ADVERTISEMENT

2A Playoffs!!

Apr 20, 2020
Who wants to take a stab at predicting 1st round matchups in Class 2A?? It looks like there are still a couple games this week that could tweak things, especially in D3!!

D8 is pretty much locked in now with their seeds unless I'm mistaken. The closest district to them is probably D7 so if you match up the seeds after projected winners Friday, we could have the following matchups:

1) West Marshall
4) Clarke

2) Clarinda
3) Roland Story

2) PCM
3) DSM Christian

1) Greene County
4) Chariton

Last edited:
Who wants to take a stab at predicting 1st round matchups in Class 2A?? It looks like there are still a couple games this week that could tweak things, especially in D3!!

D8 is pretty much locked in now with their seeds unless I'm mistaken. The closest district to them is probably D7 so if you match up the seeds after projected winners Friday, we could have the following matchups:

1) West Marshall
4) Clarke

2) Clarinda
3) Roland Story

2) PCM
3) DSM Christian

1) Greene County
4) Chariton

I would predict D1/D2:

CLGLR (1) vs. Clarion GD
West Lyon (9) vs. Estherville LC
Sheldon @ OABCIG (6)
Unity @ Spirit Lake (3)

I would predict D1/D2:

CLGLR (1) vs. Clarion GD
West Lyon (9) vs. Estherville LC
Sheldon @ OABCIG (6)
Unity @ Spirit Lake (3)
I think you are looking at 4 dome caliber teams here and only two will even make the quarterfinals if they break it down this way! About 4 years ago Algona traveled to Waukon for a quarterfinal game, which is about 3 1/2 hours away. Who knows how they will do it after rounds 1 and 2.

I like your predictions here USF!! The only thing I could see changing would be maybe Clarion goes up to the District champion in District 3, and Clear Lake goes to CLGLR if Clear Lake is the 4 seed. A lot might depend on how District 3 shakes out in this final week!!

The interesting question will be what are the pods going to look like. If all favorites win I could see a pod of:

CLGLR
Spirit Lake
OABCIG
West Lyon

Would the state allow a loaded pod like this based off of geography or will they make teams travel to balance the pods?

The interesting question will be what are the pods going to look like. If all favorites win I could see a pod of:

CLGLR
Spirit Lake
OABCIG
West Lyon

Would the state allow a loaded pod like this based off of geography or will they make teams travel to balance the pods?
That is a pretty loaded pod!! Last year they put SEV, OABCIG, and Greene County all in the same pod and they were all ranked in the top 5 at the time... so I'd say anything is possible!!

Seems like every year we debate this question in NW Iowa. Last year with SEV being a 1 it gave a little more room to spread the pod out but this year with CLGLR and Spirit Lake being the 1s geographically it just doesn't make any sense to send SL a different direction. Does it make for a loaded pod, yeah it certainly does but what are the other options? Send SL and OABCIG East, pod them up with Osage and New Hampton? Feasible I suppose, but who do you bring West, Greene County and Clarinda? If I was a fan or coach of WL I wouldn't be thrilled to have to go to Greene County in the 2nd rd when I could have just had an 1hr and 20 min bus ride to SL, instead of a 3hr and 20 min bus ride to Greene County.

The truth is the last man standing out of this pod or this area has gone on to the state championship game 14 out of the last 17 years. Its always a loaded pod and it is what it is because we're kind of land locked up here. Makes the playoffs very competitive which is how it should be.

I do think WL would rather have that drive instead of playing another NWIA power. Maybe not the fans. I don't know anyone personally up there, nor do I know how good Greene County is but just my guess. Many NWIA teams are ecstatic when they get to travel out of the area with the potential to make a deeper run. Obviously have to beat the best to be the best but rather play them at the dome given the opportunity.

I do think WL would rather have that drive instead of playing another NWIA power. Maybe not the fans. I don't know anyone personally up there, nor do I know how good Greene County is but just my guess. Many NWIA teams are ecstatic when they get to travel out of the area with the potential to make a deeper run. Obviously have to beat the best to be the best but rather play them at the dome given the opportunity.
I agree, Hooper. There will be 2A district champions in eastern Iowa that would likely get 3rd in 2A-1 and 2A-2.

Reactions: Hooper2021
At the end of the day, to be a state champion you will have to beat the best sometime along the way. The reason there are always quality teams in NW Iowa is because there is always quality competition in NW Iowa.

Reactions: Hooper2021
If the top 2 seeds were to win the 1st round, which I know there will be at least one #3 win, but if that happens this is how I would pair them up.

CLGLR vs. Clarinda
Greene County vs. OABCIG

Spirit Lake vs. New Hampton
Osage vs. West Lyon

Monticello vs. Wahlert
West Marshall vs. Centerville

Williamsburg vs. PCM
Waukon vs. Northeast Goose Lake

There are some trips with this, and then you have Wahlert who only has a 40 minute drive, but I think this separates the powers, or at least separates the teams that have faced each other already.

At least the geography component can be more relaxed for Friday night games than it could have been for a Wednesday or a Monday, like the old days.

Reactions: IGo42
If the top 2 seeds were to win the 1st round, which I know there will be at least one #3 win, but if that happens this is how I would pair them up.

CLGLR vs. Clarinda
Greene County vs. OABCIG

Spirit Lake vs. New Hampton
Osage vs. West Lyon

Monticello vs. Wahlert
West Marshall vs. Centerville

Williamsburg vs. PCM
Waukon vs. Northeast Goose Lake

There are some trips with this, and then you have Wahlert who only has a 40 minute drive, but I think this separates the powers, or at least separates the teams that have faced each other already.
Clarinda to CLGLR is over 4 hour drive, but the Boys in Boone have done crazier things so who knows!!

I think we'll see (if 2 seeds win, which we know they won't all win):
CLGLR vs OABCIG
Spirit Lake vs West Lyon

Greene County vs PCM
West Marshall vs Clarinda

Waukon vs New Hampton
Osage vs Wahlert

Williamsburg vs Northeast GL
Monticello vs Centerville

I really would like to see the state try to get the four undefeated teams to the dome. I am not saying that they are the top 4 teams, but if you have four undefeated teams separate them if all possible.

Reactions: MsideChief
Official 1st Round Pairings!!

4th Place at 1st Place:
Iowa Falls-Alden (2-6) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (8-0)
Union, LaPorte City (2-6) at Greene County (7-1)
Central Lee, Donnellson (3-5) at Monticello (6-2)
Clarion-Goldfield-Dows (5-3) at Osage (6-2)
Sheldon (4-4) at Spirit Lake (8-0)
New Hampton (6-2) at Waukon (5-3)
Clarke, Osceola (5-3) at West Marshall (8-0)
Camanche (4-4) at Williamsburg (8-0)

3rd Place at 2nd Place:
Des Moines Christian (4-4) at Centerville (6-2)
Roland-Story (4-4) at Clarinda (5-3)
North Fayette Valley (6-2) at Crestwood, Cresco (5-3)
Mid-Prairie, Wellman (5-3) at Northeast (4-4)
Clear Lake (4-4) at PCM (5-3)
Unity Christian, Orange City (3-5) at OABCIG (7-1)
West Liberty (3-5) at Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque (6-2)
Estherville Lincoln Central (3-5) at West Lyon, Inwood (6-2)

Official 1st Round Pairings!!

4th Place at 1st Place:
Iowa Falls-Alden (2-6) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (8-0)
Union, LaPorte City (2-6) at Greene County (7-1)
Central Lee, Donnellson (3-5) at Monticello (6-2)
Sheldon (4-4) at Spirit Lake (8-0)
Clarke, Osceola (5-3) at West Marshall (8-0)
Camanche (4-4) at Williamsburg (8-0)

3rd Place at 2nd Place:
Unity Christian, Orange City (3-5) at OABCIG (7-1)
West Liberty (3-5) at Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque (6-2)
Estherville Lincoln Central (3-5) at West Lyon, Inwood (6-2)
Iowa Falls has a road trip to go play the best team in 2A. Yikes

These games all look like they have the potential to be good games!! The rest are probably blowouts.

4th Place at 1st Place:

3rd Place at 2nd Place:

These games all look like they have the potential to be good games!! The rest are probably blowouts.

4th Place at 1st Place:

3rd Place at 2nd Place:
Total guess for discussion......

POD Predictions (based on BCMoore Ranking picking round 1 winners)

- Separates all undefeated teams
- Tried to eliminate as many 1-2 district pairings (outside of D8)
- Competition similar
- Distance Similar

POD #1
D1 - 1 CLGLR
D2 - 2 OABCIG
D8 - 1 Greene County
D8 - 2 Clarinda

Total BCMoore Ranking: 33

POD #2
D2 - 1 Spirit Lake
D1 - 2 West Lyon
D3 - 1 Osage
D3 - 3 Clear Lake

Total BCMoore Ranking: 30

POD #3
D6 - 3 Mid Prairie
D7 - West Marshall
D4 - 1 Waukon
D3 - 2 Cresco

Total BCMoore Ranking: 51

POD #4
D6 - 1 Williamsburg
D8 - 3 Des Moines Christian
D5 - 1 Monticello
D4 - 2 Walhert

Total BCMoore Ranking: 41

4th Place at 1st Place:

3rd Place at 2nd Place:
Tough draw for Waukon for the 1 seed in the round of 32 to play a team that has been top 10 all season, but they are playing very solid in the trenches on both sides of the ball now. New Hampton has been running McShane 35-40 times a game this season and I don't think that will be sustainable as they start playing really solid playoff teams. Kid is a stud, but he is going to take a beating with that many carries this time of year.

Iowa Falls has a road trip to go play the best team in 2A. Yikes
I do not have a big problem with big road trips with all the playoff games on Friday nights.
Iowa Falls to Rock Rapids - 208 miles.
A couple years ago West Lyon traveled to Osage (192 miles) and won. The next Friday West Lyon played at Dike New Hartford (262 miles) and won to go to the Dome.
Central Lyon will roll Iowa Falls and will be in the Dome.

If they use distance as a primary factor I think this is what we could get (with my predicted winners!!). I think it lines up fairly well. Obviously Pod #1 is strong but with those schools all being so close I think it could happen. Regardless of how they do these pods I think we get a CLGLR vs Williamsburg championship game!!

POD #1
CLGLR
OABCIG or Clear Lake
Spirit Lake
West Lyon

POD #2
Osage
DSM Christian
Greene County
Clear Lake or OABCIG

POD #3
Waukon
Crestwood
Monticello
Wahlert

POD #4
Williamsburg
Mid Prairie
West Marshall
Clarinda

I do not have a big problem with big road trips with all the playoff games on Friday nights.
Iowa Falls to Rock Rapids - 208 miles.
A couple years ago West Lyon traveled to Osage (192 miles) and won. The next Friday West Lyon played at Dike New Hartford (262 miles) and won to go to the Dome.
Central Lyon will roll Iowa Falls and will be in the Dome.

I agree. I have no problem with traveling on Fridays, but if they are ok making Iowa Falls travel this far for the first game then they need to make an attempt to balance the PODS competitively regardless of travel. Undefeated teams should be split up at a minimum.

I would guess that CLGLR (1), Spirit Lake (3), OABCIG (7), and WL (8) will be in a POD (if they all win) and to me that would be putting travel ahead of competition.

Last edited:
I agree. I have no problem with traveling on Fridays, but if they are ok making Iowa Falls travel this far for the first game then they need to make an attempt to balance the PODS competitively regardless of travel. Undefeated teams should be split up at a minimum.

I would guess that CLGLR (1), Spirit Lake (3), OABCIG (7), and WL (8) will be in a POD (if they all win) and to me that would be putting travel ahead of competition.
Sending Iowa Falls isn't all that shocking when you look at the options on the table. Clarion-Goldfield-Dows is 3 hr 20 min away and Iowa Falls is right around 4hrs and they are the closest 4s outside of district 1. Clear Lake beating New Hampton threw a wrench into things and this is the result.

Related to Pods, the state has shown in the past its competition and geography as the 2 biggest factors and I think we see that again this year. Id love to see Pod 1 separated but I just don't think it'll happen.

Lastly paging @AllStateSnub8 playoff pick em?

I think that Waukon is the better team despite record, but if New Hampton beat Waukon which #2 do you think would get to host?

Pod A

Clarinda (6-3) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (9-0)

West Lyon, Inwood (7-2) at Greene County (8-1)

Pod B

OABCIG (8-1) at Osage (7-2)

Clear Lake (5-4) at Spirit Lake (9-0)

Pod C

Crestwood, Cresco (6-3) at Waukon (6-3)

Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque (7-2) at West Marshall (9-0)

Pod D

Centerville (7-2) at Monticello (7-2)

Mid-Prairie, Wellman (6-3) at Williamsburg (9-0)

Pods kept the 4 unbeatens separate and they all will host the quarterfinal games if they win this Friday. Pretty hard to complain about that. That seemed to take precedent over rematches or district rematches which is probably fair and best for travel. Either way, the cream will rise to the top.

I believe if CLGLR and Greene County would both win the Quarterfinal game would be at Greene County. Both teams were undefeated in district play and Greene County is later in the alphabet which is what the tie breaker is this year??

Either way CLGLR will make it out of that pod most likely!! Williamsburg will walk through their pod. Pods B and C might be a little more competitive but the undefeated teams probably make it out.

central lyon will probably beat greencounty by 14 ,,,,at least.....wonder why green county is not caledl jefferson, or jefferson community

Last edited:
Reactions: blcoach80
central lyon will probably beat greencounty by 14 ,,,,at least.....wonder why green county is not caledl jefferson, or jefferson community
I agree, which will let CL host in the quarters. If Greene County would win would they host based on being undefeated in the district and alphabet? They aren't winning this pod, but the alphabet thing ranks right up there with a coin flip for a tie breaker imo.

I have honestly never felt like home field is that much of an advantage in hs football. Maybe if the road team travels 3 hours, but otherwise no. The bigger classes maybe, but not the smaller ones.

I agree, which will let CL host in the quarters. If Greene County would win would they host based on being undefeated in the district and alphabet? They aren't winning this pod, but the alphabet thing ranks right up there with a coin flip for a tie breaker imo.

Assuming CL beats Clarinda, it'll either be CL at Greene County, or WL at CL.

Reactions: blcoach80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT