ADVERTISEMENT

1A Substate Pick’em

Anonymous111

Freshman
Jun 27, 2018
Substate 1
Algona Garrigan vs South O’Brien

68 - 62

-probably the best two teams playing each other this substate game. I’ll take the slightly taller and better shooting team

Substate 2
Lake Mills vs Turkey Valley

65 - 45
- Lake Mills will have 3 of the 4 best players on the court. Turkey valley will keep the game competitive for 2.5 quarters and then run out of gas

Substate 3
Wapsie vs Ed-Co

55 - 52
- Really hard game to predict. Edco much better now with Rochford back and could pull off another upset... but I’m going to take Wapsie because I think Edco doesn’t have an answer for Kiks Rosengarten. Sorry if I misspelled your teams players name

Substate 4
Springville vs Pekin

68 - 60
-Pekin absolutely went off against a good Notre Dame team. However I think there luck runs out against a good springville team who’s just been a lot more consistent then they have been. Expect this to be one of the higher scoring games of the night.

Substate 5
Montezuma vs Nodaway Valley

71 - 59
- Going to take Montezuma in a back in forth game but they come away with it late. They have the best player on the court at all times and he will dictate this game from start to finish. I will be interested to see how this team gets seeded at state. Very dangerous, but resume isn’t very good.

Substate 6
West Fork vs Ankeny Christian

58 - 57
-Absolutely torn with this pick... I feel like Ankeny Christian is the better team but it’s just so hard to beat 3 great teams in 5 days... they have to be feeling it wear them out. I’m going to take West Fork because I believe they will be the fresher team. Could absolutely see this going either way

Substate 7
Martensdale St Mary’s vs Mt. Ayr

59 - 47
- Martensdale won this matchup earlier in the season by about 20 points. While I do expect this one to be closer, I still think MSM is just to talented for Mt. Ayr to deal. Trey Baker will have another great game and I expect a good defensive performance from both sides.

Substate 8
Remsen St Mary’s vs Council Bluff St Alberts

50 - 49
- The 2nd hardest game to predict for me. I’m going to take my RSM in a tight one due to there injuries. I would take them by more if it was not the case. CBSA is great in slower paced games, but they don’t have a Spencer Schorg and that’ll be the difference.

I don’t really know if you can call any of these picks upsets as I can see 2-3 of them going either way, and a few where I don’t see anyway they can lose. Please feel free to comment on a game or critique my picks and give reasons as to why. I’d he happy to have a conversation.

Algona Garrigan vs South O’Brien

62-54
-Garrigan has a little size advantage with only 2 of there 7 rotation players being under 6’2, have lots of length to throw at loucher and this game should come down to the wire but garrigan is slightly better shooting team.

Substate 2
Lake Mills vs Turkey Valley

72-64
-Turkey valley is a tough experienced team and this game may be closer then some expect but i believe the talent of lake mills should win this comfortably done the stretch

Substate 3
Wapsie vs Ed-Co

62-48
-I don’t believe Ed-Co is all that great and they wouldn’t be here had Easton Valley not been injured in the district final and will not have an answer for Wapsie’s 6’7 big.

Substate 4
Springville vs Pekin

72-68
-I have a feeling that this game will be high scoring and a shoot out, could go either way if Pekin has a good shooting night again but I’m going with the more consistent team this season.

Substate 5
Montezuma vs Nodaway Valley

68-56
-Montezuma should win comfortably here pretty favorable road for them to return to state and they take advantage with Sherer and co.

Substate 6
West Fork vs Ankeny Christian

64-60
-first upset of the night if you want to call it that but I believe that this game could go either way and West Fork has a pretty great season losing some great players from last year and I believe it ends here and Ankeny Christian gets to state.

Substate 7
Martensdale St Mary’s vs Mt. Ayr

65-58
-Martensdale is a better team and won the regular season meeting handily this matchup will be closer though. If Mount Ayr shoots well and defends at a high level they could upset the blue devils here.

Substate 8
Remsen St Mary’s vs Council Bluff St Alberts

44-40
-The best team in the war eagle will win this game in a slug fest, Remsen is experienced and hungry and used to winning tough close games. Would not surprise me to see St. Albert pull this one out but Remsen is ready to try to win a state championship.

Reactions: Anonymous111
In Substate 7, I believe MSTM is better than Mt. Ayr, but Carson Elbert, who was the Blue Devils 2nd leading scorer at the time of his injury, has been out for the past few weeks. He returned in a limited role in the District Final. His health could be a factor in the rematch.

Your 1A state tournament teams:

Bishop Garrigan, Algona 68, South O'Brien, Paullina 48
Lake Mills 77, Turkey Valley, Jackson Junction 62
Martensdale-St. Marys 46, Mount Ayr 41
Montezuma 58, Nodaway Valley 35
Springville 72, Pekin 65
St. Mary's, Remsen 52, St. Albert, Council Bluffs 35
Wapsie Valley, Fairbank 55, Edgewood-Colesburg 38
West Fork, Sheffield 61, Ankeny Christian Academy 54

Some very good quality teams in this bracket along with some upset minded teams playing very well. Will be an interesting bracket.
Predicted Seeds:
1. Garrigan
2. Remsen St. Mary’s
3. Lake Mills
4. West Fork
5. Montezuma
6. Martensdale St. Mary’s
7. Springville
8. Wapsie Valley

Some very good quality teams in this bracket along with some upset minded teams playing very well. Will be an interesting bracket.
Predicted Seeds:
1. Garrigan
2. Remsen St. Mary’s
3. Lake Mills
4. West Fork
5. Montezuma
6. Martensdale St. Mary’s
7. Springville
8. Wapsie Valley
My state seeding projections:
1. Garrigan
2. Lake Mills
3. Montezuma
4. Remsen
5. West Fork
6. Martensdale
7. Springville
8. Wapsie

I think this is how the seeding will shake out, not necessarily the way I think it should. If montezuma was smart though they should try to avoid Lake Mills, Algona Garrigan, and MDSM. Those teams are the 3 worst matchups for them. Especially lake mills

Last edited:
My state seeding projections:
1. Garrigan
2. Lake Mills
3. Montezuma
4. Remsen
5. West Fork
6. Martensdale
7. Springville
8. Wapsie

I think this is how the seeding will shake out, not necessarily the way I think it should. If montezuma was smart though they should try to avoid Lake Mills, Algona Garrigan, and MDSM. Those teams are the 3 worst matchups for them. Especially lake mills
Remsen may have a case over montezuma

Remsen may have a case over montezuma
They definitely have a solid argument. I could see us or Lake Mills being the 1 seed. I think we deserve it though with the much tougher road we had an we won the conference outright that they were in. Great year for Top of Iowa. 3 boys team make it to state with two of them most likely getting the top 2 seeds, and then 4 girls team making it. Not to mention a state title in football from West Hancock and 1 state champion wrestler from there as well

Bishop Garrigan wins with relative ease tonight after a nice fight from SOB in the first half. Top of iowa this year is very good. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see two top of iowa teams play for a 1A title. Been saying bishop garrigan is going to beat SOB since the pairing came out and won by 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT