ADVERTISEMENT

2A 2022

Who would be your top 10 2A teams for 2022?
I think it has to start with Central Lyon at the top. The talent they bring back should give them the early nod. OABCIG will be up there as well with their quarterback. Southeast Valley lost quite a bit from last years team and title run. Not sure what they have. Also not sure what teams like Waylon, Williamsburg and West Lyon have coming back. They all have great tradition so I’m sure they’ll be able to reset and have successful seasons.
But, based on the quarterback play, I like Central Lyon and OABCIG at the top. Any other teams from the eastern side or teams under the radar?

But, based on the quarterback play, I like Central Lyon and OABCIG at the top. Any other teams from the eastern side or teams under the radar?
Based on QB play, Monticello would be #1 in 2A. Their QB (Preston Ries) threw for 2594 yards and added another 1343 rushing as a sophomore. Accounted for 34 TD.

Iowa commit.

Based on QB play, Monticello would be #1 in 2A. Their QB (Preston Ries) threw for 2594 yards and added another 1343 rushing as a sophomore. Accounted for 34 TD.

Iowa commit.
Fair point. Had a heck of a season last year and also got it done defensively with 8.5 sacks. They will be a tough out coming from the eastern side. Central Lyon quarterback didn’t have as many yards passing with just over a thousand, but did have 31 TDs to go along with 1200 yards rushing and 22 TDs for 53 total as a junior. Southeast Valley won it last year with great play from their QB position among other areas. Looks like that will be the case this season with Monti and CL. Should be fun to see how these teams progress through the season and what numbers their QBs can put up.

Iowa commit.
CLGLRs QB is also a Iowa commit.
Right now I think CLGLR and Williamsburg are at the top.

central lyon zach lutmer, qb, is indeed an iowa recruit. he was not highly sought after , but non the less, a honor to be recuirted d1

they had a full scrimmage against Sioux Falls ogorman a few weeks back

Are you sure that scrimmage wasn't at the South Dakota State team camp back in late June? If so, teams are allowed to go to team camps and scrimmage (as long as they aren't hosted by IHSAA schools). I know other teams that have gone to team camps hosted by colleges and scrimmaged other teams.

nope, this was a scrimmage between ogorman and clglr a week or two after the camp. a friend reffed it. said clglr rolled them

Holy Smokes another football season upon us. I gotta be honest it kind of snuck up on me this year, but man am I excited. Its true the Lions have been hard at it this summer. It was a team camp that the Lions participated in with O'gorman hosted by O'gorman. They did end the camp with live goes with officials. Varsity and JV both participated. Saying the Lions rolled them would be a stretch although they were very competitive.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a deep dive but I'll give my top four which in no particular order would be Williamsburg, West Lyon, CLGLR and OABCIG. I think you could list them all in any order and make a reasonable argument for it. I see there's some talk about Monticello so I went back and watched some games from last year. The QB is very talented and likely will compete for player of the year. I would say they will have to be much improved on defense if they are going to make a deep run this year. I was most impressed with the WR #2 that I believe graduated, so they will have to have someone step up and take over his roll on the offense.

The Lions host Lemars here in town Friday for a scrimmage, then get the season rolling with 3 of the first 4 games being against teams that were in the finals from 3A down to 1A with RVBH, West Sioux and West Lyon. The lone team not to make the finals will be a 3A playoff team in SBL. The Lions main strengths this year will be speed and athleticism. The line play looks pretty good already with one kid committed to USD anchoring the o-line. They have 2 kids that tore ACLs early last year that I think will make an impact right away on both offense and defense. One was in camp the other the first series against RVBH. Its going to be a fun season and I know the Lions are chomping at the bit to get it started.

Nice write-up HawkinWater. There's some really talented teams up there in the NW corner of Iowa

Waukon will be a solid top 10 at least team again this year. They return pretty much their entire OL and DL along with their QB and have a very solid RB and OL transfer this season. Time will tell as they open with 4A powerhouse Waverly-Shell Rock and 3A Decorah this year. I think they will be very comparable to last years team and as always they have excellent coaching. I'm ready for football to start again!

I think the clear top 5 in 2A in no particular order are: Central Lyon, West Lyon, OABCIG, Williamsburg, and Waukon. It might be another wide open year in 2A!!

Teams like Monticello, NFV, Greene County, Wahlert, and others might also contend and I'm sure there are others!! And you still have teams like Spirit Lake and PCM lurking in the shadows!!

Reactions: blcoach80
Waukon will be a solid top 10 at least team again this year. They return pretty much their entire OL and DL along with their QB and have a very solid RB and OL transfer this season. Time will tell as they open with 4A powerhouse Waverly-Shell Rock and 3A Decorah this year. I think they will be very comparable to last years team and as always they have excellent coaching. I'm ready for football to start again!
Agree, the coaching staff up at Waukon does an excellent job and always puts together a great product. I heard they had most of their O/D linemen back, who is the transfer and where did he come from?

Agree, the coaching staff up at Waukon does an excellent job and always puts together a great product. I heard they had most of their O/D linemen back, who is the transfer and where did he come from?
A Palmer who originally went to Waukon, then transferred to Decorah about 5 years ago, and now open enrolled in Waukon last spring again. He is 195lbs., strong as an ox, and was the top 100M and 200M sprinter in track last year for Waukon. He will surprise a lot of people I think, especially with the talent they have on the OL. They have another senior RB who was injured all year last year who is very talented as well along with a sophomore and junior RB who are going to be the future RB's next year. They really only had 3 starters graduate last year, but 2 were LB/RB all state players as well. This year's senior class for Waukon is loaded and most are 2 or 3 year starters so I expect them to surprise a lot of people. Most of these kids were on the sidelines behind studs as sophomores when when they beat Lutmer and Central Lyon 2 years ago in the 2A finals.

Good to see you back this year @blcoach80. I left Waukon off my list quite frankly because I had no idea where they stood coming into this year. Thanks for the update. I should have included them just based off tradition. I will for sure be following their season with interest this year. Best of Luck to your team.

Same with you HawkinWater. The top 4 you listed are absolutely at the top of 2A this year. NW Iowa is loaded with football talent in multiple classes every year and that doesn't happen by luck. I always enjoy hearing about the teams in western Iowa as until they get to the dome I really don't see much of them. As a fan of sports in general, high school football is as good as it gets in my opinion. These young men put the work in and it shows on the field. Best of luck to the Lions as well. Hopefully our teams will collide in the dome again as I'm sure that is all these top teams goal is to be playing in late November yet!

CLGLR makes a statement with 52-7 win over BHRV. The Nighthawks lost a lot of talent and production from last years runner up team, but they’re still a solid team that I think will have a very nice season. The Lions defense was stifling all night and the QB is as good as advertised. It’s only week 1 but does the title go through a team from NW Iowa?

Williamsburg also looked great with a 31-0 win over Regina. Maybe they will have something to say. Monticello drops the opening game, 21-13 to 1A Cascade. What happened in that one?

CLGLR makes a statement with 52-7 win over BHRV. The Nighthawks lost a lot of talent and production from last years runner up team, but they’re still a solid team that I think will have a very nice season. The Lions defense was stifling all night and the QB is as good as advertised. It’s only week 1 but does the title go through a team from NW Iowa?

Williamsburg also looked great with a 31-0 win over Regina. Maybe they will have something to say. Monticello drops the opening game, 21-13 to 1A Cascade. What happened in that one?
BHRV did not have a good game. Starting to think my Knights might finally beat them this year. CLGLR should easily win our district though. Wouldn’t be surprised if they won it all this year.

Reactions: MsideChief
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT