ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Playoffs

Gamefly

Freshman
Oct 11, 2014
As we all know every team will be in the post season/playoffs this year.

At which point is it acceptable to say the season has been successful for the teams that are usually in the playoffs anyway? Also, anyone know if every team will be getting a playoff banner this year? When will team trophies appear?

I am hopeful the first few rounds will be officially considered "sub-state" with "state" starting with the final 32 or 16. At this point teams get banners and trophies start being awarded.

I also wondered this. Is every school going to make 2020 Iowa HS Football Playoffs shirts?!?
I would think that you'd have to make the final 16 (win 2 games) to be considered a true "playoff" caliber team,but not sure there is any set standard. You know there's going to be schools making "playoff" shirts with a 1-6 record.

Also, is the state going to make (four) 16 team brackets and seed the playoffs? I would assume so but I've seen the state do stranger things. What 0-7 team is going to want to travel to Grundy or Regina to get beat 60-0? Will these teams just forfeit or say they've had kids exposed to a covid to avoid the butt kicking?

Last edited:
Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I also wondered this. Is every school going to make 2020 Iowa HS Football Playoffs shirts?!?
I would think that you'd have to make the final 16 (win 2 games) to be considered a true "playoff" caliber team,but not sure there is any set standard. You know there's going to be schools making "playoff" shirts with a 1-6 record.

Also, is the state going to make (four) 16 team brackets and seed the playoffs? I would assume so but I've seen the state do stranger things. What 0-7 team is going to want to travel to Grundy or Regina to get beat 60-0? Will these teams just forfeit or say they've had kids exposed to a covid to avoid the butt kicking?

Soccer has had this for years, everyone who wants to enters the state tournament at Substate - then the final 8 go to Des Moines and that's considered "State." I think the substate finalist is maybe the only one who gets a banner before that. And yes, there are some very lop-sided scores that first round. I guess teams do it to get the kids one more game, to take a shot, and maybe have exposure to something they may not have seen in their regular season. So, personally, I'd like to see it split into a "Substate" and "state" with a re-seed at the state bracket.
There's too much geography to consider for those lower round games to make brackets that give the appropriate consideration to the higher seeded teams. (i.e. don't set up a 1v 2 or 2v3 state ranked team in a quarterfinal when that matchup should really appear at the Dome.)

The iahsaa site says geography will play a part when scheduling the games. With seeding also playing a part but with every school participating. I can't imagine anyone will be traveling much more than an hour for the first round.

Direct from iahsaa website... All teams in all classes will qualify for the postseason. Brackets will consist of six rounds for each classification. The IHSAA will determine postseason pairings with geography, quality, and team availability as primary considerations. This is intended to be a one-time measure for postseason formatting.

This bolded part reads like they aren't making a bracket to run off but as much as pairing teams each week. Maybe there is a 4 pools of 16 teams to choose from before the semi finals but not a set in stone bracket. Also, it sounds like they are going to limit travel as much as they can while avoiding pairing high ranked teams early on. Maybe they will build a bracket once only 16 teams are left. Wonder if the boys in Boone even know 100% what will happen.

Last edited:
Wonder if the boys in Boone even know 100% what will happen.
The Boone People probably can't know. There are teams (won't name names) that seem to cancel games for Plague-related reasons at the drop of a hat ("one player was exposed to the Plague"). There are others that will do the right thing and simply hold out their Plague-infested players and play on. Some of the Plague-related cancellations (admittedly from the outside looking in) look like MAJOR overreactions.

Reactions: Pinehawk

I can’t see any team no matter how bad they are, taking away any form of competition from their kids. Who knows about winter sports at this point. Give them and let them enjoy every little bit no matter who you have to play

Once it’s down to 16 teams that’s who should get playoff appearances. Just like it’s been for years n years. But we all know how big of a mess this will be with the boys in Boone running the show.

I can’t see any team no matter how bad they are, taking away any form of competition from their kids. Who knows about winter sports at this point. Give them and let them enjoy every little bit no matter who you have to play
I'll agree to disagree. If a team is 0-7 and scheduled to play a 7-0 in the 1st round of the playoffs, I'm not sure there is much enjoyment in that. I'm for the old system; either 16 or 32 make the playoffs, not everyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's mine.

The new format will have byes at some point. There are not 64 teams in Class A this year. What is the difference if an 0-7 team plays a 7-0 team as opposed to them playing in the regular season? If everyone played 9 games the chances that occurs is likely. Kids want to play, it's why they went out. If they were only concerned about the score, they wouldn't go out knowing their team is not that good.

Football has always been the only sport that awards trophies and banners for everyone that makes the "playoffs", whether that was 8, 16 or 32. I doubt the Union will award a banner to everyone for playoffs considering that will take money and they'd rather make it than spend it, other than salaries maybe. I like this new format. Everyone makes the "postseason" just like the other sports. Everyone gets minimum 8 games and you award the banners and trophies to those that make the final 8, just like in basketball, baseball and wrestling(team duals).

And if you want the old system then eliminate the playoffs completely considering there were none until 1972.

The new format will have byes at some point. There are not 64 teams in Class A this year. What is the difference if an 0-7 team plays a 7-0 team as opposed to them playing in the regular season? If everyone played 9 games the chances that occurs is likely. Kids want to play, it's why they went out. If they were only concerned about the score, they wouldn't go out knowing their team is not that good.

Football has always been the only sport that awards trophies and banners for everyone that makes the "playoffs", whether that was 8, 16 or 32. I doubt the Union will award a banner to everyone for playoffs considering that will take money and they'd rather make it than spend it, other than salaries maybe. I like this new format. Everyone makes the "postseason" just like the other sports. Everyone gets minimum 8 games and you award the banners and trophies to those that make the final 8, just like in basketball, baseball and wrestling(team duals).

And if you want the old system then eliminate the playoffs completely considering there were none until 1972.
Fair points, Sir. I still disagree that all teams should make postseason; maybe it's just because I'm oldish and prefered 9 regular season and 16 in the playoffs. We can disagree and still respect each other.

I think it would be better to have an 8 week regular season, 32 make the playoffs, and the teams that don't make the playoffs could schedule a game against another non-playoff school so they actually had a chance to win and end their season on a positive note, not a 60-0 blowout. I'm not sure that the top seeds would want a week off before they start the post-season; I would want to keep the same routine and not have a week off.

Last edited:
I know this probably will be met with mixed feelings but if I had a team that was 1-8 and facing a team that was 8-1 with a legit shot at a title, and there was a "chance" that one of my kids had Covid, I might say that we had to quarantine. There is no sense of risking the health of the other team, in my opinion.

I generally don't like the idea of everyone making the playoffs. Especially in football with it being such a physical sport and mismatches being potentially more dangerous.
BUT, in this case, this year...I think it was the right thing to do. Too much uncertainty going into the season. Giving everyone a playoff game helps to potentially mitigate any Covid complications with trying to seed teams that may have missed games.

This reads like they aren't making a bracket to run off but as much as pairing teams each week.

That would be consistent with how 2014 and 2015 were run.

It's possible to divide Class A into four geographic groups -- three with 15 and one with 14 -- without straying too far from the map. Could serve as a decent starting point for the first two rounds.

BUT, in this case, this year...I think it was the right thing to do. Too much uncertainty going into the season. Giving everyone a playoff game helps to potentially mitigate any Covid complications with trying to seed teams that may have missed games.

Class A has been lucky so far. As of today, only one team won't get to 6 games. But we'll see what happens in the back half of the regular season.

Reactions: Pinehawk
The Boone People probably can't know. There are teams (won't name names) that seem to cancel games for Plague-related reasons at the drop of a hat ("one player was exposed to the Plague"). There are others that will do the right thing and simply hold out their Plague-infested players and play on. Some of the Plague-related cancellations (admittedly from the outside looking in) look like MAJOR overreactions.
The problem for players missing games isnt Positive Covid cases, it is the stupid contact tracing and mandatory 14 day quarantine! in many cases the positive person is back before the contacts. In our area we have lost 20 players or more due to contact tracing and very few if any have developed symptoms. the system has to change , send sick kids home and continue with others. we lost one varsity football game due to this already and our vball lost 5 varsity starters for week and half

The problem for players missing games isnt Positive Covid cases, it is the stupid contact tracing and mandatory 14 day quarantine! in many cases the positive person is back before the contacts. In our area we have lost 20 players or more due to contact tracing and very few if any have developed symptoms. the system has to change , send sick kids home and continue with others. we lost one varsity football game due to this already and our vball lost 5 varsity starters for week and half
Completely Agree!!
Not sure why we are so damn concerned about potential spread, for this age group, because they are over it in a few days, but the impact to school and the athletic programs is enormous - again due to precautionary measures , not Real risk. Completely over the top!!

Bigger problem is sitting next to someone in class who tests positive then the football players are out 2 weeks because of close contact!

Reactions: IGo42
I just heard that Regina lost their TE #38 Wagner for the year due to a torn ACL. Not sure when it happened, but that's a big loss for them. He was a big boy out wide who was a matchup nightmare! I think that's the 2nd starter from week one that they have lost. If I heard correctly, one of their offensive tackles isn't playing anymore either, but I don't know the reason. Not sure if it matters in their district, but Wapello and Lisbon both have some big boys on the line. Next 2 weeks should decide that district.

How are they determining where these games will be played? Will the higher seeded team be the host each week? If so we will likely have a few schools hosting 4 "playoff" games this year. Will games be played at neutral sites? Anyone have any insight?

How are they determining where these games will be played? Will the higher seeded team be the host each week? If so we will likely have a few schools hosting 4 "playoff" games this year. Will games be played at neutral sites? Anyone have any insight?

There might be a straggler neutral-site game if the geography gets stretched too far, but games will be played "on campus" until the semifinals. Same as other years, just more rounds.

Someone shared some articles with good information to the post season format in the 1A thread.

I will put them here as well.

The articles answered the questions I had.

Games will be played at the team that performed better during the regular season. This means some schools will be hosting 4 games. The tournament will be 3 rounds of 2 games, restructuring after each round.

I would assume neutral sites will work the same as they have in years past.

They will try and avoid pairing teams from the same district in the first two rounds but this likely won't be possible for every team.

Last edited:
any idea if IAHSAA will actually have correct records once the playoffs start? Or will they use the incorrect scores they post on their own website?

Ok, most of that was in jest, but seriously nothing would surprise me with the Boys. I can see them releasing schedule after the last week of games and then having to re-do schedules after they realize they have wrong records for a number of teams....

Schools need to stop screwing up when they submit their scores. It's not rocket science.
It's not the school's fault. The IAHSAA has said that they have a bug in the system that keeps flipping scores. It's an issue on their end. They do know about it, so I'm guessing they will fix it or at least use correct records for playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT