ADVERTISEMENT

21 game limit?

Aug 9, 2012
Our high school basketball teams had a game taken off of the schedule at the last minute because the opponent realized that they were over 21 games. I see that a few schools are playing 22 regular season games. How does that work?

All teams are limited at 21 games. However, if your team is chosen to play at one of the coaching clinics at the beginning of the year, the girls association will allow you to play a extra game. Our local team has done this twice in the last 10 or 12 years so it is not something you get to do every year.

That is correct, however if you only have 20 games on your schedule the state may give an exemption to another school to get their 22nd game to play you. It needs to be approved by the Girls Union. May be a little late to add a game now.

I don't think they play those clinic games anymore do they MOby? I know we played in a couple but I thought they got rid of those games....I think the answer is more what 3times said- a team needed a 21st game and so the union approved 22nd game for someone else.
I could be wrong on the clinic games but I thought they got away from that.

The are correct, but you can also petition the state to play a 22nd game not only to get someone else to 21 but you can also get an exemption to play a marquee game, like two top ranked teams wanting to play or, like Mason City this year to go play in a one game classic in Minneapolis against a top ranked team there.

But, I believe, you can only be given the exemption for like 4 or 5 consecutive years then you would have at least one year of only 21 games before getting an exemption again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT