ADVERTISEMENT

2022 1A Football Preseason

EIHCGuy

Freshman
Sep 9, 2015
I think West Sioux is probably the pre-season favorite.

Dike-NH (Hall and Wolston Show)
Van Meter (they always reload)
OABCIG (lil DeSean shines)
West Branch (transfers will help)
Pella Christian (Kac is back)
Beckman (OLine is biggest in 1A)
Regina (because why not)

Thoughts?

OABCIG is 2A.

Underwood and Denver could also be in the mix. Woodward-Granger returns a lot and they were a playoff team a year ago.

Reactions: GoEagles23
Underwood will not advance beyond round of 8 for the same reason Woodward-Granger will not:

Van Meter.

Ravlin is a good QB, but losing an 1800 yard rusher is gonna be tough. WG just doesn't have enough to get to the next level.

Denver can have a good season, but has to get beyond Dike to get anywhere. Just cannot see it happening in 2022.

West Branch returns a 1400 yard rusher and adds a kid who threw for 1400 at 4A. If they can replace the Berry kid on the line somehow, they may sneak up on some people. They still have to get over the Regina monkey that's on their back do the Bears. 16 years and running.

West Sioux is a lock for the Dome. I agree with EIHC.

Reactions: GitRDone_51
Could be a fun District 5 this year for the Bears.

Mepo will be a tough one even if it's in WB. The Bears hope this is the year the drought ends vs Regina. The Regals always seems to find kids ready to replace graduates. OL will be where the Regals need to replace the must, but I'm guessing the transition will be smooth.

Sleeper Team: Wilton
Team that could muck things up: Durant. If they can get DeLong going, the Cats could be a problem.

Which team could make a deep run?
Regina or West Branch. The Regals just have a pedigree for success. While WB is gonna be very dual threat on offense.

Could be a fun District 5 this year for the Bears.

Mepo will be a tough one even if it's in WB. The Bears hope this is the year the drought ends vs Regina. The Regals always seems to find kids ready to replace graduates. OL will be where the Regals need to replace the must, but I'm guessing the transition will be smooth.

Sleeper Team: Wilton
Team that could muck things up: Durant. If they can get DeLong going, the Cats could be a problem.

Which team could make a deep run?
Regina or West Branch. The Regals just have a pedigree for success. While WB is gonna be very dual threat on offense.
I’d have to back and watch film, but what did WB and Durant lose for OL/DL? And are they replaceable with what they have. I would pick the same top 4 for the district, just think it’s closer than last year.

I’d have to back and watch film, but what did WB and Durant lose for OL/DL? And are they replaceable with what they have. I would pick the same top 4 for the district, just think it’s closer than last year.
The Bears lost a 3 year starting two-way lineman in Drake Berry. They return a bulk of the OL, and a majority of the skill position players. Plus, the addition of a 1400 yard passer may free up Henson more.

Gonna be a deep district. Fun for sure.

I think Underwood will represent the SW part of the state unless they are forced to play NW like they did last year. Van Meter is going to be down this year. Granted VM being down is still pretty darn good, but I think the size of Underwood can beat them.
If they go by areas, I think it will be West Sioux in NW Iowa. Underwood in SW. Dike in NE. SE is tricky. I see 4 teams that stand out. WB, Regina, PC and Mepo returns a lot from last years team that lost to PC in the playoffs. Very interesting indeed.

Last edited:
what’s the out of season or summer rule on scrimmages? heard a local team had a padded scrimmage this summer. Back in my day this was a no no out of season

Reactions: BlameIt
what’s the out of season or summer rule on scrimmages? heard a local team had a padded scrimmage this summer. Back in my day this was a no no out of season
No OOS scrimmages other than the "Soup Game"/Meet Team night a week before season

friend of mine reffed a game between a NW Iowa team and a Sioux Falls team a few weeks back. No camp he reached because he was surprised this was legal in Iowa now. I guess it’s not

Back to 2022 1A discussion, who yall got for a potential Final 4?

West Sioux
Dike
???
????

My top 10
1. West Sioux
2. Van Meter
3. Dike New Hartford
4. Regina
5. South Central Calhoun
6. West Branch
7. Pella Christian
8. Denver
9. Underwood
10. AC/GC

There’s a lot of quality teams in 1A this year.

My top 10
1. West Sioux
2. Van Meter
3. Dike New Hartford
4. Regina
5. South Central Calhoun
6. West Branch
7. Pella Christian
8. Denver
9. Underwood
10. AC/GC

I think Columbus needs in there and AC/GC needs to be dropped. VM is too high for all they lost.

I think Columbus needs in there and AC/GC needs to be dropped. VM is too high for all they lost.
Hartz, Heine, Gallagher is a lot to use.
Gallagher was arguably a top 5 talent in all of 1A. Their defense could be good up front, the Knipp kid is a monster. Having to find a way to replace the best QB-WR combo in school history along with Westhoff may be too much to ask. Time will tell though.

Van Meter reloads. They may not be state champ favorites, but they will be in the mix. The system is built too well to fail.

Reactions: IGo42
That is exactly what I was thinking. Van Meter will reload, when’s the last time they lost a regular season game? Columbus I think will be ok, but Gallagher was special and if I recall they didn’t have great depth last year. I put AC/GC at 10 because their staff has really brought an identity to the program.

Reactions: IGo42 and BlameIt
My top 10
1. West Sioux
2. Van Meter
3. Dike New Hartford
4. Regina
5. South Central Calhoun
6. West Branch
7. Pella Christian
8. Denver
9. Underwood
10. AC/GC

Is Mediapolis a sleeper team in 1A? I think they will be in the top 10 before long if they don’t start the season in it. They have some nice talent and experience coming back at their skill positions and the success they’ve had is something they can use to make a solid run this season.

Is Mediapolis a sleeper team in 1A? I think they will be in the top 10 before long if they don’t start the season in it. They have some nice talent and experience coming back at their skill positions and the success they’ve had is something they can use to make a solid run this season.

Guess we will find out in Weeks 4 and 5. I'm just not seeing them any better than third in 1A-5

Guess we will find out in Weeks 4 and 5. I'm just not seeing them any better than third in 1A-5
I wouldn't start them in Top 10 either. Like EIHCGuy said, we'll find out in Weeks 4 and 5. If they can beat one or both of ICR and West Branch then maybe. The last 2 years have been close games with West Branch and I don't see it going any different this year. Last year they were beat in the trenches by ICR, West Branch and Durant. It'll come down to that. Can Mepo stop the other teams' running game and get theirs going as well as keep the QB clean in passing situations. Another big thing will be being more disciplined and not committing so many penalties and turnovers. The game vs Durant last year was ugly. The game vs ICR was a blowout, but Mepo did have the ball inside ICR territory and redzone quite a few times, just didn't capitalize and iCR did on turnovers. I see them anywhere from 1-4 in the district. I think West Branch will be better, but ICR takes a step back towards the group. Durant is the wildcard if they get DeLong going or not each game.

No MFL? Three straight years to the quarterfinals and pretty sure they have most of their team back (but graduation of McShane a big loss) . They had 6 or 7 sophs and a freshman starting when they beat Denver and Regina last year in the playoffs. Maybe they're one more year away, but I think they'll battle Beckman for the district title.

Beckman is too good not to be in the Top 10. They handled WB pretty easily last year. They graduated some good players but have a really good nucleus coming back with some big physical linemen and a fast talented QB.

South Central Calhoun plays a weak schedule and graduated McAlister their best player. They shouldn't be a top 10 team until they beat someone good, in my opinion.

I'd take SSC and Denver out of your Top 10, move WB and PC up a spot and add Beckman and MFL in there somewhere.

Last edited:
1 West Sioux
2 Dike NH
3 Pella Christian
4 Van Meter
5 Beckman
6 Ragina
7 Underwood
8 Denver
9 MFL
10 A-P

Lurking: Mepo, WB, Sig-Keota, Columbus, Wood-Grange

Reactions: IGo42
No MFL? Three straight years to the quarterfinals and pretty sure they have most of their team back (but graduation of McShane a big loss) . They had 6 or 7 sophs and a freshman starting when they beat Denver and Regina last year in the playoffs. Maybe they're one more year away, but I think they'll battle Beckman for the district title.

Beckman is too good not to be in the Top 10. They handled WB pretty easily last year. They graduated some good players but have a really good nucleus coming back with some big physical linemen and a fast talented QB.

South Central Calhoun plays a weak schedule and graduated McAlister their best player. They shouldn't be a top 10 team until they beat someone good, in my opinion.

I'd take SSC and Denver out of your Top 10, move WB and PC up a spot and add Beckman and MFL in there somewhere.
How do you think MFL will be this year? Lost their top two RBs, but the next ones in line were two sophs and a junior last year. QB was a soph and that younger group made up 5 of their top 8 tackle leaders. Looks like they have some decent play makers and talent that got some good varsity experience last season. How will they be up front of the O and D lines?

How do you think MFL will be this year? Lost their top two RBs, but the next ones in line were two sophs and a junior last year. QB was a soph and that younger group made up 5 of their top 8 tackle leaders. Looks like they have some decent play makers and talent that got some good varsity experience last season. How will they be up front of the O and D lines?
You might know more than me, all I heard from a guy up there is that they have almost everyone back besides the RB & FB, but they had some good backs waiting for their chance. They had a good freshman starting at RT last year, he was like 6'3 285 as a freshman and could move. Supposedly he's even bigger this year. Also heard that soph QB they had last year was getting moved to the backfield, he was like 6'0 185 as a soph, probably bigger now, those kids up there hit the weightroom pretty hard. Guy said this year's junior class was undefeated all through middle school, including 30+ pt wins over big schools like Waukon and Decorah.

Last edited:
1 West Sioux
2 Dike NH
3 Pella Christian
4 Van Meter
5 Beckman
6 Ragina
7 Underwood
8 Denver
9 MFL
10 A-P

Lurking: Mepo, WB, Sig-Keota, Columbus, Wood-Grange
#1 and #2 will finish that way at the end. PC is way too high. Underwood is too low. I also think VM is a little too high.

Any of my other 1A-D5 guys (or anyone else) hearing that Louisa-Muscatine may not play a varsity schedule this year?
This cannot be allowed to happen at this point in the year, forfeits play hell with RPI calcs and beyond that it's really not fair to the other teams' players. Had they pulled the plug on the team last year when they couldn't complete their schedule, it would have allowed teams and opportunity to try to re-schedule someone in replacement.

Less than 2 weeks until games officially kickoff. What’s something you’re looking for or wanting to see this upcoming season?

Less than 2 weeks until games officially kickoff. What’s something you’re looking for or wanting to see this upcoming season?
Honestly, I'd love to see some losses. I'd love to see parity indicating losses, so nobody goes into the playoffs undefeated, maybe a one loss team and some 2 or 3 loss teams, all trying to match up, a bunch of teams convinced they can be "the one" each playoff night.

This cannot be allowed to happen at this point in the year, forfeits play hell with RPI calcs and beyond that it's really not fair to the other teams' players. Had they pulled the plug on the team last year when they couldn't complete their schedule, it would have allowed teams and opportunity to try to re-schedule someone in replacement.
Yep especially two years in a row for some of their opponents causing some to lose home games. It would be senior night for us this year. I’ve only heard rumors, nothing beyond that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT