ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Boys and Girls Soccer

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
The season is underway!
Thoughts? Favorites this year? Up and coming teams?

In 1A, Solon got off to a fast start winning their first 7 games, but have dropped their last three. In a great early season test, Solon and Beckman played last Saturday, with Beckman winning 2-0. They look like the team to beat once again.
Gladbrook-Reinbeck and IC Regina look like they will have strong seasons again this year.
Should be a good match up tonight with 3-0 Regina vs. 3-0 Waterloo Columbus.

2A top ranked Norwalk dropped a couple of close contests to 3A schools this past week, but have a very strong team. Storm Lake and Xavier should stay near the top as well.

Will this finally be City High's year in Class 3A? They are off to a strong 5-0 start. But, a big showdown with Iowa City West looms on Friday which will be held at the U of I soccer field. This game is always one of the best atmospheres for a high school soccer game in Iowa. Come out and catch it if you can.

I can speak on GR a little bit. they lost their goalie and a few key defenders from last season. typically they win matches with their defense. This season they will be selling out on offense a little more than in past seasons.

G-R did have a great defense. Looks like they will get their first challenge of the season Thursday against a Decorah team that is always solid.

The Catholic School Tournament is being held this weekend at TUMA. There is a chance that Regina could play Beckman if both advance to the Finals. That would be a great game and I hope it happens. Regina handled previously unbeaten Waterloo Columbus 6-0 last night.

Saw that Regina/Wloo Columbus score. There was some expectation around here that it would be closer. GR's first game vs Columbus was canceled. So I haven't heard just how good Columbus is. Decorah will be a good measuring stick for where GR is at. They really haven't been tested yet.

Great game between City and West High on Friday night. City really dominated the possession and chances, but just couldn't find a way to finish. West wins 1-0 in a game filled with great saves and very physical play.
Here are the brief highlights from KCRG:

http://www.kcrg.com/content/sports/IC-West-sweeps-soccer-doubleheader-from-City-High-420138903.html

Catholic Schools Tournament over the weekend had lots of good, close games. Assumption spoiled a potential 1A #1 vs. #2 match up between Beckman and Regina, as they beat Regina 1-0 in the semi-finals and then beat Beckman 1-0 in the Finals.

The loss for Beckman ends their unbeaten streak at 47 games. An impressive run.

Assumption was ranked #5 in 1A coming into the weekend. Taking down the two top ranked teams certainly puts them in the mix as a real contender for the 1A Championship this season.

Last edited:
Some good games last night:
Waterloo Columbus gets back on track with a good win over Nevada.
Gladbrook-Reinbeck pulls out a road win in Postville after going to penalty kicks.
Danville avenges their only loss on the season and hands top 10 ranked Burlington Notre Dame just their second loss of the season.
West Liberty gets a good win over 2A Clear Creek.

Some good game tonight as well:
Decorah at Hudson
CR Washington at undefeated CR Prairie
Iowa City High at CR Xavier

Danville won the game after their Goalie was given a red card in the first 4 minutes of the game, down a player for the rest of the game. It was a bush league call I heard?

How the heck does a goalie get kicked out of a game?

What is with the Waterloo teams? Neither the boys or girls for Waterloo West (East? Honestly do not know) have a JV/sophomore team? What gives?

To put my question a different way, where does the limited talent in Waterloo go?

He came out of the box to sweep a ball and the opponent ran into him, goalie pulled off at last second knowing they were going to hit. 170lb goalie against a 120lb kid. Red cards should be issued only if it is 100% "intent', not on a 50/50 ball like that. I have seen the video and other officials have too, and they say never should of been a red.

If the keeper made contact with the player before touching the ball and prevented a direct goal scoring opportunity because of it...that's a red card.
I'd have to see it to be sure, but that is the most common way that a keeper would receive a red card. Tough situation though, the ref doesn't want to have to make that call either I'm sure.

I believe 4 red cards in a season for a team makes them ineligible for the post-season.

How the heck does a goalie get kicked out of a game?

What is with the Waterloo teams? Neither the boys or girls for Waterloo West (East? Honestly do not know) have a JV/sophomore team? What gives?

To put my question a different way, where does the limited talent in Waterloo go?

Maybe playing club for CVSC? not sure if kids play club over JV or not? Plus its Waterloo, so you have to factor that in.

Maybe playing club for CVSC? not sure if kids play club over JV or not? Plus its Waterloo, so you have to factor that in.

Many Clubs only offer up to U15 during the spring season due to most of the kids playing with their high school teams.
Cedar Valley is a good Club, but not typically up to the level of Des Moines or Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area Clubs.

In the situation with a goal keeper there doesn't have to be much contact. If you interfere with a obvious goal scoring opportunity it is a automatic red card much like a hand ball that deflects a goal shot. If the keeper doesnt come up with the ball or even a part of it , and if the referee sees that the keeper is only trying to slow the opponent or affect his shot, he can make that call.

Xavier with a big 3-2 win over Iowa City High last night. That is back to back losses for City after being ranked #1 in 3A going into the West High game. It won't get any easier for City as they travel to undefeated and second ranked CR Prairie tonight.

West Liberty put up a strong win (5-1) over North Scott, Eldridge last night. They will be tough in the playoffs.

Speaking of the playoffs, the Substate group assignments have been released:
http://www.iahsaa.org/soccer/2017-soccer-substate-assignments/

Xavier girls destroyed Wahlert girls last night 10-0 in varsity and JV.

Wahlert boys beat Xavier boys in the cold at Wahlert's field.

I have not been around the state enough to comment about very many places, but all 3 soccer fields (DBQ Soccer Complex, Wahlert field and DBQ Senior High field) are cold and windy locations. None of them are sheltered in any way so cold windy weather like yesterday is not very fun.

I was surprised to see Xavier drop that game. Especially coming off of that big win over City High. Quick turnaround after such a big game with City though.

City High dropped their third straight game last night, a 1-0 to #2 CR Prairie. Prairie remains undefeated and seem likely to take over the top spot in 3A after #1 WDM Valley fell to Waukee 3-2 on Tuesday.

3A #5 Bettendorf faced perhaps their toughest test of the year at 1A #1 Regina. Bettendorf came into the game without allowing a single goal all season, but the Regals scored twice and Bettendorf escaped with a 3-2 win in a hard fought game. Regina travels to 1A #4 Solon on Saturday in what should be a great game in terrible weather. Hopefully they can get the game in.

Any report on the Waverly-Shell Rock vs. Gladbrook Reinbeck game? Couple of very good teams matching up there last night.

I was able to check out the Regina vs. Solon game on Saturday. Game was played in a cold and steady rain, pretty miserable. Regina won the game 1-0 (7-6 in pk's). But, in reality, Regina dominated much of the game with Solon resorting to clearing the ball time after time hoping to run onto one for a counter.

Interestingly enough, one of the Assistant Referees was a parent of a Solon player. I guess I didn't know they would allow that or assign refs with a conflict in the game. It did seem to play a role in the game with a couple of questionable calls late in the overtime periods.

Regina's top goal scorer was injured in the second half and had to be carried off the field. It would be a big loss if he is sidelined for long.

#3 Gladbrook-Reinbeck comes to Iowa City tonight to take on Regina. Hopefully they can get the game in, it's been raining for the past 4 days straight...

Regina vs. G-R canceled due to weather and not rescheduled. Too bad, would have been a good one.

too bad the Regina GR game was canceled. Not sure what happened in the WSR game. here is an excuse for ya, GR lets their kids dual sport. so their schedule can get pretty busy. a lot of kids dual in soccer and track.

I was able to check out the Regina vs. Solon game on Saturday. Game was played in a cold and steady rain, pretty miserable. Regina won the game 1-0 (7-6 in pk's). But, in reality, Regina dominated much of the game with Solon resorting to clearing the ball time after time hoping to run onto one for a counter.

Interestingly enough, one of the Assistant Referees was a parent of a Solon player. I guess I didn't know they would allow that or assign refs with a conflict in the game. It did seem to play a role in the game with a couple of questionable calls late in the overtime periods.

Regina's top goal scorer was injured in the second half and had to be carried off the field. It would be a big loss if he is sidelined for long.

#3 Gladbrook-Reinbeck comes to Iowa City tonight to take on Regina. Hopefully they can get the game in, it's been raining for the past 4 days straight...
I believe he is the parent of a Freshman. Did he do a good job? Were there calls he made or didn't make that favored one side? I know who you are referring to.

too bad the Regina GR game was canceled. Not sure what happened in the WSR game. here is an excuse for ya, GR lets their kids dual sport. so their schedule can get pretty busy. a lot of kids dual in soccer and track.
A lot of schools have this - especially in the mid 2A (Soccer classification) and lower classes.

A couple top 1A schools struggled in tournaments last weekend, with Regina falling to Des Moines Hoover in pk's and a surprise 0-2 loss to Nevada. They bounced back with an overtime win on the road against a tough West Liberty team, but then were easily handled by 3A Pleasant Valley.

Gladbrook-Reinbeck lost to Benton and Spencer, but were also beaten by Columbus Catholic 6-2, a score that surprised me.
G-R has a tough finish to their schedule as well, at Hudson and at undefeated Iowa Falls-Alden.

Assumption reached the #1 spot in 1A and continue to roll, as does Beckman. Those two schools will play this Saturday in what could potentially be a preview of the State Championship match.

Iowa City high put the brakes on their 3 game losing skid and have won 5 straight since. CR Prairie remains undefeated in 3A, not an easy accomplishment.

Reactions: o2bahawk
The Playoffs have begun! Any thoughts on the substate brackets?

No real surprises in the first round that I noticed. Second round is this Wednesday and will feature some better games:

CLASS 1A:
Marquette Catholic, Bellevue @ Beckman Catholic, Dyersville (at Beckman Catholic, Dyersvile)
Columbus Catholic, Waterloo vs. Postville @ Columbus Catholic, Waterloo
Kuemper Catholic, Carroll @ Des Moines Christian (at Des Moines, Christian)
Ankeny Christian Academy @ GCGR, Gladbrook-Reinbeck (at GCGR-Gladbrook-Reinbeck)
Gilbert vs. Creston @ Gilbert
Western Christian, Hull @ Humboldt (at Humboldt)
Sioux Center @ MOC-Floyd Valley (at MOC-Floyd Valley)
Nevada vs. Garner-Hayfield-Ventura @ Nevada
Notre Dame, Burlington vs. Columbus/WMU @ Notre Dame, Burlington
Iowa Mennonite, Kalona @ Regina, Iowa City (at Regina, Iowa City)
Holy Trinity Catholic, Fort Madison @ Solon (at Solon)
Danville vs. West Liberty @ St. Vincent Athletic Complex - Field #1
Prince of Peace Catholic @ Assumption, Davenport (at St. Vincent Athletic Complex - Field #2)
Tri-Center, Neola vs. St. Albert, Council Bluffs @ Treynor
Treynor @ AHSTW, Avoca (at Treynor)
Williamsburg vs. Pella Christian @ Williamsburg

CLASS 2A:
Bondurant-Farrar @ ADM, Adel (at ADM, Adel)
Webster City @ Storm Lake (at Buena Vista University)
Spencer @ Denison-Schleswig (at Buena Vista University)
Maquoketa @ Clear Creek Amana (at Clear Creek-Amana)
Harlan @ Winterset (at Earlham (NOTE SITE CHANGE))
Pella @ Grinnell (at Grinnell)
Newton @ Hudson (at Hudson)
South Tama County, Tama @ Iowa Falls-Alden-AGWSR (at Iowa Falls-Alden)
Mount Pleasant @ Keokuk (at Keokuk)
Central DeWitt High School @ Marion (at Marion)
Knoxville @ Norwalk (at Norwalk)
Ballard @ Perry (at Perry)
Decorah @ Wahlert, Dubuque (at Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque)
Benton Community @ Waverly-Shell Rock (at Waverly-Shell Rock)
Mid-Prairie, Wellman @ Xavier, Cedar Rapids (at Xavier, Cedar Rapids)

CLASS 3A:
Des Moines, East @ Ames (at Ames)
Lewis Central @ Ankeny Centennial (at Ankeny Centennial (Northview Middle School))
Clinton @ Bettendorf (at Bettendorf)
Dowling Catholic, West Des Moines @ Des Moines, Abraham Lincoln (at Cownie Soccer Complex)
Burlington @ Davenport, Central (at Davenport (Brady Street Stadium))
Epworth, Western Dubuque @ Iowa City, City High (at Iowa City (Unversity of IA Soccer Complex))
Mason City @ Iowa City, West (at Iowa City, West)
Ankeny @ Johnston (at Johnston)
Waterloo, West @ Cedar Rapids, Washington (at Kingston Stadium)
Cedar Rapids, Jefferson @ Cedar Rapids, Kennedy (at Kingston Stadium)
Southeast Polk @ Sioux City, North (at Leeds Field, Sioux City)
Muscatine @ Pleasant Valley (at Pleasant Valley)
Marshalltown @ Prairie, Cedar Rapids (at Prairie, Cedar Rapids)
Des Moines, Hoover @ Urbandale (at Urbandale)
Sioux City, East @ Valley, West Des Moines (at Valley Stadium, West Des Moines)
Des Moines, Roosevelt @ Waukee (at Waukee)

A few good match ups tonight:

1A #6 Danville vs. #8 West Liberty - tough match up this early in the post season.
#3 Regina vs. #11 IMS

2A: #10 Waverly-Shell Rock vs. #12 Benton Community

That surprised me as well, but I'm not familiar with them at all.
Things get serious on Saturday with the tough games on the playoff schedule:

CLASS 1A:
Beckman Catholic, Dyersville vs. Columbus Catholic, Waterloo @ Beckman Catholic, Dyersvile
Des Moines Christian vs. Gilbert @ Des Moines, Christian
GCGR, Gladbrook-Reinbeck vs. Garner-Hayfield-Ventura @ GCGR-Gladbrook-Reinbeck
Sioux Center vs. Western Christian, Hull @ MOC-Floyd Valley
Regina, Iowa City vs. Williamsburg @ Regina, Iowa City
Solon vs. Columbus/WMU @ Solon
Assumption, Davenport vs. Danville @ St. Vincent Athletic Complex
Treynor vs. St. Albert, Council Bluffs @ Treynor

CLASS 2A:
Storm Lake vs. Spencer @ Buena Vista University
Iowa Falls-Alden-AGWSR vs. Hudson @ Iowa Falls-Alden
Marion vs. Clear Creek Amana @ Marion
Bishop Heelan Catholic, Sioux City vs. Winterset @ Memorial Field, Sioux City
Norwalk vs. Pella @ Norwalk
Perry vs. Bondurant-Farrar @ Perry
Wahlert, Dubuque vs. Benton Community @ Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque
Xavier, Cedar Rapids vs. Mount Pleasant @ Xavier, Cedar Rapids

CLASS 3A:
Ames vs. Dowling Catholic, West Des Moines @ Ames
Bettendorf vs. Davenport, Central @ Bettendorf
Iowa City, City High vs. Pleasant Valley @ Iowa City (Unversity of IA Soccer Complex)
Iowa City, West vs. Waterloo, West @ Iowa City, West
Des Moines, Roosevelt vs. Johnston @ Johnston (NOTE SITE CHANGE)
Prairie, Cedar Rapids vs. Cedar Rapids, Kennedy @ Prairie, Cedar Rapids
Urbandale vs. Ankeny Centennial @ Urbandale

Assumption vs. Danville should be a good one.
We'll see if Iowa Falls can continue their unbeaten run against a solid opponent.
City High vs. Pleasant Valley is a state tournament level match up I think.
Kennedy gave unbeaten CR Prairie a tough 1-0 test last time they matched up.

And, the 2017 State Soccer Tournament field is set!
Here is a link to the brackets:
http://www.iahsaa.org/soccer/2017-state-soccer-brackets/

No big surprises in 1A. The seeding in the tournament bracket seems a bit off to me though. I did think Gladbrook-Reinbeck would get past GHV, but I just didn't know much about them. They must have a great team this year. Dyersville and Assumption look like favorites to meet in the Championship game. But, we'll see...if Regina can get past Solon again, that will set up what should be a great Beckman vs. Regina semi-final. Regina has advanced to State for 10 straight seasons now. That is remarkable consistency.

In 2A, Iowa Falls passed their test and beat Hudson 4-3 to advance to State. Some familiar teams will challenge again with Norwalk, Perry and Xavier looking for the title.

In 3A, both Iowa City High and Iowa City West advance to State. 6th straight trip to State for City High. CR Prairie gets a rematch with West High in their first game which should be a good one. Bettendorf has a great team as well and could make a run at it.

Hopefully we'll get some great weather for the games this week.

1A games are underway!
Regina strikes first scoring 35 seconds into the game. Regina 1, Solon 0

3-0 Assumption over GHV.
Regina is completely dominating Solon, but are only up 1-0 at half.
Beckman scores early in the second half to go up 3-0 over Sioux Center.
2-0 Gilbert over St. Albert at half.

Finals:
Regina 3, Solon 0
Gilbert 2, St Albert 1
Assumption 6, GHV 0

Unsure of Beckman final, but they won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT