2012 State Tournament

FANattic06

Freshman
Jan 23, 2005
Thoughts? Predictions?

1-A Regina

2-A Norwalk

3-A Iowa City West

It should be a very exciting tournament in all three classes.

3A - Johnston
2A - Norwalk
1A - Regina

2A Predictions:
Wahlert 4 CCA 0
ADM 2 Webster City 1
Norwalk 2 Xavier 0
Pella 4 Spirit Lake 2

I'd say this year is the most wide open the tournament has been in a long time. Most specifically in 2A. Wahlert, Xavier, Pella, Norwalk, Spirit Lake, ADM, all worthy. Shame Xavier/Norwalk/Pella/Spirit Lake are all on the same side of the bracket.

Norwalk/Xavier have met nearly every year for the past 7 or 8 seasons at the big dance. Most times during the state championship. It's safe to say that if Norwalk, Xavier, Pella, or Spirit Lake win it all, it's going to be a well deserved championship.

Always happy to see two more teams from the Little Hawkeye conference in the tourney!

How is Beckman not the #1 seed in 1A?

They are undefeated and have beat and tied the #1 seed WC,they beat the #3 seed Solon #4 seed CBSA and the #5 seed Regina. Not sure what the state was looking at for seeding.

How is Beckman not the #1 seed in 1A?

They are undefeated and have beat and tied the #1 seed WC,they beat the #3 seed Solon #4 seed CBSA and the #5 seed Regina. Not sure what the state was looking at for seeding.

I think it might have something to do with strength of schedule (3A, 2A, 1A wins) but I'm not sure what the exact formula is.
This post was edited on 5/29 2:42 PM by sportsfan011

All teams that qualify for state are seeded by this formula. One point for victory over 1A team, two points for victory over 2A, three points for victory over 3A team. Points are added together, then divided by number of games played, then seeded 1-8. Teams that play a schedule heavy on teams from higher classes get rewarded.

Unless they lose alot to higher classes. You get 0 points for a loss as well as a tie. Playing teams below your class size hurts your points/game average as well.

In 2A, ADM doesn't have the fire power to win and their coach plays way too defensive. Even though they win more than they lose, they are a very boring team to watch and would put a non-soccer fan to sleep.

I like Pella to win in class 2A.

ADM is led by Senior Jonah Waldron. He's a scoring machine. Not sure if the supporting cast will be enough to get past a well rounded Webster City squad. Waldron is the 2nd leading scorer in all classes in Iowa so far.

WC has plenty of wins but a relatively weak schedule over all. Interested to see how good Caleb Crouthamel is with 26 goals on the year. 2nd leading scorer for WC is 10 goals back whereas 2nd leading scorer on ADM is 21 goals back. Shows you where the threat is.

ADM's schedule may prevail though. Solid strong matches vs DM East twice, Urbandale, Ankeny, Nevada, DCG, Perry, Indianola.

Who know's, I'd say this tournament is wide open for the most part though!

ADM's Jonah does score a lot, but the rest of the team is below average. Much like a lot of basketball teams, the coach's strategy is to give one guy all of the shots. When they face a top tier team, that type of strategy fails.

I wouldn't be surprised to see WC pick up the win vs ADM.

ADM relies heavily on Waldron thats a given but according to Quik Stats the remainder of the Tigers might not be as helpless as Dew might think.

In the second season against Winterset Waldron scored 3 of ADM's 6 goals. Three others each accounted for 1 goal. 4 people scored 6 goals. Against Glenwood, Waldron had 2 of ADM's 4 goals with 2 others each adding 1. 3 people scored 4 goals.

ADM has always played defense first, offense second. Get a lead and let the other team try to fight their way back. Instead of getting into a shootout they'd rather sit back and wait patiently to see if the other team makes a mistake. It's their coaches style. He wants the game to become a chess match and not the kind of checker match that Dew enjoys. I will agree though that variety is great and if every soccer game became a chess match it would be like watching nothing but pitching duels on the diamond and would get old real quick.

If Webster City can get on top of ADM early they have a good chance of winning. If it becomes a chess match ADM will likely win.

Wahlert, Pella, Norwalk, and ADM are my picks but if the weather is as crappy as they say anyone could win tomorrow. Double that for Pella and if I were Spirit Lake I'd be doing a rain dance.

I sense Wahlert might cruise thru top half of 2A bracket. Bottom half looks very even. I really like Norwalk's coaching and I see lots of individual players who can change a game for some teams like ADM and Spirit Lake. Pella has some solid team speed and a couple of really good defenders so they could potentially shut down a star, but their coach is unproven. Bottom Line is 2A is wide open. Can't wait to watch.

Well Pella got steam rolled. What happened?

ADM seemed to handle Webster City.

Crazy Norwalk/Xavier match. I felt Norwalk was controlling most of the match. 2 off the bar and a goal called back. Big save by senior GK Spencer Hoyt in PKs.

What happened to Pella was... Zubeen. Pella was shredding the Spirit Lake defense in the first half but couldn't tuck the ball away. Zubeen shook himself free early in the match once and scored. 2nd half Spirit Lake played well and Pella looked lack luster. Pella left Zubeen unmarked two or three times and he scored twice more. He is tough - probably only touched the ball 6-7 times in a threatening position and scores 3X!

Unfortunately Spirit Lake doesn't have a lot of other horsepower but obviously good enough to beat Pella handily. Norwalk is going to be tough for them to score on. So solid on defense.

Stick is right. It doesn't matter if it's football or futball if Pella gets off their beloved turf and on wet grass they are in trouble.

They have become a fairweather team. When playing under ideal conditions they are fearsome. Under less than idea conditions and they have a problem. Timing was off and they just could find the net.

Good defense isn't pretty, flashy, or fun like scoring goals but the Pella team needs to do some work on hard gritty D to help out the offense on those "rainy days'.

2A Predictions

Better matches tomorrow than today.

Today Norwalk and Wahlert win.

Champs = Norwalk

Consolation = ADM

Looking forward to all three championship games on Saturday. Nevada is a lot better then what their 13-7 record indicates. They played a tough regular season schedule and would not be surprised if they beat Columbus.

Although I originally predicted Norwalk, my gut is leaning towards Wahlert winning the 2-A crown. I'm sure the Warriors will have revenge on their mind from 2008.

And I picked Iowa City west, and my gut is saying Iowa City West. No disrespect to Johnston.

I see all three games being decided by 1 goal.

2A match could be the best one in all classes. Wahlert's physical presence....and ability to win 4 penalties in 2 matches thus far...may be too much for the possession style Warriors of Norwalk.

Heard Wahlert was up 2-0 in the first 15 min or so vs ADM on 2 penalties. Heard they had two others early on vs CCA as well. Interesting, haven't seen a penalty on the other side of the bracket other then the Xavier shootout.

If Norwalk can match Wahlert's physicality, I'm going with Norwalk. Too much talent plus such a rock solid defense.

Only time will tell.

I've got Johnston in 3A in a hard fought 2-1 battle. I wouldn't be surprised if ICW blew them out. They've got tons of tourney experience and have won it in big matches many times in the past. Their coaching staff always has them on their toes!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT