ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21

Football211

Freshman
Feb 27, 2016
Well, it’s getting near that time again. Football season will be by us before we know it and right into the swing of things, hoping things begin to somewhat straighten themselves out (probably not) enough for a somewhat normal season. I’m just gonna make some champ predictions and see if any pan out and let me know if anybody thinks I’m in the right realm or totally wrong.

4A- Waukee, cmon 4 power 5 guys on one team almost should be illegal. Should walk through 4A but you never know.
3A- Not going to lie my 3A knowledge is fairly shallow, but I know Ballard returns their big men, Pella brings back some talent and SBL is always good.
2A- Boyden-Hull would have to be a favorite to repeat with Te Slaa, Van Meter always reloads and will surely be up there
1A- Kind of a large group here, but I would lean towards Wapsie with a repeat. Garrigan, Montezuma and Springville also bring back some really good squads.

Rough overview there and just tried to go off background knowledge without looking up anything for stats. Tell me who I missed, probably a couple upcoming state champs lol

4A - My pick would be Cedar Falls. Talent wise not much different than Waukee in my opinion. Also they have won 2 out of the last 3.
1A - I think North Linn moves back down, so you have to throw them into the mix.

Monticello moves up to 3A and returns everyone from a 2A state tournament team.

Camanche, Regina, and West Branch will be the best 2A teams in the River Valley Conference and hopefully will be split up in the tournament.

That's a tough break for Monticello, they'll have a good season, but I don't see them making it to state in 3A.

Wapsie lost their big man so i don't really see them making it back. I think last year was a season of destiny for them but don't think they can sustain that.

How will this season go with games canceled when some schools are all on-line? Football is seeing the impact now. Scheduling will be a night mare. Is volleyball having impacts?

Eh, we’re playing football, no reason to not play basketball. I think it’ll happen but at most schools there will be restrictions on fans
I think the more apropos comparison would be volleyball. I haven't heard of any disruptions with volleyball so far, but there is also the fear of the colder weather bringing more illnesses that could be misinterpreted as possible covid cases and thus causing over-precautionary quarantines, postponements and cancelations......

There should be no misinterpretation. Without a positive Covid test result, you don’t need to quarantine or cancel anything.
And, hopefully we get beyond quarantining well people before too much longer anyway.

There should be no misinterpretation. Without a positive Covid test result, you don’t need to quarantine or cancel anything.
And, hopefully we get beyond quarantining well people before too much longer anyway.
I’m with you 100%, what is quarantine doing at this point. You send a kid home for two weeks, but at least in the case of my hometown, the siblings still continue school. The parents can’t stop working. It defeats the purpose of a quarantine. Kids are going to better off not tasting public school lunches anyways...

Well, it’s getting near that time again. Football season will be by us before we know it and right into the swing of things, hoping things begin to somewhat straighten themselves out (probably not) enough for a somewhat normal season. I’m just gonna make some champ predictions and see if any pan out and let me know if anybody thinks I’m in the right realm or totally wrong.

4A- Waukee, cmon 4 power 5 guys on one team almost should be illegal. Should walk through 4A but you never know.
3A- Not going to lie my 3A knowledge is fairly shallow, but I know Ballard returns their big men, Pella brings back some talent and SBL is always good.
2A- Boyden-Hull would have to be a favorite to repeat with Te Slaa, Van Meter always reloads and will surely be up there
1A- Kind of a large group here, but I would lean towards Wapsie with a repeat. Garrigan, Montezuma and Springville also bring back some really good squads.

Rough overview there and just tried to go off background knowledge without looking up anything for stats. Tell me who I missed, probably a couple upcoming state champs lol
The season is right around the corner! Don't really follow 2A and 1A so I will not comment on those two levels. In 4A...Waukee should roll I agree, if they don't win it all then it will have been a major choke job. DeVries, both Sandforts, and Billew plus other solid HS players and great coaching...no one else should be even close. Cedar Falls has talent...but not high major D1 talent like Waukee possesses. In 3A, curious to see what Assumption will do with a solid cast of returnees and Texas commit Emarion Ellis...is this the year they finally get back to state and make a run. Xavier should be solid on the east side and look out for Waverly Shell Rock to return to Top 10 status. Pella, SBL, and DCG should be really strong on the Western side of the state. What do other people think about 4A and 3A hoops this year?

In some news for 1A, a sophomore named mason harter has moved to Wapsie from Sigourney. 6’6 and averaged a double double as a freshman, should be a huge addition for them and their back to back aspirations

I’m not saying state champs, but Tri-Center will be a team to watch from the west In 1A. We drop from a long stint in 2A and find ourselves in 1A. TC will likely start 5 seniors, unless 6’4” Sophomore Kent Elliott earns a starting nod. If that happens, TC will start 4 players at 6’4” and Kent would be the only forward out of that group. Only our Sr PG will be under 6 foot. In addition, the next two off the bench are 6’2” and 6’3” seniors. In other words, this team is deep. A couple juniors and another sophomore should round us out to 8-10 deep.

6’4” Senior Leyton Nelson will lead the team again this season. As a Jr, he averaged 18 ppg.

Our nemesis in our Conference has always been Treynor. They stay in 2A this year.

The season is right around the corner! Don't really follow 2A and 1A so I will not comment on those two levels. In 4A...Waukee should roll I agree, if they don't win it all then it will have been a major choke job. DeVries, both Sandforts, and Billew plus other solid HS players and great coaching...no one else should be even close. Cedar Falls has talent...but not high major D1 talent like Waukee possesses. In 3A, curious to see what Assumption will do with a solid cast of returnees and Texas commit Emarion Ellis...is this the year they finally get back to state and make a run. Xavier should be solid on the east side and look out for Waverly Shell Rock to return to Top 10 status. Pella, SBL, and DCG should be really strong on the Western side of the state. What do other people think about 4A and 3A hoops this year?
Assumption will run the east side of the state with Waverly not too far behind, they were young last year. Xavier will be lucky to win 5-7 games

Assumption will run the east side of the state with Waverly not too far behind, they were young last year. Xavier will be lucky to win 5-7 games
I heard that Assumption has more transfers than just Ellis...a guy tried to tell me that their top 6 will all be kids that didn't come up through the school system. Book it now, they will win the 3A title this year!

Why are you always so down on Xavier? They have a very solid program.

Why are you always so down on Xavier? They have a very solid program.
They are always arrogant. They had a great program for about 5 years when Luehrsman(might have misspelled his name) was coaching. Before him, they were average at best but still arrogant. Plus, I know some info about how the new coach was hired that I thought was shady. Never really been a fan, and when I heard about the shady deals I became less of a fan. I am not going to get into it on a public message board, but I would think for a school that thinks so highly of itself, they would do things the appropriate way.

4A - Waukee has to win it this year or they never will.
3A - Ballard returns a lot, Assumption will be tough this year as well.

Also, as far as Xavier’s hiring process being “shady”, I don’t know what is shady about having 20-30 applicants, narrowing the field down to 5 qualified candidates, all with prior head coaching or division 1 coaching experience, and hiring someone who is a part of and has family going through the school system...and just happened to have prior division 1
Coaching experience. Seems pretty legit to me.

They are always arrogant. They had a great program for about 5 years when Luehrsman(might have misspelled his name) was coaching. Before him, they were average at best but still arrogant. Plus, I know some info about how the new coach was hired that I thought was shady. Never really been a fan, and when I heard about the shady deals I became less of a fan. I am not going to get into it on a public message board, but I would think for a school that thinks so highly of itself, they would do things the appropriate way.
So basically you are butthurt that they have more than you. Gotcha. Cool stories....

4A - Waukee has to win it this year or they never will.
3A - Ballard returns a lot, Assumption will be tough this year as well.

Also, as far as Xavier’s hiring process being “shady”, I don’t know what is shady about having 20-30 applicants, narrowing the field down to 5 qualified candidates, all with prior head coaching or division 1 coaching experience, and hiring someone who is a part of and has family going through the school system...and just happened to have prior division 1
Coaching experience. Seems pretty legit to me.
Eh, I heard differently, but no worries. I was answering a question from Cheese2. I have nothing invested in Xavier.

So then you have no proof to back up your absurd claim. Let's put that on the record.
I do have proof, but I am not going to bad mouth people on a high school message board. You must have deep Xavier ties to be jumping to their defense. People inside Xavier called it shady, their words, not mine. I answered a question. You took offense to my answer. Maybe the issue is not with me, but with the people you are defending, however I know there are good people at Xaiver. Cheese2 asked me why I am not a fan, I told him and you got butthurt by it. We can move on or continue to give each other grief on here. I am good either way.

I do have proof, but I am not going to bad mouth people on a high school message board. You must have deep Xavier ties to be jumping to their defense. People inside Xavier called it shady, their words, not mine. I answered a question. You took offense to my answer. Maybe the issue is not with me, but with the people you are defending, however I know there are good people at Xaiver. Cheese2 asked me why I am not a fan, I told him and you got butthurt by it. We can move on or continue to give each other grief on here. I am good either way.
Cool... so still butthurt and no proof. Cool story bro. I'm sorry your team sucks. You already are denigrating the school worse

Cool... so still butthurt and no proof. Cool story bro. I'm sorry your team sucks. You already are denigrating the school worse
Wow. Let's recall that you jumped in because you disliked my answer to a question. If you are this butthurt because of an answer on a message board perhaps it is best if you stay in your bubble and keep believing that Xavier is perfect. We wouldn't want you to melt snowflake. No school is perfect, but ignoring the flaws won't solve anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT