My 1A Predictions
North Linn
Martensdale St.Mary
Lake Mills
Grand View Christian

Championship Game
Grandview over North Linn

North Linn, MSTM, Monte, and GV

North Linn and GV with Grandview winning it all. I do think Monte has a punchers chance if they shoot the ball like the are capable of game throughout the tournament I still can't believe GV was the 3 seed.

GV is not as good as you guys think imo. They are very solid but not a lock to play in the chip. They will have a very tough game with lake mills or montezuma. (That is if they get past RSM, my estimate says they will but can’t count them out. Don’t think they can defend all the guys those two teams can put on the floor. Also don’t think NL is a lock for the chip, they had a cake walk in the playoffs and had caves not gotten injured would’ve lost in district final.

Reactions: mylameusername
GV is not as good as you guys think imo. They are very solid but not a lock to play in the chip. They will have a very tough game with lake mills or montezuma. (That is if they get past RSM, my estimate says they will but can’t count them out. Don’t think they can defend all the guys those two teams can put on the floor. Also don’t think NL is a lock for the chip, they had a cake walk in the playoffs and had caves not gotten injured would’ve lost in district final.

Good post Anonymous, would agree on the GV takes. Fortunate to come out on top of the St. Albert substate. Sounded like CBSA had several chances. Need to hold GV to 60 or under. Over 60, GV likely wins.

Along with Hawk2015, what happened to Caves? Had a great 2019 (Soph I think?) season, but then the football injury.

Doesn't sound like he was injured again, or re-injured anything. From a Gazette article -- in the game against NL, he fouled out with a game high 23 points and received a standing O from both school's fans.

Definitely agree regarding North Linn, this team while still being very good, is not nearly as dominant as the team was in years past. One of the most impressive games I’ve ever seen at the high school level was them just making an extremely good Treynor team look like junior high kids in the 2a semis last year. Don’t necessarily expect any of that again

Reactions: LAK26
Thanks everyone for the perspective. It's great to hear from people who have seen the teams in person or on video in decent games.

Doesn't sound like he was injured again, or re-injured anything. From a Gazette article -- in the game against NL, he fouled out with a game high 23 points and received a standing O from both school's fans.
Yes my apologies miss spoke in my message haha. He got fouled out.

Definitely agree regarding North Linn, this team while still being very good, is not nearly as dominant as the team was in years past. One of the most impressive games I’ve ever seen at the high school level was them just making an extremely good Treynor team look like junior high kids in the 2a semis last year. Don’t necessarily expect any of that again

I totally agree. I just think Hilmer is a great coach. Those kids last year outplayed a great Treynor team. Hilmer gets his kids to believe and they sure play hard for him.

South Winn is clearly outmatched but they were keeping it somewhat competitive until Kriener went out with foul trouble. 1A teams typically don't have the depth to lose their best player and we are seeing that on display. That is especially true against a team with the depth and athleticism of North Linn. A lot of teams struggle keeping up playing against their pace and pressure.

South Winn is clearly outmatched but they were keeping it somewhat competitive until Kriener went out with foul trouble. 1A teams typically don't have the depth to lose their best player and we are seeing that on display. That is especially true against a team with the depth and athleticism of North Linn. A lot of teams struggle keeping up playing against their pace and pressure.
I agree somewhat with what your saying but clearly to me South Winn is not a top 8 team you may disagree with me which is fine but they have starters that literally can’t dribble without looking at the ball. It’s bad.

I agree somewhat with what your saying but clearly to me South Winn is not a top 8 team you may disagree with me which is fine but they have starters that literally can’t dribble without looking at the ball. It’s bad.
You may be right. This is the first 1A basketball I have watched this year. There are probably better teams out there that didn't make it. That said, I am not sure the actual best 8 teams in the state ever make it down there. With so many teams and so much territory to cover there will always be a "better" team that gets left out.

Reactions: privateer13
You may be right. This is the first 1A basketball I have watched this year. There are probably better teams out there that didn't make it. That said, I am not sure the actual best 8 teams in the state ever make it down there. With so many teams and so much territory to cover there will always be a "better" team that gets left out.

100%. Girls do it better though. top 8 teams (by their own rankings, which boys don't do) have their own region automatically. Boys union has been better about splitting top ranked teams as of late but there's still substate finals that should have been avoided. Look @ OABCIG vs BH in substate this year for example.

I didn't know teams got chosen to go to State. South Winn has been wearing away uniforms every round but the first game. I thought the State did everything they could to get multiple Tri Rivers teams in. Top 4 teams went to different sub-states.

100%. Girls do it better though. top 8 teams (by their own rankings, which boys don't do) have their own region automatically. Boys union has been better about splitting top ranked teams as of late but there's still substate finals that should have been avoided. Look @ OABCIG vs BH in substate this year for example.
Exactly what I’m saying. Girls union does just about everything better then the guys. Zero effort by them unless two undefeated teams are less then an hour away chances are you’ll be paired up with whoever is closest to you because they don’t care. Girls union tries to get the best teams down at state.

100%. Girls do it better though. top 8 teams (by their own rankings, which boys don't do)

Yeah, and the minute the IHSAA does its own rankings, the keyboard warriors will be up in arms claiming preferential treatment for some and others getting screwed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's probably more likely that non-FB coaches will look at football, and start pushing for RPI-like calculations in their own sports order to rank and seed teams.

Yeah, and the minute the IHSAA does its own rankings, the keyboard warriors will be up in arms claiming preferential treatment for some and others getting screwed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's probably more likely that non-FB coaches will look at football, and start pushing for RPI-like calculations in their own sports order to rank and seed teams.

Nothing wrong with the way seeding goes now. Coaches that are involved do the seeding. You're probably right about rankings, but no change is ever "good" in everyone's eyes until it's proven to work.

I don't usually care about the "8 best teams didn't make it" arguments. The teams that made it, took care of business. Especially in sports like basketball, teams can get hot and beat teams they're not supposed to.

Guess I should've bought a lottery ticket too. Entertaining first day for class 1A. Except for the stall ball in the last 4 minutes or so of the 2 close games.

Any word on why Grand view’s coach missed the game? The tv announcers said the team was coached by its assistants.

Any thoughts on the Semis? I don't know what to make of GV--Montezuma. I know when Monte gets hot they are awfully hard to stop. GV has so many weapons. It could be a fun game.

I follow MSTM very closely. Their kids play hard and truly never give up. I think they have a shot against NL, if they shoot the ball well from outside and Baker can have another big game. NL obviously has the State Tournament experience.

Any thoughts on the Semis? I don't know what to make of GV--Montezuma. I know when Monte gets hot they are awfully hard to stop. GV has so many weapons. It could be a fun game.

I follow MSTM very closely. Their kids play hard and truly never give up. I think they have a shot against NL, if they shoot the ball well from outside and Baker can have another big game. NL obviously has the State Tournament experience.
Tough saying in all honesty. I felt as though lake mills was better then montezuma played pretty bad and montezuma shot well and still took them to overtime. If montezuma shoots well they won’t have a problem with gvc. Grand views free throw shooting is a real problem that good team will take advantage of. North linn is the obvious favorite against MSTM but like you said they are gritty and never give up so that should be a fun one as well.

Hammonds is as good as anyone in 1A. He has played against tough teams all year. I don't think he is worried about anyone from Montezuma stopping him. The big guy for GVC has to do what he has done all year and protect the paint. I have GVC for 6.

Hammonds is as good as anyone in 1A. He has played against tough teams all year. I don't think he is worried about anyone from Montezuma stopping him. The big guy for GVC has to do what he has done all year and protect the paint. I have GVC for 6.
Not necessarily disagreeing. GVC has better top end talent. There free throw shooting is awful though and I think a team like montezuma will capitalize on that, Remsen simply didn’t have the guys who could put the ball in the hoop like montezuma. Should be a very fun game though!

These are hard games to pick but I will take North Linn and Montezuma in what I think will both be close games. We know what North Linn does and they do it very well. This may not be the best team they have had in Des Moines but it is still hard to pick against them. The other game may come down to whether Montezuma can get Tobiloba into foul trouble or not. He is such a force on the defensive end! Trey Shearer has no fear though and will go at him. I think Shearer will find a way to will his team to the win. Should be fun games.

Man! Grandview is unbelievably lazy on D!

Montezuma is doing a great job at taking it at them.
It’s like the tell the kid to stand under the hoop and not stray more than 3 feet ever. What would a 5-out offense do to that defense

Who does everyone have in what should be a great game today? North Linn's quality cannot be denied but I like the swagger Montezuma is playing with right now. They willed themselves to two wins in Des Moines already and I will pick them to get a third.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT