ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Matchups

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
#1 - Gladbrook-Reinbeck (25-0) vs. #8 - Nodaway Valley (19-6)
#4 - Belle Plaine (24-1) vs. #5 - Earlham (23-2)
#2 - Danville (25-0) vs. #7 - West Hancock, Britt (22-4)
#3 - Maple Valley-Anthon-Oto (24-1) vs. #6 - South O'Brien, Paullina (22-3)

7 of 8 correct... Tried to go with DM GV in an upset over Earlham, but that wasn't even close.

Predictions:
GR
Earlham
West Hancock
South O'Brien

Originally posted by hawkeye ball:
Gonna mix it up a bit...

Nodaway Valley
Earlham
Danville
Maple Valley
If Nodaway wins I would be astounded. That would be an epic upset.

They are no stranger to the tournament, but it might be just too big of a test for them. Should be a fun tournament!

Hey Astounded, why would that be an epic upset? Never mind my bad I thought you were talking about the substate game. Yes if NV being the # 8 could take out the # 1 that would be an epic upset.

This post was edited on 3/1 10:40 AM by Drakefan

Looking at the draw, I can see the #1 and #2 seeds settling this one in the end. I know I'm stuck down here in Southeast Iowa but Danville seems to have some big time momentum with something to prove. Sigourney didn't know what hit them last night.

Originally posted by wpdrunk:

Looking at the draw, I can see the #1 and #2 seeds settling this one in the end. I know I'm stuck down here in Southeast Iowa but Danville seems to have some big time momentum with something to prove. Sigourney didn't know what hit them last night.
Can you give some insight on the Sig game. Sig is not a bad team. Not great, but not bad. Was it the pace of the game? Sig not able to rise to the occasion jittery, nerves? I know Danville is very good and used to being in those types of atmospheres. I guess I just thought it would be a 10-15 point margin. Did the kid from Sig get hurt early?

The game was over by the time the young man was injured. Danville came out and hit Sig right between the eyes with relentless Defense. I would like to know if anyone knows how the injured player is? It was very scary to see him walk off the court and collapse right before the bench.

The way I saw it. Danville was feeding Hoelzen the ball consecutively against the number 25 kid that was playing with 4 fouls most of the game. Hoelzen was scoring at will and number 35 came over to help and rest was history. I think 35 got whistled for the foul and unfortunately got the worse end of it. Pretty sure Danville was up by 30 in the 3rd when that happened.

I know Danville and Belle Plaine are on different sides of the brackets but I found some regular season scores interesting as follows:

Belle Plaine 68 Sigourney 56
Belle Plaine 61 Sigourney 55

Danville 78 Sigourney 29
Danville 61 Sigourney 29 (2013 Sub State)
This post was edited on 3/2 11:09 AM by mepobdog

Originally posted by mepobdog:

I know Danville and Belle Plaine are on different sides of the brackets but I found some regular season scores interesting as follows:

Belle Plaine 68 Sigourney 56
Belle Plaine 61 Sigourney 55

Danville 78 Sigourney 29
Danville 61 Sigourney 29 (2013 Sub State)
This post was edited on 3/2 11:09 AM by mepobdog
You can play that game till your head hurts
Danville 66-LT 62
Marquette 54 - LT 48
BP 79-Marquette 69

i believe Danville hammered Van Buren by a similar margin once this year as well. The other games much closer. Like I said that can drive you crazy. Knowing a few people from BP. I doubt if they are claiming they are better than Danville or anyone else at a State. It's their first trip. First conference championship in 40 years. First winning season since 09'. 2nd in 10 years. 10-12 last year. My guess is they feel anything that happens in Des Moines is frosting on the cake. I've seen them a couple times. They may not win, but they will play hard and don't quit. Helluva season no matter what happens in Des Moines.

This post was edited on 3/2 7:01 PM by Saywhat2

I get what your getting at here, and that is a huge difference, but often conference teams that know each other so well will play tighter games than non conference foes who may see each other once every few years.

I'll say a final of G-R vs. Danville with G-R's size and being more tested pull it out in the end.

Belle Plaine is a team that tends to play to the level of their competition. No offense to Marquette Catholic but Belle Plaine had the way more talent and should have won that game by at least 20 points on Saturday. I'm not sure why Coach Northrop doesn't press teams more with the athleticism that Belle Plaine possesses. To me, they are team full of athletes that can keep the intensity high for 32 minutes and then a sharpshooter in DeMeulenaere.

I do not know a lot about Earlham, but I know that Belle Plaine will not give up and will battle until the final whistle. If they're going to win then they're going to need Jacobi and Squiers to stay out of foul trouble and get anywhere from 15-20 points apiece. If BDM can get hot like he did against Marquette then look out because Belle Plaine could be dangerous. I believe they can beat anyone on any given night but at the same time they can lose on any given night. It all depends on which team shows up.

Best of luck to all teams competing in Class 1A.

This post was edited on 3/3 9:14 AM by SICL Cares

GR-Goya take a 1 seed
Earlham-Closest to Central Iowa
Danville., prove they are better than the last few years
SOB-how do you pick against those letters

Earlham
Danville

Danville wins it all

Could northeastern basketball be catching up to northwestern? I could see AP, and GR winning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT