ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Season Contenders

Jun 7, 2015
With basketball over, baseball is right around the corner. Who does everyone see as contenders in each class?

4A- Johnston, CR Prairie, Dowling, Urbandale, Waukee, Indianola, IC West and SEP will all be strong. I think Johnston and CR Prairie are the strongest but the others aren’t too far behind.

4A- Johnston, CR Prairie, Dowling, Urbandale, Waukee, Indianola, IC West and SEP will all be strong. I think Johnston and CR Prairie are the strongest but the others aren’t too far behind.
Western Dubuque, PV and CR Jefferson will be pretty good as well.

Last edited:
For Class 3A in Central Iowa, I have to think North Polk will be right there in contention. Their top 3 pitching staff is tough. It will really depend on how well they hit.

2A to no surprise starts with Beckman, they do lose a couple key pieces but they also return a lot. Including Seamus O'Connor, if that isn't an Irish Catholic name I don't know what is.

CR Prairie is the team to beat in 4A, in my opinion, with Johnston right there with them.

CR Jeff will be very solid. IC West will still be good but down a bit from the last couple of years. The Mississippi side of MVC will be much stronger than the Valley.

In the CIML, Waukee will also be strong, and Valley & SE Polk will be not far behind. I know Dowling has gotten some run (I think Feddersen has them ranked #1), but I don't think they will end up in that position. I could certainly be wrong though. Western Dubuque will be good too, but I'm not sure they have the hitting to compete with the big dogs. The same goes for Indianola.

In 3A, Davenport Assumption will likely come out on top, but Carlisle might be my early favorite. Harlan and Solon will be there in the end as well. I'm not as familiar with the 3A schools on the eastern side of the state. Osky will still be good, but they have to replace a pretty strong graduating class from a batting perspective anyway.

In 2A, Beckman will be the favorite, but Wilton, Cascade, Treynor, & IC Regina will be good and could contend.

1A will be interesting as well, though you could probably flip a coin between North Linn & Newman. There is lots of depth there, though, with CB St. Albert, Lisbon, Remsen, & Don Bosco all having strong teams. Beyond that, the quality drops off a bit, in my opinion.

harlan returns many from last years team, that was staffed by a lot of underclassmen. davenport assumption, thank goodness looses there top 2 pitchers i believe, which should make them more human this year

So far, most of the anticipated suspects are looking solid. The biggest surprise to me has been Beckman, who currently sits at 4-5. Not sure what's going on there, but they'll likely get it figured out and be there in the end.

I would agree with you HawkPT on all of the expected teams looking good. Aside from Beckman..

However, I've always felt that by the end of the 2nd or 3rd week in June is when we will know who the real contending teams are vs those who aren't.

Fun to see how teams are doing during weekend tournaments this time of the season!

CR Prairie is the team to beat in 4A, in my opinion, with Johnston right there with them.

CR Jeff will be very solid. IC West will still be good but down a bit from the last couple of years. The Mississippi side of MVC will be much stronger than the Valley.

In the CIML, Waukee will also be strong, and Valley & SE Polk will be not far behind. I know Dowling has gotten some run (I think Feddersen has them ranked #1), but I don't think they will end up in that position. I could certainly be wrong though. Western Dubuque will be good too, but I'm not sure they have the hitting to compete with the big dogs. The same goes for Indianola.

In 3A, Davenport Assumption will likely come out on top, but Carlisle might be my early favorite. Harlan and Solon will be there in the end as well. I'm not as familiar with the 3A schools on the eastern side of the state. Osky will still be good, but they have to replace a pretty strong graduating class from a batting perspective anyway.

In 2A, Beckman will be the favorite, but Wilton, Cascade, Treynor, & IC Regina will be good and could contend.

1A will be interesting as well, though you could probably flip a coin between North Linn & Newman. There is lots of depth there, though, with CB St. Albert, Lisbon, Remsen, & Don Bosco all having strong teams. Beyond that, the quality drops off a bit, in my opinion.
Well... a few surprises this year. Prairie couldn't quite finish the deal, but props to WD for earning the trip to state. SE Polk stumbled late in the season, and Jeff's chances took a hit when Van Scoyoc signed the professional contract.

The Raccoon River conference got three teams into state at the 3A level. A bit of a surprise, but good for them!

Beckman remained a bit of a mystery throughout the year, so it wasn't surprising to me when Wilton emerged at the end of the year. Cascade had a great year, but they found out the truth that anything can happen in tournament play.

1A is the usual and expected suspects.

I'm looking forward to a competitive and interesting state tournament at all four levels. It will be a fun week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT