ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Tournament

NWIAorBUST

Freshman
Aug 30, 2019
My picks, who are yours?

#4 Montezuma (23-2) vs. #5 Martensdale-St. Marys (23-3)
- Zuma 55 - 63 MSTM
- Martensdale's size proves to be a problem for Montezuma
- Montezuma has the superior guard play and if get hot from 3 could take over the game

#1 Lake Mills (23-2) vs. #8 Wapsie Valley, Fairbank (18-7)
- LM 68 - 54 WV
- Interesting matchup here with WV's 7 losses all being under 10 points to solid teams
- LM has too many dogs for WV to match up with
- The Helming v Rosengarten matchup will be fun to watch

#2 Bishop Garrigan, Algona (22-2) vs. #7 Springville (20-5)
- BG 75 - 57 Sville
- No way can Springville match up with Garrigan's size
- Springville will have to shoot the daylights out of the ball to keep it close

#3 St. Mary’s, Remsen (22-3) vs. #6 West Fork, Sheffield (23-2)
- RSM 48 - 43 WF
- Great matchup between these two teams personnel wise
- RSM's stifling defense wont allow the guards from WF too many open looks @ 3

#4-Montezuma vs. #5-MTSM
-MTSM 64-56
-size and lack of montezuma bench wears them out
-Montezuma can keep it close if they are on fire

#1-Lake Mills vs. #8-Wapsie Valley
Lake Mills 68-60
-Lake Mills too talented for the 7 loss warriors.
-if lake mills doesn’t shoot well wapsie has a chance

#2-Algona Garrigan vs #7-springville
Garrigan 74-58
-size too much and will get every rebound over the undersized Orioles.

#3-Remsen vs. #6-West Fork
-Remsen 52-46
-Remsen very good defensively and should hold west fork guards at bay here.

Reactions: Anonymous111
#1 Lake Mills vs #8 WV
71- 62
- lake mills will have a tough time with WV athleticism, but they are the better team

#2 Garrigan vs #7 Springville
75-65
- I think this game will be closer then most, but garrigan has the best offense in state and springville has not chance of stopping it

#3 RSM vs West fork
51-49
- Top of iowa has been very good this year. Remsen is to sound defensively though. However if Remsen is missing there two other players, I will take west fork by the opposite score

#4 Montezuma vs #5 Martensdale
65-66
- only game I have a lower seed winning. Martensdale is on par talent wise with the top two teams. Size will be to much for monte to handle in the end

#1 Lake Mills vs #8 WV
71- 62
- lake mills will have a tough time with WV athleticism, but they are the better team

75-65
- I think this game will be closer then most, but garrigan has the best offense in state and springville has not chance of stopping it

#3 RSM vs West fork
51-49
- Top of iowa has been very good this year. Remsen is to sound defensively though. However if Remsen is missing there two other players, I will take west fork by the opposite score

65-66
- only game I have a lower seed winning. Martensdale is on par talent wise with the top two teams. Size will be to much for monte to handle in the end

Harpenau did play in Substate - Bunkers is out from what I understand.

Reactions: LetThePeacockFly
Springville’s only chance is if they can bother Garrigan with their aggressive press. Shooting well is also a must for them, but anytime winkle touches the ball within 6 feet of the hoop it’s gonna be an automatic bucket

Lake Mills 58 Wapsie Valley 50--I think WV will hang around and keep it interesting but LM just is to talented.

Algona Garrigan 68 Springville 50--A really tough draw for Springville. AG learns from their first round loss last year and plays with intensity and focus from the get go.

RSM 49 West Fork 38--RSM obviously has a veteran unit and is played a great schedule. WF just can't get enough easy baskets to keep it close.

MSTM 58 Montezuma 55--Really intriguing game. MSTM will need the game to be called fairly loose. Isaac Gavin can get in to foul trouble because of his size and length. Monte has an advantage in having played three games at the Well a year ago. I could see this game play out in any number of ways.

#1 Lake Mills vs #8 WV
71- 62

75-65

#3 RSM vs West fork
51-49

65-66
The freshman guard from Remsen has been out since they beat West Sioux I believe. He had surgery on his finger and will not play. Not sure on Harpenau though and that would be a huge loss. He played in substate but tweaked his ankle again.

Harpenau did play in Substate - Bunkers is out from what I understand.
I saw that too. Kinda weird that his teammates told me that morning that he wasn't playing. Must have felt better game time! Good to see tho

I saw that too. Kinda weird that his teammates told me that morning that he wasn't playing. Must have felt better game time! Good to see tho
When you wrap up an ankle and take some pain medication you can play on sprained ankles. Obviously wouldn’t have been even close to 100% though. So if he retweaked it I wonder if he’ll be playing against West Fork

When you wrap up an ankle and take some pain medication you can play on sprained ankles. Obviously wouldn’t have been even close to 100% though. So if he retweaked it I wonder if he’ll be playing against West Fork
Well yeah. Must have been a slight sprain. Wonder what kinda factor he is at state

I know little of the team but I would guess that Gavins only shot attempt for Martensdale in the second half being a 3 pointer wasn’t in the game plan. No touches hardly at all.

Trey Shrearer is a blast to watch! Montezuma shot extremely well while Martensdale couldn’t hit water in a barrel. Will make a great semi final round against lake mills

I know little of the team but I would guess that Gavins only shot attempt for Martensdale in the second half being a 3 pointer wasn’t in the game plan. No touches hardly at all.

He's by no means dominant. Montezuma made some nice adjustments.

Trey Shrearer is a blast to watch! Montezuma shot extremely well while Martensdale couldn’t hit water in a barrel. Will make a great semi final round against lake mills

Lake Mills has to get there first. 4th quarter should be a good one.

For those of us at work and not able to stream, what were some of the officiating struggles.

I think the officiating has been pretty good overall so far. Seemed like some iffy charge calls in BG/Springville. But they were pretty consistent in rewarding the defense. Such a hard call to make at full speed anyway. Again, overall officiating to this point has been what you hope for in a state tournament IMO.

Reactions: mylameusername
I am obviously biased towards Garrigan, but they called basically everything a charge which is a huge disadvantage for the bigger team. We played overall pretty bad. Point guard struggled and we hadn’t played a team with that kinda press wall year. Credit to them on playing us extremely well. They rely a little to much on 3s though and need to be more patient. Montezuma is scary good. Will have a tough test next game because Wapsie actually has guards athletic enough to keep up with Shrearer (kinda) and definitely Watts. I’ll take monte by 8 in that one though

My picks, who are yours?

#4 Montezuma (23-2) vs. #5 Martensdale-St. Marys (23-3)
- Zuma 55 - 63 MSTM
- Martensdale's size proves to be a problem for Montezuma
- Montezuma has the superior guard play and if get hot from 3 could take over the game

#1 Lake Mills (23-2) vs. #8 Wapsie Valley, Fairbank (18-7)
- LM 68 - 54 WV
- Interesting matchup here with WV's 7 losses all being under 10 points to solid teams
- LM has too many dogs for WV to match up with
- The Helming v Rosengarten matchup will be fun to watch

#2 Bishop Garrigan, Algona (22-2) vs. #7 Springville (20-5)
- BG 75 - 57 Sville
- No way can Springville match up with Garrigan's size
- Springville will have to shoot the daylights out of the ball to keep it close

#3 St. Mary’s, Remsen (22-3) vs. #6 West Fork, Sheffield (23-2)
- RSM 48 - 43 WF
- Great matchup between these two teams personnel wise
- RSM's stifling defense wont allow the guards from WF too many open looks @ 3

I know nothing.

Reactions: Case I H
I have not watched any 1A this year so was pleasantly surprised by the level of play today. This is one of the best 1A fields top to bottom I have seen in recent years. Made for some great games.

I thought the games were officiated very well. It was physical and they let them play which is how it should be at this point. I would much rather have that than whistles every possession. Charge calls have been questionable though, but that will always be the case.

The charge along baseline on Winkel (his 4th foul I believe) in the 3rd quarter was not a good call. Felt for the kid on that one.

I have not watched any 1A this year so was pleasantly surprised by the level of play today. This is one of the best 1A fields top to bottom I have seen in recent years. Made for some great games.

I thought the games were officiated very well. It was physical and they let them play which is how it should be at this point. I would much rather have that than whistles every possession. Charge calls have been questionable though, but that will always be the case.

I'd rather they call fouls by the rulebook, personally. I'll watch football or wrestling if I want to see excessive contact. But the way kids are coached now, all of the stars and half the bench would be in foul trouble early in the game. It is what it is. At least the officiating seems pretty consistent and fair. That's all you can really ask for.

I'd rather they call fouls by the rulebook, personally. I'll watch football or wrestling if I want to see excessive contact. But the way kids are coached now, all of the stars and half the bench would be in foul trouble early in the game. It is what it is. At least the officiating seems pretty consistent and fair. That's all you can really ask for.
I agree with your premise, but I’d rather watch good offense then rewarding defenses for taking charges 1 foot from the basket. The Lake Mills v Wapsir refs routinely awarded the offensive player

Great start to the tournament. I told you guys that Springville was better then you were giving them credit for. Granted bishop played bad. Monte shocked me with there speed and shooting. So confused though as to how they can lose to PCM who’s not good at all and kill Martensdale. They live and die by the 3 and right now they are thriving. Lake Mills looked pretty awful today. They are much better though then they showed. Just couldn’t hit anything from outside which seems to be a common denominator for the teams that lost except springville. Wapsie was a great team tho with some crazy good athletes. My predictions for the next game

Monte - 54 WV - 60
- I always go with the team that doesn’t live and die by the three. But if monte gets hot WV has no shot. Wapsie will have the athletes to guard there perimeter players unlike the other teams in the field do. Overall not a good matchup for Monte

Bishop Garrigan - 58 West Fork - 54
- was actually really impressed today with West Fork. Beat a team who most thought were better. Excellent junior class and are coached extremely well. Bishop didn’t look the best today but I’ve seen them play two times and they match up extremely well with west fork. Garrigan seems to be a matchup team. If they matchup with Monte in the title I would take Monte but if they get wapsie I’ll take AG. Need to keep big man out foul trouble. Kid is a matchup nightmare. Him, Rosengarten, Shrearer and Washington are the best players on each of the remaining teams so keep an eye on them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT