Perry [/B]v. Clear Creek-Amana
Waverly-Shell Rock v. Central Clinton, DeWitt

3A:
Johnston [/B]v. Ames
Iowa City, City High[/B] v. Linn-Mar, Marion
Iowa City, West v. Valley, West Des Moines
Sioux City, West v. Cedar Rapids, Washington

1A:[/B]
Beckman Catholic, Dyersville v. Columbus Community, Columbus Junction; Beckman wins 3-0
Mid-Prairie, Wellman v. Riverside, Oakland; Mid-Prairie wins 6-1
Regina, Iowa City v. West Central Valley, Stuart; Regina wins 4-0
Clear Lake v. MOC-Floyd Valley; Clear Lake wins 2-1

Wasn't a lick of doubt in any of the 1A first round. Just not enough teams in the same caliber.

2A starts off the tournament with 3 blistering matches! Xavier wins in OT. Norwalk wins in 2OT/Pks (they'll play each other). Perry wins a close one 2-1. And WSR wins in 2OT/Pks. 3 of the 4 matches going to OT.

I'm 8/8 on my picks!

Originally posted by \/\/arriorSoccer:
Wasn't a lick of doubt in any of the 1A first round. Just not enough teams in the same caliber.

2A starts off the tournament with 3 blistering matches! Xavier wins in OT. Norwalk wins in 2OT/Pks (they'll play each other). Perry wins a close one 2-1. And WSR wins in 2OT/Pks. 3 of the 4 matches going to OT.

I'm 8/8 on my picks!
I was bouncing all over between the different games, but from what I saw of the Perry game, it really wasn't that close. For the entire time I was watching that game (first half), they were the ones applying all the pressure offensively and just couldn't net many shots.

Looks like I finished 11/12 in the first round of games. Dang, what happened to IC City High? Upset in my book. Round 2!:

1A:

Beckman Catholic, Dyersville v. Mid-Prairie, Wellman
Regina, Iowa City v. Clear Lake

2A:
Xavier, Cedar Rapids v. Norwalk
Perry v. Waverly-Shell Rock

3A:
Johnston v. Linn-Mar, Marion
Iowa City, West v. Cedar Rapids, Washington

City does get upset to eliminate the chance for a rematch of last year's 3A final against West. I had hoped Clear Creek could get the upset and they came close, but couldn't get it done. I think Mid-Prairie has a shot to upset Beckman, but I'm not confident enough to make the pick. I'm considering heading up tomorrow to watch a game or two.

1A:
Beckman Catholic, Dyersville v. Mid-Prairie, Wellman
Regina, Iowa City v. Clear Lake

2A:
Xavier, Cedar Rapids v. Norwalk
Perry [/B]v. Waverly-Shell Rock

3A:
Johnston [/B]v. Linn-Mar, Marion
Iowa City, West v. Cedar Rapids, Washington

Regina with 2 second half goals to defeat Clear Lake 2-1.

That sets the 1A final between Regina and Mid-Prairie. A match up which was rained out during the regular season and never rescheduled.
It will now decide the 1A State Soccer Champion.

I'm 5/6 in 1A picks.

I'm 6/6 in 2A picks.

I'm 5/6 in 3A picks.

...lets hope I go 7/7 in 2A tomorrow!

1A:
Mid-Prairie, Wellman v. Regina, Iowa City

2A:
Norwalk v. Perry

3A:
Johnston v. Iowa City, West

This post was edited on 6/6 7:43 PM by \/\/arriorSoccer

Currently in a weather delay until 2 p.m., but I don't see any way they play today. This storm isn't going to pass through until late afternoon/early evening, and the fields have already been torn up after the last couple days. Fully expect to finish the tournament on Monday.

Officially postponed. Officials spent all of about 10 seconds inspecting the championship field before walking off. The tentative plan is to finish the tournament on Tuesday with the original schedule. They can't play Monday because, with the girls regional finals going on, there won't be enough referees.

I watched the Regina game. They controlled the possession and chances throughout but couldn't find the back of the net. It went to PK's and the Regina keeper made 4 huge saves, including a big one against Errthum, to pull out the Championship for Regina.
That's back to back Championships and Titles in 5 out of the last 6 years for the Regals.
Very impressive.

Iowa City West wins their 3rd straight Championship. First 3A team to ever win three straight Titles.
West has also won 5 out of the last 6 Championships in their class, the same as Iowa City Regina.

West and Regina have won an incredible 10 out of the last 12 Championships in 1A and 3A.
Iowa City has clearly staked its claim as home to the best soccer played in the State of Iowa.

Congrats to both Norwalk and Perry. I hope people do not make too much of Perry's foreign exchange student.

While he was a huge contributor to the team, you don't make it to a state championship game in any team sport on the back of one player. Example: even if you are riding the arm of an ace pitcher in baseball, you still have to have the bats to score yourself.

Perry has a lot of talented members on this soccer squad and without them the foreign exchange student would not have gotten his opportunity at state. It works both ways.

You raise a good point about foreign exchange students. A big deal gets made on these boards about 'recruiting' players, transfers and the public/private debate. But, it appears that foreign exchange students do play a big role in soccer.
I saw that Mid-Prairie had two foreign exchange students in their starting eleven this year. Consequently it's the first year they ever made the State Tournament in soccer.
I wonder how common this is around the state? Bringing in a talented foreign exchange student isn't enough in and of itself to field a great team. But, it sounds like it sure helps quite a bit.

I can not think of any instance where foreign exchange students play significant minutes at big time programs in Iowa. If they do, it's a matter of luck rather then "bringing in a talented foreign exchange student" in order to compete in Iowa soccer.

At the smaller school level, it can make a difference when you have a foreign player who could score 5x/game against programs who are often built on athletes from other sports rather then soccer specific players. Moot point overall.

In Perry's case, did the kid score goals? Sure. He only scored 26% of their goals on the entire year. Perry was far more then one foreign exchange player.

Is Perry playing for a State Championship without Possner on the squad? Who knows? But, perhaps not, he scored the game winning goal in the semi-final.
Bigger schools do utilize foreign exchange students as well. Iowa City High had a starter that was from Italy this season.
I don't have a problem with using the foreign exchange program to bring in soccer talent. I just think it's an interesting topic and we'll probably see more of it going forward.

I would love for you to present a program that actually sought out players from other countries for their soccer season.

The only real case that I'm aware of with this is with Ballard's girls basketball team in 2005 or 2006. Alison Lacey was a "foreign exchange student" from Australia who just happened to be a D1 girls basketball player going to Iowa State the following year.

I'm not saying it's happening now. I'm saying why wouldn't you do it if you could in future years?
It did have an impact this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT