ADVERTISEMENT

2A Sat. Night Feb. 29 Thread- Scores and Comments

When I originally listed this thread there was an error on the IHSAA site, and I didn't see that they changed it.

Pella Christian 52
South Hamilton 30

PC defense pretty stifling. PC played against mostly 3A and 4A teams and will be a tough out at state. Lengthy and athletic.

Your 2A state tournament teams:
Boyden-Hull 55, West Lyon, Inwood 47
Camanche 80, West Burlington 32
Monticello 42, Beckman Catholic, Dyersville 41
North Linn, Troy Mills 69, Forest City 42
Pella Christian 52, South Hamilton, Jewell 30
Treynor 71, Panorama, Panora 41
West Sioux, Hawarden 63, South Central Calhoun 48
Woodward-Granger 49, Albia 43

Really good state tournament for 2A. Seven of these teams have all been highly ranked at one time and any could win this thing. Wouldn’t sleep on WG either as they are very sound and easily could play the spoiler card and make a run. 8 really good teams. Will have to wait till 3A and 4A state comes out but this may be the most entertaining class and one of the better well rounded tournament fields in awhile.
Predicted seeds
1. North Linn
2. Treynor
3. Monticello
4. Camanche
5. Pella Christian
6. Boyden Hull
7. West Sioux
8. Woodward-Granger

Reactions: LAK26
Really good state tournament for 2A. Seven of these teams have all been highly ranked at one time and any could win this thing. Wouldn’t sleep on WG either as they are very sound and easily could play the spoiler card and make a run. 8 really good teams. Will have to wait till 3A and 4A state comes out but this may be the most entertaining class and one of the better well rounded tournament fields in awhile.
Predicted seeds
1. North Linn
2. Treynor
3. Monticello
4. Camanche
5. Pella Christian
6. Boyden Hull
7. West Sioux
8. Woodward-Granger
I agree with your predicted seeds, but Camanche is the best team in 2A

Reactions: Pinehawk
Camanche is very nice and you won’t find a team with a better core four as they have. All 8 of these teams are very sound teams with players who can be tough to handle. I think the winner of the state title is the team who can play their game the longest each round. Along with a little luck. Should be a great weekend for 2A.

Camanche is very nice and you won’t find a team with a better core four as they have. All 8 of these teams are very sound teams with players who can be tough to handle. I think the winner of the state title is the team who can play their game the longest each round. Along with a little luck. Should be a great weekend for 2A.
Agreed. 2A is absolutely loaded this year. IMHO the sleeper team is Pella Christian and the team that might be slightly overrated is North Linn. They are not the same powerhouse as they were last year with Jake and David Seber

Agreed. 2A is absolutely loaded this year. IMHO the sleeper team is Pella Christian and the team that might be slightly overrated is North Linn. They are not the same powerhouse as they were last year with Jake and David Seber

I understand both those points. North Linn obviously still very good and well coached just don’t have the same leader but Austin Hilmer is no slouch. Pella Christian is no sleeper as anyone that knows basketball knows they are good. Record wise could throw people for a loop but they are the real deal when Van Gorp is in the lineup. The seeds and bracket could be very important with who gets who. Excited to watch this play out.

Reactions: mylameusername
I've only seen Treynor and Pella Christian play this year. Between those two, I would lean towards Pella Christian probably having the better team and more athletic.

The 2A state field seems pretty stacked this year. I could see Woodward as the 8, but slotting the rest would be a challenge. North Linn, Camanche, Boyden Hull, West Sioux, Monticello and Pella Christian - that is a loaded bunch. Whoever wins this year is definitely deserving.

I understand both those points. North Linn obviously still very good and well coached just don’t have the same leader but Austin Hilmer is no slouch. Pella Christian is no sleeper as anyone that knows basketball knows they are good. Record wise could throw people for a loop but they are the real deal when Van Gorp is in the lineup. The seeds and bracket could be very important with who gets who. Excited to watch this play out.

Agreed on Van Gorp. Vande Haar is the other PC player that stood out to me. At times gets lost in the flow like a Joe Wieskamp, but if he's on and determined, he can take over.

Yikes.....(BCmoore Rankings)
1. North Linn (1)
2. Treynor (7)
3. Monticello (10)
4. Camanche (6)
5. Pella Christian (9)
6. Boyden Hull (2)
7. West Sioux (3)
8. Woodward-Granger (12)
How about:
1. North Linn
2. Boyden-Hull
3. West Sioux
4. Camanche
5. Treynor
6. Pella Christian
7. Monticello
8. Woodward-Granger
I have BH winning the title this year.

Also find it interesting that there were only 3 substate games within 10 points. A lot of blowouts.....80-32, 69-42, 52-30, 71-41, 63-48. Shouldn't the ticket to state be a little bit more difficult?

Yikes.....(BCmoore Rankings)
1. North Linn (1)
2. Treynor (7)
3. Monticello (10)
4. Camanche (6)
5. Pella Christian (9)
6. Boyden Hull (2)
7. West Sioux (3)
8. Woodward-Granger (12)
How about:
1. North Linn
2. Boyden-Hull
3. West Sioux
4. Camanche
5. Treynor
6. Pella Christian
7. Monticello
8. Woodward-Granger
I have BH winning the title this year.

Also find it interesting that there were only 3 substate games within 10 points. A lot of blowouts.....80-32, 69-42, 52-30, 71-41, 63-48. Shouldn't the ticket to state be a little bit more difficult?
Agreed, but after these top 8 there’s a pretty big drop off. Besides maybe Western Christian, Beckman, and Van Meter

Predicted seeds
1. North Linn
2. Treynor
3. Monticello
4. Camanche
5. Pella Christian
6. Boyden Hull
7. West Sioux
8. Woodward-Granger

All 8 teams in the top 12 of BC Moore rankings.

BCMoore does an excellent job but those rankings technically have no play in how these seeds will be determined. I do know coaches look at them and they are brought up but I know the season as a whole, opponents as who teams beat and lost to, injuries/illnesses and personal opinion come into play just as much. Coaches vote their top 7 without getting to vote for their team. Coaches will look to see where they could be placed and who they could play based on various voting or how they think voting could go. Will be interesting and there will be no easy games in this bracket!

BCMoore does an excellent job but those rankings technically have no play in how these seeds will be determined. I do know coaches look at them and they are brought up but I know the season as a whole, opponents as who teams beat and lost to, injuries/illnesses and personal opinion come into play just as much. Coaches vote their top 7 without getting to vote for their team. Coaches will look to see where they could be placed and who they could play based on various voting or how they think voting could go. Will be interesting and there will be no easy games in this bracket!

you think these coaches have any clue who was “injured,” or who had “illnesses” and when and where for some Other team?!? Not a chance. The pella Christian coach has zero clue if someone was injured or had an illness in a west Sioux game in December.

Nor does he care. I’d say it goes by record, SOS, and general program traditions. In no particular order.

you think these coaches have any clue who was “injured,” or who had “illnesses” and when and where for some Other team?!? Not a chance. The pella Christian coach has zero clue if someone was injured or had an illness in a west Sioux game in December.

Nor does he care. I’d say it goes by record, SOS, and general program traditions. In no particular order.
Completely agree. Wins, SOS, and program traditions are by far the most important. Things that are overrated is your ppg difference, and MAKING EXCUSES for losing to teams you shouldn’t.

1. North Linn
2. Camanche
3. Boyden-Hull
4. West Sioux
5. Treynor
6. Pella Christian
7. Monticello
8. Woodward-Granger

I just hope they don’t put Camanche and Monticello on the same side of the bracket. I’m interested to see what each of those teams can do. Great programs.

Let me first say that I do not follow really any other classes other then 4A, however since Feb 1 I have taken notice of the all of 2A ranked teams. On Feb 1 Camanche played at Dubuque Senior, and for the better part of 3 quarters it was a up and down fantastic game. Senior has been ranked for the better part of the season in the top ten and high as 3, in that game they lost their only returning starter for most of February. (Thus they lost two really close games in February to Cedar Falls and Wat West to top 5 programs in 4A.)
After watching that game I was most impressed with Camanche as they are as athletic as Senior, and Senior is as athletic as any other MV conference team. Final score was 82 - 66 at Senior. I will be interested to see how 2A plays out this year as I will be somewhat rooting for Camanche only because I was so impressed when I saw them in person. If someone does upend them they will have really had to play a greatly executed fundamental game.
Gonna be a fun next two weeks for all HS Basketball fans in Iowa. Good luck to all players, coaches and fans!

Reactions: Sarge-82
I just hope they don’t put Camanche and Monticello on the same side of the bracket. I’m interested to see what each of those teams can do. Great programs.

Well....that ship sailed. Not only on the same side of the bracket but, Match up against each other in the 1st round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT