ADVERTISEMENT

2017-18 1A Top 5

Given they have pretty much everyone back, I would put North Linn at the top.

GVC is likely a top 5 team with a lot of players returning as well. They'll have two starters graduating but a solid bench coming back. Glenn could be a tough replacement.

Hopefully some fans from the NW or SE can chime in on schools to look out for from those areas.

Teams to look out for from the NW part of the state: Starting with the two that made it to state, MVAO will be solid again. They return their leading scorer, point guard, and many bench contributors. RSM returns their leading scorer and 3 other juniors who started multiple games this past year. Look for Gehlen as another team who will make some noise. They only lose one senior. It looks like GLR will be the 1A team to look out for from the Siouxland. They return a lot. Don't know much about Boyden Hull's younger guys but I expect them to have a say by the end of the year as always.

Given they have pretty much everyone back, I would put North Linn at the top.

GVC is likely a top 5 team with a lot of players returning as well. They'll have two starters graduating but a solid bench coming back. Glenn could be a tough replacement.

Hopefully some fans from the NW or SE can chime in on schools to look out for from those areas.

You need to rephrase that as they have no seniors this year!!

New London returns a solid nucleus

It'd be great if you could add some more color on New London. I was only able to see part of their first round game (North Linn I think), but thought they were solid. Is Dentlinger (spelling?) back? Their two guards were really good - what is their status?

MVAO made the championship a few years ago if not mistaken.
RSM was a tough, tough team this year. Could've very well been in the championship this year - couple plays away.

It'd be great if you could add some more color on New London. I was only able to see part of their first round game (North Linn I think), but thought they were solid. Is Dentlinger (spelling?) back? Their two guards were really good - what is their status?
I believe both guards are back...they will lose the older Dentlinger, who was the 6'7" kid...rest of their nucleus is pretty solid

They withdrew because the improvement in their program in basketball meant that their presence was not beneficial to them or to the teams in that conference. It was a no win situation for everyone involved. If they play their normal style of play it's discouraging for their opponents and they are accused of poor sportsmanship for running up the score. If they stop playing their game after one quarter when the game is already over (and stop trying to score?) then it is disrespectful to the opponent and doesn't prepare them for playing good teams.

Yes, all sports starting in the fall. Remember that football is district-based, not conference-based.

Just to clarify, most of the schools in the Bluegrass are small towns in southern Iowa, some of which are struggling, and so the schools are tiny. But don't feel too sorry for them, because they always got their revenge on us if we played them in football...we don't have a strong football program, and those farm boys would just steamroll us!

I've heard differently. I've heard the Bluegrass kicked them out, and that it was NOT in fact a "mutual" decision, but rather the Bluegrass acted to remove them based on "ethical" reasons.
They withdrew because the improvement in their program in basketball meant that their presence was not beneficial to them or to the teams in that conference. It was a no win situation for everyone involved. If they play their normal style of play it's discouraging for their opponents and they are accused of poor sportsmanship for running up the score. If they stop playing their game after one quarter when the game is already over (and stop trying to score?) then it is disrespectful to the opponent and doesn't prepare them for playing good teams.

Yes, all sports starting in the fall. Remember that football is district-based, not conference-based.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
I've heard differently. I've heard the Bluegrass kicked them out, and that it was NOT in fact a "mutual" decision, but rather the Bluegrass acted to remove them based on "ethical" reasons.

I was debating on chiming in, what I heard is all 2nd hand. Also, it's hard to know what contacts people on here have; and didn't want to see something get spread around if it didn't come to pass.

Throughout the club season, I heard GVC was looking to go into a more competitive conference. The reasons I heard were similar to what iowalongs230 stated - ADs complaining about the perception of running up the score or pulling starters early - a "no win" for either side.

This is probably a "he said/she said", and some truth on both sides.

Whatever happened, it is best for all parties involved. It doesn't seem like the Bluegrass is going to get any better especially with Murray losing all of their starters and they were one of the decent teams. It looks like ACA will become the team everyone hates in the Bluegrass because I'm sure they will win every conference game next year. How is GV going to fill their schedule?

After looking at some of the scores from the season, I can see why the conference may have been a little upset. I also heard they pressed well into the second half in some of these blowout games as well.

That's just simply not true. I can't remember a single game where we pressed much past the 1st quarter. Certainly when we got up by 25-30 we called off the press.

Good, I was hoping that was the case
The times I saw them, GV boys and girls pressed into the second half...they even played a team with 6 or 7 players left after sickness and bottom of the bluegrass and GV scored 110+...tough situation...
GV grew a lot last season in students, maybe they will be 2A eventually, like Des Moines Christian, and can play in a larger school conference...DMC conference is almost 2A now....maybe GV can join the West Central...who will GV play next season in basketball? Maybe they can play 2A and 3A schools thru season, get good competition even they loose and then run the 1A tourney again...like Xavier did this year....

giphy.gif

That's just simply not true. I can't remember a single game where we pressed much past the 1st quarter. Certainly when we got up by 25-30 we called off the press.

The times I saw them, GV boys and girls pressed into the second half...they even played a team with 6 or 7 players left after sickness and bottom of the bluegrass and GV scored 110+...tough situation...
GV grew a lot last season in students, maybe they will be 2A eventually, like Des Moines Christian, and can play in a larger school conference...DMC conference is almost 2A now....maybe GV can join the West Central...who will GV play next season in basketball? Maybe they can play 2A and 3A schools thru season, get good competition even they loose and then run the 1A tourney again...like Xavier did this year....

The HOIAC is losing CMB, maybe fill that void? There will only be 3 2A schools (South Hamilton, Roland-Story and PCM) next year, the rest 3A. Outside of Greene County, none of the schools would be bad travel wise and GC would be closer than most of the Bluegrass. That would only mean 5-6 OOC games to find, play DMC and ACA, only around 3 more.

FTR, I have no knowledge of anything, just throwing it out as a possibility.

Reason given publically? GVC doesn't have a broad enough athletic program. Basically a volleyball & basketball school. Inwardly? There was NO WAY the WCAC ADs were going to let in another private school...

Again, these are facts. Also, if you think DMC, or many of the other WCAC schools are going to be scheduling GVC anytime soon in non-conf., you are sadly mistaken. They (and especially DMC) want nothing to do with whats going on over there....

Reason given publically? GVC doesn't have a broad enough athletic program. Basically a volleyball & basketball school. Inwardly? There was NO WAY the WCAC ADs were going to let in another private school...

Again, these are facts. Also, if you think DMC, or many of the other WCAC schools are going to be scheduling GVC anytime soon in non-conf., you are sadly mistaken. They (and especially DMC) want nothing to do with whats going on over there....
I am not familiar with that school or area of the state that we'll. What exactly is going on?

They (and especially DMC) want nothing to do with whats going on over there....

Cheer - Can you expand on the bolded comment?

Yup. Hope this isn't a new discovery to you....

Look, it doesn't take much to see what is going on over there. A very wealthy family that has chased an elusive basketball title thru 3 of the 4 non-public (non-catholic) high schools in the city has finally gotten one (albeit without any of their own kids playing on the team). The transfers that said coach (and family) has encouraged to follow them at each stop has always had a tinge of dirtiness attached to it. I addressed it in a previous thread and was shouted down by GVC apologists. If you want to carry water for the coach and family have at it. Nice people, sure, but at the end of the day, where are their priorities at? At some point, high school ends, and you have to look at yourself in the mirror. Is it all about chasing championships?

And to the previous comment that GVC always pulled their press off and such...ok. Ask the teams of the WCAC why they don't like DMC. Pretty much starts and ends with when that coach was there and allowed his son to score over 2100 career points, much to humiliation of other conference teams...

Reactions: mylameusername
Yup. Hope this isn't a new discovery to you....

Look, it doesn't take much to see what is going on over there. A very wealthy family that has chased an elusive basketball title thru 3 of the 4 non-public (non-catholic) high schools in the city has finally gotten one (albeit without any of their own kids playing on the team). The transfers that said coach (and family) has encouraged to follow them at each stop has always had a tinge of dirtiness attached to it. I addressed it in a previous thread and was shouted down by GVC apologists. If you want to carry water for the coach and family have at it. Nice people, sure, but at the end of the day, where are their priorities at? At some point, high school ends, and you have to look at yourself in the mirror. Is it all about chasing championships?

And to the previous comment that GVC always pulled their press off and such...ok. Ask the teams of the WCAC why they don't like DMC. Pretty much starts and ends with when that coach was there and allowed his son to score over 2100 career points, much to humiliation of other conference teams...

Good points Cheer.

Yeah, I can definitely see your point on the first bolded statement above, and know of others with that sentiment. I, too, have some questions about how a few of the players got there, and how they are able to attend the school.

As for the family comment, your question is well-stated and pretty much covers it. More could be said, but won't.

You mention 3 of the 4 non-public schools. I'm only aware of his coaching at DMC and GVC. What were the other school's he's been at?

It worked out well for both Xavier and SB-L. Both schools play in 4A conferences, but play 3A tourney. I am all for playing a tough regular season schedule, it makes the team better prepared for tourney time

Reactions: iowalongs230
This needs to be said...people don't like dmc due to factors dating well before 2005. Try the late '90s and early 2000s. Also, boys basketball is not the reason people don't like the school.

dmc has now just become a westside "elite" private school where kids come for all sorts of various reasons besides the "christian" atmosphere.

I even thought about sending my kids there for a time being. From what I gather, one either loves it or hates it...there's not a lot of middle ground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT