2A District #8 - Cascade
Substate # 4 - Beckman Catholic, Dyersville

2A District #9 - Wilton
2A District #10 - Regina, Iowa City
Substate #5 - Wilton

2A District #11 - Pella Christian
2A District #12 - Woodward-Granger
Substate #6 - Woodward-Granger

2A District # 13 - Dike-New Hartford (over West Marshall)
2A District #14 - Van Meter
Substate #7 - Van Meter

2A District #15 - Tri-Center, Neola
2A District #16 - Treynor
Substate # 8 - Treynor

The 2A field is wide open and is difficult to project. I'm far from certain on four of these picks. I think the 1A field could give 2A a run for its money this year.

With first round games completed involving all #3-6 seeds, no significant upsets occurred. The next round could result in a few.

Some games of interest in the District Semifinals:

District #3: Alta/Aurelia vs. Pocahontas Area (at Kuemper)
District # 4: Clear Lake vs. GHV (at Forest City)
District #11: Davis County vs. Pella Christian (at Centerville)
District #12: Woodward-Granger vs. Central Decatur (at W-G)
District #14: PCM vs. Roland-Story (at Van Meter)

Based on what
Based upon the quality of teams like North Linn, Mason City Newman, MStM, Lisbon, Don Bosco, & CB St. Albert. Each of these teams has had their share of success against some pretty good 1A/2A/3A/4A competition:

North Linn has defeated Jesup, NE Goose Lake (twice), Lisbon (twice), Don Bosco, Monticello; lost a close 2-1 game to Cascade.

MC Newman has defeated Clear Lake, ELC, Forest City, Saint Ansgar, & Mason City; lost close games to CB St. Albert & Saint Ansgar.

MStM has defeated DM North, Roland-Story (twice), EBF, Pleasantville (twice), Chariton, & Treynor; lost close game to Van Meter.

Lisbon has defeated Mount Vernon & Dav North; lost a close game to North Linn. Austin Krob will give you a chance to win any game.

Don Bosco's only losses are to Dyersville Beckman, North Linn, Cascade, D-NH, & West Marshall. This is probably the weakest resume, but Trever Brown will give you a chance to win nearly every game he pitches.

CB St. Albert has defeated all the CB schools, Kuemper (twice), Newman Catholic, Glenwood, Oskaloosa, & Harlan.

These are some salty teams that, even with pitch counts, need less pitching depth in a three-game state tournament than during the regular season.

Based upon the quality of teams like North Linn, Mason City Newman, MStM, Lisbon, Don Bosco, & CB St. Albert. Each of these teams has had their share of success against some pretty good 1A/2A/3A/4A competition:

North Linn has defeated Jesup, NE Goose Lake (twice), Lisbon (twice), Don Bosco, Monticello; lost a close 2-1 game to Cascade.

MC Newman has defeated Clear Lake, ELC, Forest City, Saint Ansgar, & Mason City; lost close games to CB St. Albert & Saint Ansgar.

MStM has defeated DM North, Roland-Story (twice), EBF, Pleasantville (twice), Chariton, & Treynor; lost close game to Van Meter.

Lisbon has defeated Mount Vernon & Dav North; lost a close game to North Linn. Austin Krob will give you a chance to win any game.

Don Bosco's only losses are to Dyersville Beckman, North Linn, Cascade, D-NH, & West Marshall. This is probably the weakest resume, but Trever Brown will give you a chance to win nearly every game he pitches.

CB St. Albert has defeated all the CB schools, Kuemper (twice), Newman Catholic, Glenwood, Oskaloosa, & Harlan.

These are some salty teams that, even with pitch counts, need less pitching depth in a three-game state tournament than during the regular season.
You can say the same for most classes

The biggest upset so far was in District #13 where a 9-win South Hamilton team knocked off #4 Dike-New Hartford last night 2-0. They will face West Marshall for a berth in the substate final against the winner of Van Meter & Roland-Story.

Eddyville was ahead of Centerville early last night by a score of 6-1, but Centerville won going away 15-11. EBF gave Centerville at least 10 freebies via the walk/HBP.

PC overcame Davis County 7-6 in a game that featured four lead changes.

Treynor avoided a huge upset in a 4-3 win over Red Oak in 8 innings.

However, the story of the night was the Des Moines Christian win by forfeit over I-35 (Truro). Apparently, I-35 used a pitcher that hadn't gotten the required rest, and there was confusion about rest period requirements from one week to the next. I-35 won 11-6, but DMC was awarded the win and advanced via forfeit 7-0.

Not surprisingly, I did a pretty poor job in the 2A field.

I did well predicting Substate 4, 5, & 8, but...

Cherokee knocked off Sioux Center 6-2 in District 1
Kuemper squeaked by Alta/Aurelia 8-7 in District 3
Forest City shut out GHV in District 4
Denver killed Jesup 12-1 in District 6
Centerville shut down PC 4-1 in District 11
West Marshall easily handled South Hamilton 10-2 in District 13

Should be some great games on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT