ADVERTISEMENT

2A- Boyden Hill vs North Linn

Alright. So I'll start this off. NL looks really tough again but BH won't be fazed by the press near as much as Trrynor way. I'll take BH 67-60 is a complete battle!

Watching a team like Treynor struggle against that pressure was like being in the twilight zone. That said, when NL is on point with their pressure, it's relentless.

The outcome will be much like it was last year. At some point NL will explode and go up by 10-15 points and put the game away. They handle the ball well, shoot FT’s well and are fundamentally sound on defense.

North Linn will pressure their way to another title. BH won't be able to avoid making too many mistakes, leading to easy baskets.

My hat is certainly off to North Linn. I thought both West Sioux and Treynor would handle the pressure and beat NL. Obviously, not the case. I have great respect for Boyden Hull's program, but I think NL is on a roll and will win the title.

Fan restrictions are in place for Friday's championship games. Only the team, immediate family members, and arena workers will be allowed to be in attendance.

I'm going with Boyden-Hull with the revenge factor. The key for them will be to take care of the ball and limit North Linn's transition buckets. If they can keep them in a half-court game I think B-H's length on defense will give North Linn problems. Boyden-Hull in a close one.

Reactions: LAK26
Hilmer or Miller will be contained well by Frick. He's shut down so many good players this year! So fun to watch his defense. NL made a huge run last year with JAKE. Hes gone now so I really don't think NL will disturb BH as muc . But I could be wrong. Hopefully the crowd won't take the kids out of their game! Hoping for an amazing game!

BH has a matchup problem with Miller who has dominated two very athletic teams. But the NL guards will struggle in this one unless they can create mayhem like Wednesday night. I have Boyden Hull in a low scoring close game.

Good first half. Pace seems to favor BH. I wonder if NL backed off the press to save some gas for the 2nd half in hopes that BH starts to fatigue. BH handled it pretty well in the 1st half.

You'd think they'd have fixed/figured out the live stats at this point, but no. Two games left in the tourney - still time!

North Linn down 16 after 3 quarters and have just 31 points. Previous low point total was 56 against West Sioux.
They scored 70+ in every regular season game.

Perfect game for Boyden-Hull. They controlled the tempo and handled North Linn's pressure very well. Made it a half court game where they were the better team. Winning a championship is always sweet but doing it while beating the team that beat you last year must make it a little sweeter.

Reactions: LAK26 and RJV2324
Hat's off to Boyden-Hull -- they had an excellent plan and executed it very well. North Linn had to back off their press and as Sarcasio pointed out, BH was a better half court team. NL is just an ordinary half court defensive team without the press and traps. BH had more options offensively while NL is primarily a 2 man offense without the quick buckets off their press.

Best team won for sure. Very impressed how BH handled the pressure and forced the game halfcourt. Fun 2A tourney

Good first half. Pace seems to favor BH. I wonder if NL backed off the press to save some gas for the 2nd half in hopes that BH starts to fatigue. BH handled it pretty well in the 1st half.

they essentially played 6 guys all night. I don’t think You will ever see a BH team fatigued. Great tournament. North Linn is a great team and has been for quite some time. Even in a horrible conference, they’ve played well at state, higher than my expectations. BH was the class of the field, especially on the defensive side. Not always, but When push comes to shove, having tougher competition throughout the year usually prevails. When you hold teams 36 points, 20 points, and 33 points below their normal average, that’s some pretty stout defense. And they do it with simple man to man, help defense all night long. That along with an always balanced offense. Again great tournament with a lot of good teams.

also for what it’s worth, I think the co-coach thing is lame. The guys a legend, but now he’s just padding stats.

they essentially played 6 guys all night. I don’t think You will ever see a BH team fatigued.

Agreed. That's why I said in hopes of. Meaning they get used to playing against no pressure & NL springs it on you again later in the game when the gas tank is a little lower. But those kid were very disciplined and very fundamentally sound.

That was the best 2A field top to bottom that I've seen in a long time. Congrats to the Comets!

Reactions: Jayz10
Just some stats from these 2 teams

BH had 4 players average in double figures for the tourney

Tanner TeSlaa -------14.6
Andrew Frick ---------14.6
Marcus Kelderman -12.6
Keaton Moser -------10.6

North Linn had 2 players average in double figures

Austin Miller ---------25.3
Austin Hilmer -------14.3
Haughenbury-------- 9.3

Rebounding totals
BH vs WG -------------46 - 17
Bh vs Camanche -----36 - 32
BH vs North Linn -----34 - 30

NL vs WS -------------28 - 26
NL vs Treynor -------27 - 30
NL vs BH -------------30 - 34

Teams average vs tourney score against North Linn:
West Sioux --------------80.8 ------51 ---------29.8 under scoring average
Treynor -------------------67.9 ------58 ---------9.9 under scoring average
Boyden Hull -------------62.4 ------64 ---------1.8 over scoring average

Teams average vs tourney score against Boyden Hull:
Woodward Granger -----61.8 -----26 ----------35.8 under scoring average
Camanche ----------------69.7 -----49 ----------20.7 under scoring average
North Linn -----------------82.6 ------51-----------30.6 under scoring average

BH had a different leading scorer in each of their 3 state games.

And just to finish it off these 2 teams have both had a very successful last 4 trips to state
BH 11-1 -----------1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st
North Linn 9-3 ---3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd

Last edited:
Reactions: NWIA_37
Also before I forget I saw a tweet this morning from Mike Hilmer the head coach from North Linn.

"Hats off to Boyden-Hull and Coach Francis on a great game yesterday. Total respect for a program that is a class act from kids to coaches and fans! Always tough to lose a title game, but easy to be happy for a group that we respect so much. Enjoy the championship - WELL deserved!"

He gets bashed on this forum a lot but the man seems like a class act to me.

Also before I forget I saw a tweet this morning from Mike Hilmer the head coach from North Linn.

"Hats off to Boyden-Hull and Coach Francis on a great game yesterday. Total respect for a program that is a class act from kids to coaches and fans! Always tough to lose a title game, but easy to be happy for a group that we respect so much. Enjoy the championship - WELL deserved!"

He gets bashed on this forum a lot but the man seems like a class act to me.

What did equal Co-coach Bob Hilmer have to say?

Reactions: NWIA_37
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT