sioux 78 North Linn 73--Should be a fun game to watch. Both teams obviously have a lot of firepower.

Pella Christian 51 Treynor 47---Pella Christian is my pick to win it all.

Boyden Hull 65 Woodward Granger 48--I like WG, but this was a very tough draw for them. I just think BH's talent and state tournament experience will be to much for WG.

Camanche 59 Monticello 55--Should be another great game.

Reactions: mylameusername
I think Camanche and Monticello would have each won one, and maybe more games at the State Tournament if they weren’t matched up first round.

But, I think Camanche wins this one if they can get the tempo up.

I was impressed by both North Linn and West Sioux. Thought West Sioux took more bad shots, and the big guy had not-so-good stats at the end.. Both very well coached. Thought North Linn would probably win, and they did in a close one. Interested to see how Pella Christian looks. Lousy record but that means nothing to that team.

There were some terrible calls down the stretch that really mattered.
I wasn’t particularly impressed by either team though. Expected better I guess.
Funny how when NL plays a decent team they put up about half the points they run up on 1A teams all season.
North Linn is good but is not a team that should be on a 52 game winning streak from last year. Would have 3-4 losses in a normal 1-2A conference . TriRivers is good for 1A but pretty bad for 2A

I too thought West Sioux and North Linn both looked good. West Sioux had some great athletes that kept them in it but North Linn's experience came up huge down the stretch.

After a slow start this Treynor-PC has gotten pretty entertaining. I think it is the loudest the arena has been all day.

North Lin’s tournament experience paid off in the end. The little press they sprung near the end caught WS off guard. Miller was the best player on the court. There were some questionable charge calls that went NL’s way. Overall a well played game.

Not sure how North Linn escaped there but they adjusted their game when needed. Thought it would be higher scoring but both teams shot it poor all night long. Good defense or a bit of nerves at state? Exciting first game of the 2A tourney.

After watching Pella Christian and Treynor play I am honestly not impressed with west Sioux or NL. PC and Treynor are better then both teams

Just don't see how North Linn can hang with Treynor. But they always seem to figure out a way to win in the end.

NL and WS, no dog in the fight, but some questionable charge calls against WS IMO.

NL made the plays down the stretch.

That intentional foul call with under a minute to go was inexcusable. NL kid runs into the screen, gets a bump, a normal basketball play/foul and the refs give two shots and the ball?
He missed the foul shots, but that terrible call could have, and likely should have, ended the game in a bad way.

Had not seen Treynor or Pella Christian play previously, but Treynor is darned good. Pella Chr. wasn't as sharp as I thought they might be for playing in such a good conference. But it's only one game. Just got a look at Woodward-Granger. Pretty out-matched/out-classed, I'd say, by B-H.

Boyden-Hull is long, athletic, and really good at basketball. What really impressed me was how versatile they were as a team. It seemed everyone could bring the ball up, rebound, shoot, you name it. Very well rounded team.

Reactions: RJV2324
What's everyone's new favorite?
I like Treynor a lot. But man that Boyden-Hull defense is good. Don’t think NL has any shot but they may prove me wrong. Winner of Camanche and Monticello will be a tough out too. Three horse race at this point imo

Treynor has it all.. Very impressed with there size and athleticism... I don’t see how NL can handle there length.. Treynor vs Pella Christian was a delight to watch.. Played at a high level... Without seeing Camanche or Monti, unless Treynor has an off night, they may have had there toughest game.... I guess we will find out... That’s why you play the game.... Enjoyable games all day, for the most part.. You just can’t beat, State Basketball...

There were some terrible calls down the stretch that really mattered.
I wasn’t particularly impressed by either team though. Expected better I guess.
Funny how when NL plays a decent team they put up about half the points they run up on 1A teams all season.
Does anyone ever reach there scoring average at State? I mean if a team lets you score 100 at the state tournament they probably shouldn't be there...Not sure how good defense on both sides is funny. What is funny is your hatred towards NL even when they prove you wrong...at this point i would give it up. You've been bashing them for the last 3 years and they are doing pretty well.

Last edited:
Tiarks for Treynor is a blast to watch. Seems like he’s all over the court all the time flying around making plays. 100% hustle all the time and his dunks are pretty sweet too

Tiarks for Treynor is a blast to watch. Seems like he’s all over the court all the time flying around making plays. 100% hustle all the time and his dunks are pretty sweet too

He is very athletic! How about the Pella Kid dunking on him.... Lots of high level ball in that game

Nice win for Camanche. A well balanced team that can do it all. After seeing all the 2A field I think we are in for some good semi-final games. Treynor has to be the favorite right now after the show they put on last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT