ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Defensive Team 4A ( Central Iowa & West)

Sep 24, 2016
Last year when I put my All State Team out I said I would try to do the entire state next year, unfortunately I had some illness that prohibited traveling (shingles). Luckily I was able to see some live games in the second half of the season however they were all in the D.M. Metro area. Because of that once again this years team will be limited to Central Iowa and those teams traveling to D.M. that I had the opportunity to watch live. I would love someone to create a similiar list of eastern Iowa.

I am relying on Quik Stats but not as heavily weighted as last year (I listening to some of your valid complaints about weighing stats to heavily). With that said, I received some input from area coaches however it was somewhat limited but still useful. I also viewed and considered a ranking system published on twitter that applies a point system to numerous categories and then proceeds to rank 4A players within there primary positions (I like it as yet another means to look at players). In addition I was able to watch many of the players that made the list and in some cases more then once. I also consider the teams success, IMO if your team was good/great you obviously have some guys that can play the game at a very high level and that needs to be considered.

Enjoy the list and please DO NOT call out any of these young men listed below, this is strictly my opinion. You can certainly throw out additional names that you feel worthy.

I apologize in advance for all the grammar errors, my worst subject in school.

All State Defense (Central & West)

Colby Baugher (Ankeny)
I said this last year and it rings true again this season, Baugher is a "tackling machine" who ended this year top #5 Solo Tackles & Total Tackles and contributed 13.3 (TFL & Assisted TFL. The thing I remember about Baugher is how hard he pursues the ball. Baugher is tough nosed and plays bigger then his size, this kid will mix it up and never seems to take a play off. Baugher ended the regular season ranked #1 by the twitter "Power Ranking Site" at Inside Line Backer. Unfortunately Ankeny did not make the post season this year but it's not due to Baugher, the kid played his butt off and has earned a spot for the second year on my team.

Mitchell Riggs (Dowling) To me Riggs is the leader of the Dowling Defense. Like Baugher, he is another player that is all over the field. Riggs contributed with over 96 total tackles on the season. Once the play ends you can bet that Riggs will be in on the tackle. He was able to penetrate the backfield a lot from his LB position and ended the regular season with 10.5 (TFL & Assisted TFL) which is excellent considering limited playing time in the 2nd half of many games. The anchor of an outstanding defense that will challenge for another State Title. If he so desires he will play at the next level.

Jack Keough Dowling I'm sure I am going to get accused of loving Dowling, that's ok I'm a big boy and can handle it. Speaking of big tough guys what about Keough of Dowling, he has the size and speed and along with Riggs these 2 guys make it touch sledding up the middle. This junior contributed 66 total tackles and proved to be another guy that can penetrate the backfield, he ended up with an impressive 10(+) TFL & Assisted TFL. Not a lot of juniors make my list so congratulations Jack Keough on a superb junior year.

Nathan Newcomb (Johnston) Newcomb had an outstanding year on an excellent team. Check this out, the kid was Top 5 in the state ( TFL& Assisted TFL) and Ranked as the top Outside Linebacker in Iowa by "Power Ranking". I watched this young man play and was impressed with his closing speed and ball hawking skills. With another year to work on his frame and add some weight and muscle he will really be a force for Johnston next season. Also worth noting, Newcomb led a very good Johnston defense in tackles, not afraid to stick his nose into the line of fire. I look forward to watching your progress next season.

Luke Board (Southeast Polk) Another new comer to my team, Southeast Polk with the season they had is worthy of having representation on the defensive team. Board lead a very good defense with over 60 total tackles for the year and recorded 15 (+) TFL & Assisted TFL and with his spare time recorded a pick. I along with many will remember the battle between SEP & Valley, those who attended will tell you it was one of the most exciting games in the past 10 years. Board greatly contributed to SEP having a nice year and becoming a team with a stingy defense that no one wanted to face come playoff time. SEP and Board both proved to me they are top performers in 2017

Answer Gaye (Hoover) Let me tell you, this kid does it all. Hoover made some nice strides this season on both sides of the ball. The defense was led by Gaye who plays both the run and pass equally well. Check this out for a body of work, 78 total tackles, 6 TFL and throw in 2 sacks to round out one excellent year. Gaye also contributed on specials by returning punts. Guys like Gaye have laid the foundation for Hoover to build upon and become a force, Hoover without question has some very athletic players. Nice job Mr Gaye, now Hoover take it to the next level and make some noise.

Grayson Graham ( Newton) If you need someone covered is the guy you want, Graham has the size at 6-2 and very adequate cover speed. Check this out, Graham ended the season with 5 picks and 30 tackles but that's not all. This is what really impressed me, he totaled over a 100 yards once he picked the ball, that's 20 yards return with each pick. Hey you want a guy that can also take it to the house, Graham returned 2 of his 5 picks for TD's. Newton finished the year at 8-2, Graham without question was part of the reason why.

Dane Theobald (Lewis Central) Power, Speed and Intensity is how a coach described this dude. Ended the regular season at the top in 4A in (TFL & Assisted TFL) along with 45 tackles and 4 total sacks. Was a key component in 4A's Top Ranked Defense (points allowed per game). I got to see Theobald play twice this year, what's missing on the "Stats Sheet" is how many times he applied pressure and disrupted plays, ask Hoover or Valley. Oh by the way no rest for this guy, the games I watched he played both sides of the ball which is a bit unusual at the 4A level. Ranked at year end by Power Ranks as the #1 DE in 4A.

Jake Morrison (Waukee) This kid put up some very impressive stats this year, Morrison was near or at the top throughout the year in Sack. Morrison had a very well rounded year as he contributed with over 40 total tackles on the season along with 15 (TFL & Assisted TFL). Another guy that loves to get after it and apply pressure and it never stops. I would rank Morrison as one of the top 2-3 rush ends I've seen play over this year and last (Morrison, Theobald and Waggoner). Has a great frame with long arms that translate perfectly to the next level, just needs to add some body weight and strength. I was told by a local coach that this kid has tremendous upside, we'll all be watching you take the next step Great year individually and congratulations to Waukee on making another playoff appearance.

Nick Rezek (Johnston) Every team need to have a horse on your D-Line, viewers meet my horse "Mr. Rezek". What I like about Rezek is his ability to play inside when needed or line up on the edge and make a play. Was a run stopper with 25 solo tackles for the year and 36 total tackles. Every coach wants there O-Line to get penetration into the backfield, well Rezek was very successful recording 14 TFL which ranks him Top 15 in that category as well. Rezek joins fellow Johnston teammate Newcomb on my team which should not come as a surprise Johnston just completed a school record breaking season.

Sam Stevens (DSM Lincoln) I have to admit I have not seen Stevens play a down this year but I couldn't leave him off the list considering the numbers he put up. sorry, I am going strictly stats on this pick. Take note, 52 total tackles, 17 TFL& Assisted TFL and throw in 4 sacks on the season. Plus he tips the scale around 3 bills, so come along and join the team Sam Stevens.

Darius Manuel (Valley) Manuel is a player that doesn't have all the big numbers but the kid knows how to play the game. He is blessed with a great body and watching him play it quickly becomes obvious he's freaky football strong. With that said he did have a very respectable 28 tackles on the year with 9TFL & Assisted TFL and a sack. He does an excellent job against the run and O- tackles have a hard time with his punishing bull rush, he will defintely give you a headache by the end of the game. Key to Valley having another great season and very capable of playing at the next level.

So there you have it, my defensive team for 2017. I know I'm missing some great players which could be due to numerous reasons ( injury, lack of playing time, or my incompetency). I also want to point out again that I tend to reward good players on good teams... those teams are good for a reason or so is my belief. In any event feel free to add players with a little justification if possible.
Also lets get a list going from the east side.

After a fun Friday & Saturday at the Dome I'll complete the Offense.

DSM SPORTS FAN

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtimefootball
I really like Cent. and the 2 guys you mentioned can also flat out play. I had Hilbert with his 70 plus tackles on and off the list 4 times. I agree he could have easily made the list.
Both are excellent players and Cent.is a great team that could easily come home with a state title.
Also I tried to put players in by positions which really hurts other players if that position is loaded. Maybe I should just pick players and not focus on spots...best 11-12 players in Central Iowa?

Best of luck today

Last edited:
Great job DSM Sports Fan! I got to see 8 of your 12 play this year and think you identified kids that really excelled. Can't wait to read your offense list.

Great job DSM Sports Fan! I got to see 8 of your 12 play this year and think you identified kids that really excelled. Can't wait to read your offense list.

Thank you kind sir.this is my second year and both years I've felt bad knowing I am leaving great players and darn good kids off the list.
The offense list is driving me nuts so many good guys to choose from.

Job well done, I like that you give your reason for the selection. I would also vote to stay by position, would not be fair to have a list full from one position.
Like the other poster commented, I have seen some of these kids play against S.C East/North/West over the past 2 years, all very deserving.
Will be waiting for the Offense to come out.

I had the opportunity to watch last night game, the atmosphere before the game was unreal in anticipation of the rematch. My selections that played in the game all did great and validated why the were selected.

Ankeny Cent seniors, what a 2 year run you guys had, be very proud.

I am looking forward to watching the East/West Match-up next week, should be a great contest.

I was told that the INA started voting today for All State Players using a new on-line voting system. Supposedly they are having all sorts of challenges, some interesting Tweeter post from Sports Writers about it.
I really hope for the players sake this ends with a good outcome, hate to see players not getting recognized.

If anyone knows any more about it and what issues they are having please inform us.

Nice job, DSM SPORTS FAN. Enjoyed reading your picks and rationale behind.

You made some great points about relying on stats. Stats are really important, but you’re correct, there were so many lop-sided games, we have no idea how long the starters stayed in the game on either team, etc. Also, as you said, stats are highly subjective—especially on the defense side. My husband and I brought up flaws three separate times we’d found on tackle counts for a couple
kids on quikstats to our son’s coaches. Twice they changed it. Third they basically said, “Oh well.” Really? Frustrating for parents when we know those stats really ARE rightly used by folks like you, websites such as this, and others.

I enjoyed reading about these kids. Haven’t seen several play live. I’m going to check a few out on hudl. Nice work.

I appreciate your feedback, I really try to put time into the selections. I hear your frustration a lot regarding stats, its unfortunate.
Good idea on checking out hudl.
Thanks again for your feedback

I was told that the INA started voting today for All State Players using a new on-line voting system. Supposedly they are having all sorts of challenges, some interesting Tweeter post from Sports Writers about it.
I really hope for the players sake this ends with a good outcome, hate to see players not getting recognized.

If anyone knows any more about it and what issues they are having please inform us.

Here is what I heard and what others have posted about the on line INA ALL- State Voting.

1) Not all the players who made all district which makes them eligible for All State showed up on the voting ballot as a selection
2) Some players showed up as linemen while others showed up at a unique position ( Guard or Center) From what I understand in some cases there may only be 2 players to pick from while other positions there are 8-10 players ( if someone can better explain please do so)
3) Players that played 1-3 years ago showed up on the ballot as a selection choice
4) Sports writers can't chat live so they may be voting for players they really don't know anything about. A lot of chat about losing the live interactions with other writers or coaches discussing players.

That's the just of what I've read

Here is what I heard and what others have posted about the on line INA ALL- State Voting.

1) Not all the players who made all district which makes them eligible for All State showed up on the voting ballot as a selection
2) Some players showed up as linemen while others showed up at a unique position ( Guard or Center) From what I understand in some cases there may only be 2 players to pick from while other positions there are 8-10 players ( if someone can better explain please do so)
3) Players that played 1-3 years ago showed up on the ballot as a selection choice
4) Sports writers can't chat live so they may be voting for players they really don't know anything about. A lot of chat about losing the live interactions with other writers or coaches discussing players.

That's the just of what I've read

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/AllStateFBClass4A

Darn it. Was hoping to get a peek at the ballot, but nope. Just the rules. Would love to see the ballot. I’m hellbent I’m figuring out just the All-District teams!

Sounds like it is still a big mess. Go search Twitter for "INA all state" and read some of the responses as late as last night. Really too bad for the players if they try to pass this off as legit.

All that's available is coaches comments on players, since the voting is over the ballot with names is no longer available.

Some interesting coaches comments on players, hope those players showed up on the ballot.

Last edited:
Sounds like it is still a big mess. Go search Twitter for "INA all state" and read some of the responses as late as last night. Really too bad for the players if they try to pass this off as legit.

HOLY CRAP what a mess!!!!!
I followed what you suggested and went onto twitter and did the search, "UNREAL" is all I can say.
This is so unfortunate for the players

So should they release the names next week or call a redo and go back to the old way ( meeting) creating a new list?

Last edited:
Given the screw ups as shared by some voters, not sure how they could release names. Given the INA's unwillingness to correct things up front when they knew things weren't right, I hope we don't see a few guys picking the teams for everyone...

Such a political joke. District level is much worse. Kids get 1st team all district that cant make the playoffs two years running. Not even a close horse race.

Such a political joke. District level is much worse. Kids get 1st team all district that cant make the playoffs two years running. Not even a close horse race.

Every school get's a predetermined number of first, second, and hm picks for their team based on where they finish in the district. Coaches pick their own players. That's why some districts have three qbs and 3 OL. Complaining about a kid from a different school on an all district team is silly, they can pick whoever they want. Prairies coaches didn't pick your son, it has nothing to do with any other program.

Reactions: EHS1505
Every school get's a predetermined number of first, second, and hm picks for their team based on where they finish in the district. Coaches pick their own players. That's why some districts have three qbs and 3 OL. Complaining about a kid from a different school on an all district team is silly, they can pick whoever they want. Prairies coaches didn't pick your son, it has nothing to do with any other program.

It was, at one point, district wins +1... that way even 0-whatever gets 1 all-district kid. Zero voting. 100% coach's decision.

Think there needs to be voting, but there is not at present.

i just read that some Newspaper will not publish the INA All- State Team. From the post it says the paper just could not publish the list, I believe it's the Cedar Rapids paper and possibly more. Sounds Bad!

Last edited:
Reactions: Adidasfootball
i just read that some Newspaper will not publish the INA All- State Team. From the post it says the paper just could not publish the list, I believe it's the Cedar Rapids paper and possibly more. Sounds Bad!
Wow! No. Doesn’t sound good! I’m still trying to figure out the All-District Team. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT