ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Class A Predictions

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
This is what I have for class A, figured it might get some discussion going.

Top Ten
  • Wapsie Valley
  • Lynnville Sully
  • East Buchanan
  • HMS
  • Woodbury Central
  • West Hancock
  • Grundy Center
  • Mount Ayr
  • North Linn
  • Belle Plaine

Others Considered: Lisbon, South O’Brien, Belle Plaine, Newman, North Union

To me Class A appears to be wide open on paper, I don’t think there are any clear-cut favorites like last year with West Hancock and Grundy Center. I put Wapsie Valley at 1 and I will say I can see arguments for others, but I see them as a team that was young last year, took some lumps early then figured it out and made a nice run to the quarters, the other thing they have is tradition which can help in big games. Lynnville Sully at 2, they were super young last year as well, I would say my biggest concern is that outside of Belle Plaine their district is super weak and while I think Pleasantville will give them a challenge in the non-district they may not be tested enough deep in the playoffs. East Buchanan is a team that made the semis and hung tough with West Hancock for a half, and return some studs, but also have to figure out a few pieces, I would say my concern is that they struggled last year with some mediocre teams. HMS at 4, and I really think they may have been the 3rd best team in the state last year, with their loses coming to West Hancock twice and a really good West Sioux. They return quite a bit, but also lose a great running back. Woodbury Central is a program that has been pretty consistent the last few seasons, they lose their QB I believe but return quite a bit of production. West Hancock at 6 and truthfully, I don’t know what to do with them, they lose a bunch of production but at the same time I think they find a way to reload not rebuild. Same goes for Grundy at 7, they have played in the finals the last three seasons and while I think they take a step back, I know that they have had success in the grades coming up to Varsity. Mount Ayr is another program that has been consistent and they look to have a bunch of pieces back off of a successful season. North Linn surprised last year, and I think their 1st string could be as talented as anyone, but I question their concern. I put Belle Plaine at 10 over the other 4 listed because they do return a bunch, and will win a bunch of games in their district, but not sure I see them going deep in the playoffs. Lisbon should win that SE Iowa District, but I think will have to figure a few things out. South O’Brien seems to be the 2nd best team in NW Iowa. Newman has one of the best QBs in the state, it’ll be interesting to see how they build around that. Finally North Union is a bit of a sleeper pick, they played a bunch of quality teams tight and return some nice players.

Not bad but I have to have WH and GC the top two just because of the sustained success. North Tama had a decent season last year did they fall off? I can see them and Lisbon cracking that top ten.

I don't disagree at all with having WH and GC higher until someone knocks them off, I mean both have won over 30 games the last 3 years and always seem to be in the dome.

North Tama could easily be there in the end, they were just so senior heavy last year, and the Kopriva kid was so good for them at QB I have questions about how they will be especially to start.

Lisbon I put in my others just outside of the top 10, they will benefit from an easier district, but they also had a pretty good senior class to replace.

LoMa and Southwest Valley are other schools that were strong last year, but lost quite a bit.

There are also a few traditionally strong programs that had a down year last year that I would guess will be right back in the mix, and a few other schools that maybe surprised and lose some important pieces.

Schools like:

St. Ansgar
South Winn
North Butler
Wapello

Like I said class A should be pretty wide open this year

Belle Plaine has 14 kids out. Top 10? Um no. They will be lucky to complete the season. they only have 4 games scheduled

Last edited:
I will take a stab at it:

#1 West Hancock
2 Grundy Center
3 Woodburry Central
4 St Ansger ( Yes they are back after a down year )
5 East Buchanan
6 Waspie Valley
7 MT Ayer
8 HMS
9 Wappallo
10 Lisbon

I totally missed Lynville Sully, yes they return a ton of skill guys from last year and will definatley be in the mix as I wouls slide them in at 7 and move everyone else down 1 spot.

#1 West Hancock
2 Grundy Center
3 Woodburry Central
5 East Buchanan
6 Waspie Valley
7 MT Ayer
8 HMS
9 Wappallo
10 Lisbon
Wapello? We’ll see them week 1. I’ve heard their numbers are down.

When is it supposed to be updated by?
Usually rosters dont have to be updated until first game and some coaches wait till the last minute because for some reason they think its an advantage. I put Wappallo in my top ten because they return a lot of really good kids and really had every opportunity to beat North Tama last year in the playoffs. I don't think their district is real strong this year so I think they can win that district.

• "Comments on the conference race: Lynnville-Sully will be the team to beat this year in the district as they return most everybody from last season’s district winning team. The key for us will be to stay healthy and the development of our freshmen and sophomores to play at the varsity level as we currently have just 12 healthy players on the roster." Belle Plaine head coach Todd Bohlen

Tough break for belle plain. Great town. Hopefully they get more to come out. I don’t see WV as a number one. They will be good tho. GC , North Linn HMS and Woodbury Central would be my top four.

Belle Plaine has 21 i believe listed on their roster for this season. Just looking at roster sizes for most of the class A teams it seems that quite a few teams are in their low to mid 20s with probably the avg in the mid to upper 30s. You just hope at a small school you don't have back to back small classes or I think in some of these cases more girls than boys in each class.

Only six unbeaten teams left in Class A. Hard to tell if a team is legit or not with some of the schedule played. Grundy Beat a tough Dike New HArtford team and wapsi valley. Not sure lynnville sully plays anyone with a winning record.

Even though I had Wapsie Valley #1 to start, and I think they could still beat Grundy or West Hancock, I think that Grundy and West Hancock are clearly the top two teams.

Does anyone want to pick someone to win the state title besides those two teams?

#1 West Hancock
2 Grundy Center
3 Woodburry Central
5 East Buchanan
6 Waspie Valley
7 MT Ayer
8 HMS
9 Wappallo
10 Lisbon
Well I had West Hancock and Grundy 1 and 2 and still think they are the best two teams and not by a little, I still have 5 of the 10 still in the rankings. Little disapointed in my Wappalo pick as I really thought they would be better, also Wapsie and Lisbon have played the toughest part of their seasons in the first 4 weeks so I see them both making a run. I dont think anyone saw Columbus Junction starting 4-0 in pretty much dominating fashion, will be a huge game week 8 with them and current # 9 Alburnett more than likely for the district championship.

Even though I had Wapsie Valley #1 to start, and I think they could still beat Grundy or West Hancock, I think that Grundy and West Hancock are clearly the top two teams.

Does anyone want to pick someone to win the state title besides those two teams?
Those two should be ranked 1 and 2 every single year to start the year until someone knocks them off, it doesn't matter what they lose those programs have tradition and the next group just follows. I think Grundy might be real close to being bumped up to 1A next year so that might be the only way to not rank them in A.

I'm not sure Heelan can beat any of these teams, and prob not Nebraska either - OK, my wife said to get off line - she doesn't see my humor?

Anyone have a good read on Columbus junction? Unbeaten and will really only be tested vs alburnet on the last game? Not even in a few top ten polls. Looks like they can score a ton

I think they are a quality team, but they have been bad for so long and played a weak schedule that people are slow to rank them.

Anyone have a good read on Columbus junction? Unbeaten and will really only be tested vs alburnet on the last game? Not even in a few top ten polls. Looks like they can score a ton
I know they are huge up front with some very fast backs seeing film on them. I believe this is a new coaching staff but I could be wrong. They don't have the toughest of sched but I do think the game that really stood out was the win over Lisbon and it really wasn't even close. Like you said the district will come down to the last game with them and Alburnett as 2 polar opposite teams in one that runs all night and one in Alb that throws it all over. Eastern Iowa will be interesting when class A playoff pairings and pods are announced and where they will send teams. the forst rd we know is 1-4-2-3 match ups then the following week 4 team pods.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT