ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Track Forecast

Apr 15, 2012
Track & Field official start date is Feb 16 so it will be here before you know it.

Any predictions for the 2015 season? I don't know who's returning in all classes or both genders so I'll start with 4A boys to get things rolling. It seems to me that Linn Mar could be the school to beat again with what could be a very balanced lineup on the track even though they seem lacking in the field but that could change. They are pretty solid in the sprints, relays, distance & middle distance. Johnston will have a good team this year and could/should challenge with their returning balance. Waukee lost a lot of kids but have a great core nucleus to build around and if they find some talent to fill holes, they will be in the mix for sure. Winning the previous year can go a long way the next. CR Washington has a ton of athletes that could compete well in sprints/jumps/md. They would be my dark horse team for top 5. CR Kennedy lost a couple really good athletes and has been strong in the field. Cedar Falls is always a balanced team and could continue to move up in the final tally. Ames should have a good team this year. Not sure where WDM Valley will fit in. I'd never count out IC West. Pleasant Valley looks to have a nice core group of athletes to build around as well.

Just thinking back to state last year; Great performances involving Evans of Linn Mar. Controlled win in the 3200, blasted the anchor leg on record setting medley, handled the 800 field and set a 1600 record that could stand for another 25 years winning solo by 10 seconds. Waukee racked up a lot of points for sure with great team balance. What would the outcome have been if Linn Mar had their top sprinter available, we'll never know. It just seems like the sport in all classes and both genders has really come a long way in the last several years so it will be fun to watch the new superstars come through or at least enjoy continued depth across the board battle it out as the season progresses and culminates at Drake Stadium in May.

Originally posted by On Wings of Eagles:

Just thinking back to state last year; Great performances involving Evans of Linn Mar. Controlled win in the 3200, blasted the anchor leg on record setting medley, handled the 800 field and set a 1600 record that could stand for another 25 years winning solo by 10 seconds. Waukee racked up a lot of points for sure with great team balance. What would the outcome have been if Linn Mar had their top sprinter available, we'll never know. It just seems like the sport in all classes and both genders has really come a long way in the last several years so it will be fun to watch the new superstars come through or at least enjoy continued depth across the board battle it out as the season progresses and culminates at Drake Stadium in May.
Don't overlook Ryan Schweizer to challenge Evans' time.
Evans' 1600m progression was: 4:26 - 4:17 - 4:10 - 4:06
Schweizer's progression thus far is: 4:28 - 4:16
Schweizer also has a very capable coach who took Jason Thomas to a state title head to head over Evans as well as a Drake title in the 800m, a state XC title and a Nike XC regional title.

Pollard, of course, will challenge that time as well, but I'm guessing you were referring specifically to the 4A record.

I hadn't really tried to predict individual performance for this year but Schweizer would definitely be on that list and of course Pollard. Great athletes both and will provide some fun races to watch this spring. I guess I hadn't really gotten a good, up close look at Schweizer until the state CC meet this year and was impressed with his physical stature. Definitely capable of some pretty awesome performances in the future if he stays healthy and continues to improve. I was shocked last year at his pre-Drake performances and just shook my head thinking, geez, Pollard, Evans, Boone boys etc... are really showing the next group coming through what can be done. There's plenty of good coaches in the state that given the right talent are capable of developing it though. A lot of great coaches go overlooked because they don't have that marquis athlete that draws attention to them. It's fun when a talented and motivated athlete pairs up with a knowledgeable, smart coach that understands how to get results without overtraining or injury.

Looking at last years scores and people coming back I would say that Algona and Solon would be in the mix for Class 3A.

Originally posted by zonkeyjerky:

Looking at last years scores and people coming back I would say that Algona and Solon would be in the mix for Class 3A.
Solon will have the majority of their sprints back (to include Ham at hurdles and anchor for 4x1 and 4x2). Field events they lost Ferguson (state champ in shot) and have a up-and-comer in a Jr. If Jr. Streeter M is healthy could compete in the high jump at state. Solon will need someone to qualifiy in one of the longer races to challenge for the title (I think).

I think Algona will be in the top 2. They have those 2 distance runners that will place high in 1600 and then I assume 1 will go in the medley and 1 in the open 800. They have a 400 hurdler and a few more 400 runners that will put them close to 45 points. I don't see a team that is dominate this year in 3A. Looks to be a lot of parity among 3A teams this year I think 45-50 points will probably win it. Has Solon or Algona ran yet at any indoor meets?

And Algona had another freshman run a 52.73 finishing 6th in the 400 at ISU as well.

They are looking tough this year. Hollinger and Hjelle should pull in a lot of points.

Iowa State Meet

Those weren't freshmen. If you notice, every single event listed them as freshmen. The winning 400m runner was Carroll, who was third at state last year as a junior. He's a senior now.

Yep, I will also jump in and say Algona is loaded up pretty good. They will be the team to beat in 3A if they stay healthy. Very impressive showing last night at Ames. I thought the meet was ran very well. Not sure why a team was DQ for unsportsmanlike, I missed it.

WAMAC runs at Cornell this Saturday. Not sure if all will be present as this is SB week for some\most.

Not sure why a team was DQ for unsportsmanlike, I missed it.
I assume you are talking about the medley relay DQ. I won't call out kids or the team itself, but the anchor leg got passed by a couple runners at the end. He chucked the baton at the finish line, which bounced over and nearly hit spectators in the stands. He then laid on the track pounding his fists on the rail and yelling at a team mate before stomping away. Well-deserved DQ and a good life lesson for the young man at fault.

The WaMaC conference is a high school athletic conference in Eastern Iowa made up of mid-sized schools. Named for the three rivers that drain in the area (Wa for Wapsipinicon, Ma for Maquoketa, and C for Cedar), the sixteen team league is one of the strongest conferences in Iowa and holds the two-time defending state football and the 2009 basketball champions in Solon High School. WaMaC also does concert choir and concert band calling them WaMaC Honor Choir and WaMaC Honor Band. However, instead of competition, the schools play together.

WaMac Indoor Results
This post was edited on 3/23 2:03 PM by Vroom_C14

WaMac

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I know of all those schools but couldn't make out the abbreviation. Looks like a tough conference. Who is the early favorite to win conference.

As of right now (VERY EARLY) in 1A boys the front runners are Lisbon, Pekin, Alta/Aurelia, Lawton-Bronson, Earlham, Mount Ayr, and Wapsie Valley. This is looking at current top 10 on quikstats and looking at some of last years returners.

If I had to put an order on them I would say Lisbon and Wapsie are the top 2. AA, LB, MA, and Maharishi are going to steal points from each other in 200,400,800 with Fritz, Prenger, Dolecheck, and Emmanuel. Pekin and Earlham both have high upside from multiple events, but not sure they have a single horse they can rely on like the others.

Personally, I think 50 points wins it this year. As the year plays out it should clear up.

I saw Madrid up at Gowrie the other day. They are in 2A this year, and they were running against a bunch of slappies at Gowrie for the most part, but they look good. Every year they seem to have awesome hurdlers, and this year is no exception.

This post was edited on 4/15 8:36 AM by Herdcyclones

For Class 2A....I have to think West Burlington/Notre Dame have to be the early favorite this point. It'll be tough to knock them off.

4A- 1st Waukee
2nd Pleasant Valley
3A 1st Algona
2nd Pella or Mt. Pleasant
2A - 1st KPWC
2nd West Burlington Notre Dame or Anamosa
1A - 1st Lisbon
2nd No idea

Am I close. Didn't study it too much by breaking down points by event but I here some coaches talking about these teams.

4A- 1st Waukee
2nd Pleasant Valley
3A 1st Algona
2nd Pella or Mt. Pleasant
2A - 1st KPWC
2nd West Burlington Notre Dame or Anamosa
1A - 1st Lisbon
2nd No idea

Am I close. Didn't study it too much by breaking down points by event but I here some coaches talking about these teams.
In the smaller classes 2A appears to be between KPWC and WBND with perhaps Monticello making a push (they've been there before). 1A is going to be really tight in the 40's with Lisbon, Lawton-Bronson, Wapsie Valley, and Belle Plaine.

Call this my mid-season 4A boys report;

Good Invitation teams include; Ames, Pleasant Valley, WDM Dowling, Johnston, Cedar Falls.... Not necessarily in that order.

State Quality Points; Dowling, Waukee, Cedar Falls probably top 3 in that order. Then WDM Valley, & Johnston.

2 key events that will be difference makers for these teams; 4 x 800 & Discus Anyone hanging around going into that last event could have the upper hand when laying claim to a trophy but a lot has to go right up to that point.

Linn Mar should be considered lurking in the shadows. They aren't where they could be in a few weeks and won't show their hand through the Drake Relays due to a couple factors.

A lot of things can and will happen in the next month. Some will rise to the occasion while other fast starters will fade away.

As of right now (VERY EARLY) in 1A boys the front runners are Lisbon, Pekin, Alta/Aurelia, Lawton-Bronson, Earlham, Mount Ayr, and Wapsie Valley. This is looking at current top 10 on quikstats and looking at some of last years returners.

If I had to put an order on them I would say Lisbon and Wapsie are the top 2. ...

Personally, I think 50 points wins it this year. As the year plays out it should clear up.

Spot on with the team, except replace Earlham with Belle Plaine. A little off on the 50 points. I'm not sure any team is going to reach 40. The 1A team race has no favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT