ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Girls State Basketball

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
Iowa City Regina girls basketball punches their ticket to the State a Tournament tonight with a 42-29 win over #5 Dike-New Hartford.
Regina handled D-NH's 6'5" center and used stifling defense to hand D-NH their first 2A loss of the season.
Regina's lone Senior, Hannah Stein, had a big night with 18 points as Regina returns to State for the second time in the last three seasons.

good-luck.gif

i looked at the class 4a schools that made it to the tornament, its loaded with some very good teams...harlan is the favorite, but they will be tested...

I'll go with:
1A Burlington Notre Dame (but I'll be cheering for Newell Fonda)
2A- Unity Christian (but hoping for South Central Calhoun)
3A- Pocahontas Area/LM
4A- Harlan
5A- Don't know- cheering for Iowa City West but hard to argue against West DesMoines Valley

Regardless of who wins each class I hope it is a great week of basketball.. I pray for safe travel for teams/fans/officials as it looks like the weather has decided to come back to the state tournament this year. Hopefully that forecast is wrong. Stay safe everyone- hope it's a great week.

What do you guys see in the scc and ikm manning game? Should be good Right? I see a height match up problem for wolves.But I see quickness on wolves side. What does everyone think? My daughter is a wolve so im kinda partial and hoping for a good out come.Looking for honest opinion.

Wow - 4A Bracket is loaded! There are going to be some great FIRST ROUND games - WD/Indianola and Xavier/Harlan are both great matchups of teams that have been tested by good opponents.

5A is an interesting bracket with the two sides representing two different styles (in general) - the top half is about tempo, scoring and 3-pt shooting (Valley, Southeast Polk, Mason City and Iowa City West), while the bottom half of the bracket is about half-court, inside-outside play (Dowling, Johnston, Waukee) (And before anyone objects, I know all of these teams can shoot the 3 as well, but they are more balanced inside and out). Waukee is kind of the wild card on this side - they love to push tempo and had success in the first matchup with Dowling.

Should be an entertaining tournament on all levels!

hawkfanalso-
I think IKM/Manning and SCC could be one of the best 1st round games in 2A. You are right-, SCC is not going to be outsized by anybody in the field. Having said that- if you look at the teams that have beaten SCC- both, Newell Fonda and Pocahontas area, did it with their guard play. In my opinion- rebounding is the biggest stat of the game against SCC- if you don't rebound well they will make you pay. ( Kind of an obvious observation, I know). I have not seen your team size-wise- but Newell and Poky are not overly tall teams. Should be a great game.

I would also add this- two of the finest coaches in the state in that game. Both Coach Rassmussen and Coach Birks have built programs at their schools that have stood the test of time.....just great coaches and great people.....Hall of Famers.

Originally posted by RamBling:
Wow - 4A Bracket is loaded! There are going to be some great FIRST ROUND games - WD/Indianola and Xavier/Harlan are both great matchups of teams that have been tested by good opponents.

5A is an interesting bracket with the two sides representing two different styles (in general) - the top half is about tempo, scoring and 3-pt shooting (Valley, Southeast Polk, Mason City and Iowa City West), while the bottom half of the bracket is about half-court, inside-outside play (Dowling, Johnston, Waukee) (And before anyone objects, I know all of these teams can shoot the 3 as well, but they are more balanced inside and out). Waukee is kind of the wild card on this side - they love to push tempo and had success in the first matchup with Dowling.

Should be an entertaining tournament on all levels!
I think Harlan beats Xavier and not overly close. Look out for Western Dubuque. They have the size to match up with Harlan's 2 bigs.

Tom - agreed on Harlan over Xavier - thought it might be a good 1st half anyway :)

I'll be curious on the Indy/WD matchup as Indy has a REALLY good big in Berg and has played a 5A schedule - but if WD's 2 bigs neutralize Berg, it could swing WD's way quickly.

I agree on all counts. Xavier has a shot, but I don't think they matchup well, even with Ivester being 6'2. I would definitely match her up on Schaben and not Frederick.

looking for a list of players i should keep an eye on while im in Des Moines this week. Who are the best players that will be playing down in Des Moines(from any class)?

I can speak for 5A - (Not meant to be all-inclusive or in any particular order)

5A
Audrey Faber, Dowling Catholic (Creighton recruit)
Becca Hitner, Dowling Catholic (Drake prospect, has not yet committed)
Reilly Jacobsen, Waukee (not yet committed to my knowledge)
Grace Vanderweide, Valley (Missouri State recruit)
Mikala Morgan, IC West (UNI recruit)
Dani Craig, IC West (Cal St Fullerton recruit)
Taryn Knuth, Johnston (I think committed for Volleyball, not sure where)
Ashton Donels, Southeast Polk (not committed to-date)
Jacey Huinker, Southeast Polk (University of Sioux Falls recruit)
Mackenzie Meyer, Mason City (Iowa recruit)

From 5A the Morgan kid from IC West - going to UNI. 4A - Berg from Indianola...disappointed I haven't seen her in person. Frederick really impresses me from Harlan. Rose Simon-Ressler from Western Dubuque is a tough player. There will be quite a few very good players there.

In 2A I would make sure I saw Ellie Ruffridge from Pocahontas Area. She is probably the biggest impact player in that class. Pocahontas has other nice players with the 3 Meyer sisters, but from sheer game changing ability, this kid is something else. You will enjoy watching Pocahontas Area play. They play fast and just when you think you've done a good job of holding them down, they will stick 10 points on you in a minute- very explosive ball club.

Originally posted by Vikeye3:

looking for a list of players i should keep an eye on while im in Des Moines this week. Who are the best players that will be playing down in Des Moines(from any class)?
Some of the players that I have seen from this part of the state would be-

1A Springville-Matus and Menster. Menster is a freshman, very quick hands and anticipates well.
Matus is a senior, very good 3 point shooter, only 5' but quick release
2A North Linn-Miller, Boers Miller is one of the better players I have seen this year, drives very well plus 3 point
Boers, both of them very well rounded
4A W Dubuque-Maahs, Simon-Ressler Repeating on last years success
5A IC West-Morgan Great shooting, nearly 50% from 3 point

3A
Mediapolis:
Andrea Larson (Sr) 22 pts, 10 rbs, 3 blocks per game, going to Wayne State

Heidi Hillyard (Sr) 10 pts, 11 rbs, 4 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks per game, UNI commit

Darby Massner (Sr) 18 pts, 6 rebs per game including 46% on 3 pointers with 158 attempts.

Mackenzie Rogers (Fr) 9 pts, 8 assists, 4 steals, 3 rebs per game including 39% on 3 pointers with 113 attempts, and 4.37 to 1 assist to turnover ratio which leads the state overall in assists and margin as a freshman.

FYI, Pocahontas Area is 3A, if all goes like it should these two should meet in finals.

Thanks for the correction MepoDawg- Pocahontas is in our league- you'd think I'd get their class right....although they've been 2A for so long I guess it was just habit.
But yes, Ruffridge in 3A. And you are right- I would think them and Mediapolis would meet for the title in 3A.

Originally posted by Vikeye3:

Watching the Ruffridge gal from Poky is pure entertainment. Never seen a guard that can get shots off against any size defender like her. Deb Remmerde from Rock Valley was a better pure shooter, but this girl is a baller!

Although 5A has the best athletes, their state tourney games seem to be a bunch of boring, low-scoring half-court affairs.

On harlan being tested...I don't think so....but you never know

This post was edited on 3/2 10:53 AM by six5hunter

And I think, VAndherhoops, that is what gives Poky the advantage in 3A...when your best player is a post- the defense can keep the ball from her in a lot of cases-even if it's a double team.
But when you have the best player in class 3A and she is a point guard, who really I've never seen anyone be able to keep the ball out of her hands or slow her down- I think that team is in a pretty good spot.

Perhaps somebody at state can but I don't think so. With Poky- you just have to pray they don't shoot the ball well from deep- if they do- I don't think anybody beats them.

i think most of you know by my previous posts that Ive followed Poky pretty closely over the last few years. I dont live in the area, but ive made a few trips to watch them play of the last few years. Ruffridge is the real deal, but she is so incredibly unselfish that over the years it has only made her sophomore classmates that much better. The Meyer twins can catch fire (and from what ive seen have had that ability since 7th grade).. Their older sister seems to be the leader of the team and is just a workhorse with a relentless motor, she is all effort, exactly what you want from a senior on a team full of sophomores.. All three Meyer girls are top tier defenders.

If you havent seen Elle Ruffridge play, i highly suggest you take time to watch.. She is ....... spectacular.

Harlan may have the most impressive win in any class this year by winning at 5A Dowling. That being said, I wouldn't fall asleep vs Waverly-Shell Rock if they can get by Carlisle. Waverly not highly regarded because of weaker schedule, but look at how they fared against the toughest teams they faced. Plus, they have held lots of teams under 40 points as well. In a low scoring game anything can happen in a short amount of time...back-to-back 3's can be a major move in one of those games.

Agreed that Harlan's win over Dowling really shows what level they are playing at (especially with Dowling undressing another 4A tourney team in Xavier the way they did)

Vanderhoops - I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the tempo of (at least) the first round games in 5A - with the exception of Dowling/Johnston I am anticipating uptempo, high scoring affairs in the other 3!

Thoughts from Day 1-

Newell-Fonda is peaking at the right time. Has a tendency, though, to let teams fight back into games after controlling most of the contest. This is gonna be the ghost they'll try to exorcise from last year's state title game, when they get their rematch with Notre Dame, Burlington.

Central Lyon played much better than they did when I saw them last Monday, though they still couldn't shoot the three well and that was a big difference, as Notre Dame was able to knock down a few of those shots against the zone to keep the Lions at bay.

Exira/Elk Horn Kimballton remains one of six unbeatens and Springville pulls a second consecutive upset to reach the semifinals.

Unity stays unbeaten, pulling away from an always tough-to-score-on Cascade team. Should get a good test from South Central Calhoun. They certainly rely on their size to impose their will and they've figured out the best ways to utilize their height advantage to compete at this point in the season. Question will be whether or not they can neutralize Unity's ability to run the floor. This got them into trouble against Pocahontas and Newell-Fonda.

Rough start for Des Moines Christian doomed them. Miller was the best player on the floor, but their team defense and transition game was a big reason for building the lead they had. When the initial dust had settled, DMC had just dug too deep a hole to climb out of, though they certainly did everything they could to battle back.

3 time defending 2A Champs Western Christian lead IC Regina 29-22 at the half.

#2 Western Christian hits their free throws down the stretch and holds off #12 IC Regina 50-45. Great season for the Regals with just one senior on the team and big contributions from freshmen and sophomores.

That sets up a great game between Western Christian and North Linn on Thursday in the quarterfinals.

Impressed with Regina's tenacity!
Didn't seem intimidated despite being underclassmen, shorter, & playing the defending champs.

Western's style of play is hard on the nerves to watch. Always on the verge of out of control and taking chances on both sides of the court. When it goes well, they blow teams out. When it doesn't or opponents can keep their composure, it can go poorly (like today).

I was unable to make the trip and had to listen on the radio, but it sounded like WC's height was a big factor on the boards. And, Regina was misfiring on their three pointers, especially in the first half. But, every time Regina cut the lead to one point late in the game, Western Christian responded with a basket. That is where WC's experience and composure really made the difference. It was an exciting finish and the closest game of all the first round match ups. Good luck to the remaining teams.

On Saturday night, the top-rated Harlan Cyclones did what no school in Iowa history has done. They completed a sweep of the state volleyball and basketball championships in consecutive years with a 56-46 triumph over No. 2 Western Dubuque in the Class 4-A basketball title game at Wells Fargo Arena. Harlan,s skill, chemistry, and prowess is once in a lifetime achievement, something cyclone fans should remember forever

This post was edited on 3/8 12:45 AM by ronsss

Originally posted by ronsss:

On Saturday night, the top-rated Harlan Cyclones did what no school in Iowa history has done. They completed a sweep of the state volleyball and basketball championships in consecutive years with a 56-46 triumph over No. 2 Western Dubuque in the Class 4-A basketball title game at Wells Fargo Arena. Harlan,s skill, chemistry, and prowess is once in a lifetime achievement, something cyclone fans should remember forever

This post was edited on 3/8 12:45 AM by ronsss
Harlan is the best basketball team in the state, regardless of class.

I suppose some will debate that. It would have been closed for debate had Dowling have won the 5A title, given that Harlan went into Dowling's gym and beat them earlier this year.

a little biased here but I would say yes Harlan is without a doubt the best team.

The Dowling game was so early in the season and Frederick came on after the early part of the season.

I don't think there is a better 3 combination in the state like Schaben, Frederick and Wagner

My top 5

1. Harlan - Size(Schaben/Fredrick/Wagner) to play with any 5A team and well coached
2. Waukee - Great balance w/ Jacobsen leading the way
3. Valley - Fuller sisters and Vander Weide, but poorly coached
4. Dowling - Faber/Childers 2 headed monster and experience
5. Iowa City West - Led by Morgan and Craig but lack quality depth

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT