Anita CAM
Audubon
Boyer Valley
Coon Rapids-Bayard
Exira-EHK
Glidden-Ralston
West Harrison
Woodbine

It will be interesting to see how GR does in 8 man, they've had a hell of a run in 11 man in recent years.

District Champions: Remsen St. Mary's, Don Bosco, Midland, New London, Gladbrook-Reinbeck, Moravia, Fremont-Mills, & Audubon.

D4 might be the most interesting, 3 first year down teams. 5 teams in the running. HLV, IV, Lone Tree, Monte & New London. Hopefully the state gives them good games for the 1 ND game and get 2 Wild Cards and good luck finding somebody to schedule you week 0.

Might change my mind on Moravia, Southeast Warren might be the team to beat in D6. First year down, return QB & RB, not a lot of juniors but 27 returning players is a bunch.

Last edited:
Just looking at GR roster, about 15 seniors, SO & JR combined is about the same. But stats seem pretty heavily SR dominated. Still think that District is pretty weak and they win it.

I heard the main reason that G-R didn't stay 11 man is because of the two classes that will be Seniors and Juniors this year, low in numbers, low in talent, they really struggled in JV the last couple of years.

Maybe D5 is a little more wide open than I thought, Baxter is going to be down from this year, 9 of 19 were SRs. I watched 4 of the other teams play this year and 3 are ok but we easily handled by the top team in the district. Maybe it will AGWSR w/ Colo-Nesco in 2nd.

Maybe D5 is a little more wide open than I thought, Baxter is going to be down from this year, 9 of 19 were SRs. I watched 4 of the other teams play this year and 3 are ok but we easily handled by the top team in the district. Maybe it will AGWSR w/ Colo-Nesco in 2nd.

Yeah, Baxter will be down for a year or two. They have a younger QB and WR that should be pretty good, but I'm not sure they'll have other skill positions to go with them. I'd still think they can finish above .500, but not more than maybe 5-4/6-3. If they can find a second WR and/or RB, that might go a bit higher.

I'm honestly more worried about their defense than offense.

New London will be very good in D4 with a great class of Juniors. Transfer of excellent athlete from Danville to give them 6 strong skill players. A lot of speed and quick scoring ability. Could be a handful for most teams in the District.

Reactions: roosterk
District Champions: Remsen St. Mary's, Don Bosco, Midland, New London, Gladbrook-Reinbeck, Moravia, Fremont-Mills, & Audubon.

D4 might be the most interesting, 3 first year down teams. 5 teams in the running. HLV, IV, Lone Tree, Monte & New London. Hopefully the state gives them good games for the 1 ND game and get 2 Wild Cards and good luck finding somebody to schedule you week 0.

Might change my mind on Moravia, Southeast Warren might be the team to beat in D6. First year down, return QB & RB, not a lot of juniors but 27 returning players is a bunch.
District 1 will be wide open this year. All the contenders from last year were senior heavy. As for the RSM pick, they lose a dozen seniors and will be inexperienced at all skill positions. Now I think they will surprise some this year but would be shocked if they won the district. I think HLP will be the favorite and newcomer to Dist 1 ArWeVa has Schurke back and will be tough.

Reactions: roosterk
New London will be very good in D4 with a great class of Juniors. Transfer of excellent athlete from Danville to give them 6 strong skill players. A lot of speed and quick scoring ability. Could be a handful for most teams in the District.

This district will be interesting. Not only because of a proven mix of contenders like HLV, Iowa Valley, Lone Tree & WACO, plus strong 8-man newbies like Montezuma & New London. But with the nine team field, Week #0 games and bye weeks will factor in as well. Surrounding districts may need to play a non-district game outside of Weeks #1-2 against them to make this work.

Big question is with the RPI system who's going to be willing to take on a tough ND 10th game. Of those top 5-6 D4 teams one is going to be 4-5 unless some multiple place ties.

Maybe one game won't pull your RPI down that much, but it will come down to a small number between the last teams to get a WC and not. 8-1(88%, 33 towards RPI) vs 8-2(80%, 30 RPI), 7-1 is 32.8 pts. so, all team with 8 games will be at an disadvantage (slight) over team with a 9, and even more so vs a team that get 10 and wins all ND games, but don't win their district. 9-1 beats 8-1 and 7-1 at least in the WP part of the RPI.

I think the lower teams will find week 0 games easily against a similar teams. Not sure it will be as easy for the others.

district 7 returns 2 district champions from last year, Sidney and Stanton, a team that beat them both to get to the dome, Fremont Mills, an 11 man team moving down, Griswold, and a couple perennial powers not losing much, Bedford and East Mills. Lots of returning all district and all state players here.

If D6 loses a team, should you take Melcher-Dallas and move them down, then take the farthest west team in D4 (Montezuma) and move them into west into D5.

IMO 10 districts would have been so much better. Still not to late to change.

I agree roosterk!! I heard that is why they moved back the schedule release date. They were thinking of redistricting because a team wasn't going to be able to field a team.

I wouldn' be surprised I'd Midland calls up any team from either of the neighboring districts even after the last 2 years against bosco at the dome. They have proved they aren't afraid to schedule tougher nondistrict games

Only 4 Week 0 games. D4 has 4 teams in those 4 games, those are the only ND games in D4 for the season. Wonder how that will affect the RPI. Without those all the D4 teams would have the exact same OWP and OOWP (50%), those 4 opponents could have a big swing for the district having a chance to get 2 or 3 teams in. Those 4 opponents were a combined 19-19 last year. If the same happens & D4 splits the ND games, OWP & OOWP, would be 50%. I'm not sure a 7-1 & 50% will get a Wild Card.

If D4 gets wins all of those it would be a big boost, and the opponents have a winning season, D4 OWP & OOWP could get a big boost.

Some big games W1 DB vs GR & St. Mary's Remsen vs Audubon.

Last edited:
Week 2 New London plays at Moravia so they have at least one other out of district game so they can't be .500

Four teams in D4 (Iowa Valley, Lone Tree, Montezuma & Tri-County) only have 8-game schedules. All have Week 0 open. Hopefully the state can strong-arm four teams into picking up a tenth game so that they will have full schedules. Ironic that a few of those schools added a tenth game last year so that Baxter could have a schedule.

Edit: On further review, it was just Lone Tree that played a tenth game to give Baxter an opponent last year. Return the favor, perhaps?

Second consecutive cycle that Lone Tree has had to call around and beg a ninth game opponent, but the state says they must be fair to everyone. Baxter & Collins-Maxwell couldn't wait for the regular two-year cycle to divide into two 8-man teams last season, so teams all over the state added games so they could play a season. This year, they're 'not interested' in playing a tenth game to help out any of the schools with an eight game schedule.

Baxter won't play Lone Tree? They lose all of those seniors and don't want to lose to Lone Tree?

Who did Lone Tree pick up the last two years for their ninth game?

Last edited:
Baxter won't play Lone Tree? They lose all of those seniors and don't want to lose to Lone Tree?

Who did Lone Tree pick up the last two years for their ninth game?

Central City played us in Week Zero the last two years because Cedar Valley Christian dropped football after the 2016-17 districts were announced.

I can understand you thinking Baxter owes you something, but they won't help you get better. They are kind of struggling it won't help them get more kids out getting stomped by 50. Go for Regina instead for a another fun game.

I can understand you thinking Baxter owes you something, but they won't help you get better. They are kind of struggling it won't help them get more kids out getting stomped by 50. Go for Regina instead for a another fun game.

Funny you should mention that. Our JV did play an 8-man game against the Regina Freshman team last season. Also, I wouldn't worry too much for poor, struggling, Baxter. They didn't share those concerns in their just completed 8-1 campaign, including a season finale when they threw for 12 touchdowns (11 to one player) in their 65-point win over Easton Valley.

At this point I don't think there is much concern over a potential opponents strength, it's more a matter of finding a ninth game. I know that several schools have been contacted and are considering the match-up, I suspect someone will agree to play.

I think week 0 games counting toward the RPI had a lot of schools hesitating to commit to a game. I also think there is a big difference between a school agreeing to play mid season on a bye week and a school agreeing to week 0. Shortens summer break. Makes the first day of practice a week sooner. When non-district games did not matter towards post-season that changed how coaches treated those. When all games count...completely different plan of attack.

Reactions: your_master5
Sounds like it's official. Lone Tree will travel to Midland for a Week Zero contest. Can't accuse either team of scheduling a patsy. Midland is a two-time defending state semi-finalist, while Lone Tree is a combined 16-4 over the past two seasons.

After being 1-1 against you guys for the last 2 years we need a rubber match! haha glad to see the 2 schools working it out to play more football!

Montezuma picked up a week 0 game vs. Southeast Warren according to the IHSAA schedules. Will be both teams first ever 8 man games.

Is Tri-County the only team with 8 games currently?

Yes.

Four of the teams they played last year (but not on the 2018 schedule) have Week 0 open:
Meskwaki (54 miles) - played at TC in 2017; has 5 H/4 A for 2018
Moravia (60 miles) - played TC at home in 2017; has 4 H/5 A for 2018
Melcher-Dallas (64 miles) - played TC at home in 2017; has 5 H/4 A for 2018
Seymour (89 miles) - played TC at home in 2017; has 4 H/5 A for 2018

Based on the above, Melcher-Dallas at Tri-County would make the most sense as a Week 0 game. But I assume M-D wouldn't want to start the season with 2 road games.

hi lonetreehawk who wins the game against Lone tree vs midland on Friday night. and why.

Nice try, but there are too many unknowns to make a confident pick here. Midland has a huge void to fill with the graduation of Austin Smith and the departure of Coach Hack, but LT took some big hits at LB & OL via graduation as well. The Lions return most of their total yardage and scoring from 2017, but it won't make much difference if the Eagles are able to chew up turf like they did in Week #9 last season. No doubt each team will be counting on some lightly tested guys to step into bigger and more vital roles. Midlands track record for 'Next Man In' speaks for itself. LT had a young nucleus step up last fall to replace a large and talented 2017 class, and qualified for the post-season with a 1st year Head Coach themselves. Week #0 is the real wildcard here. Whichever squad comes out firing on more cylinders and is better able to overcome mistakes that are sure to crop up. They're likely to be the victor.

Obviously, loyalty and blood compel me to pick my Lions on a quest for revenge this Friday. Common sense however, precludes me from picking a score. I'd like to think that we were a closer match than last years 32 point margin, but momentum can be a steam roller in 8-man football. Especially in Week #0.

Best of luck and good health to both teams.

hey again lonetreehawk I see where midland has 35 players on it's roster is that trune or false. also where did midland head coach go to.

hey again lonetreehawk I see where midland has 35 players on it's roster is that trune or false. also where did midland head coach go to.

Wouldn't be too surprised if that count is accurate. LT has about 30 out this year. I heard that Coach Hack took the Activities Director job at Solon, but am not certain on that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT