ADVERTISEMENT

1A Contenders

Hawk2015

Freshman
Jan 8, 2015
Looks like the same teams again this year except I don’t think Monte will be back in the hunt though…they lost quite a bit. Also seems like New London is struggling a little even though they are winning. Anyone have any info on AHSTWLMNOP? Remsen looks pretty good again and I wouldn’t be surprised to see CB St A in the mix too. GV and NL look like they are running up the scores on weak teams. I think GV will play some tough games but NL will win every game by a thousand and then I think they will get knocked out again at state. Any thoughts or predictions?

2nd time trying to post this.
Yep, a lot of familiar names seen really strong in 1a again.
Hats off to Remsen and North Linn for continually putting together quality squads year after year. It is very impressive.

At this point, I could see Remsen, North Linn, Gvc, Monte likely to make state.

Interested to hear more about Easton Valley and the ahstw teams too.

CBSA should've taken out Gvc in substate last year. I thought they had a 7 footer coming in. Memory might be bad but thought they lost a bit too though.

With Monte, even though they lost a lot, they still have the younger Schearer and Burgess so it's hard to rule them out.

AHSTW should be tough. Dropped to 1A this year. Also they return a lot of production from a squad that was something like 17-5 last year.

AHSTW should be tough. Dropped to 1A this year. Also they return a lot of production from a squad that was something like 17-5 last year.
Just saw in the schedules that GVC will play AHSTW towards the end of the regular season. Can AHSTW match up with GVC height and athleticism? GVC is huge…7’, 6’5’ and also a 6’8” freshman according to their roster.

BC Moore has AHSTW at #1 in class 1A as of now. Has them as 27.31 point favorite over GVC as of now. It's still early though. Game is January 31st. Things should be a lot clearer by then.

BC Moore has AHSTW at #1 in class 1A as of now. Has them as 27.31 point favorite over GVC as of now. It's still early though. Game is January 31st. Things should be a lot clearer by then.
I saw with the updated BB Rankings that it’s around 11 points now. AHSTW has a couple of games coming up against CB St A and Treynor that should be better opponents for them.

Reactions: LAK26
I realize they are 2A, but Treynor has an interesting or varied schedule. 6-0 currently. Plays some tougher 1A schools (AHSTW twice, GVC, CBSA), then some bigger schools like SC Heelan, CB Jefferson.

Gladbrook-Reinbeck is undefeated but the schedule may not be that strong. Anyone with insights on them? Didn't know if the rebels were back after graduating Joe Smoldt from a few years ago.

I realize they are 2A, but Treynor has an interesting or varied schedule. 6-0 currently. Plays some tougher 1A schools (AHSTW twice, GVC, CBSA), then some bigger schools like SC Heelan, CB Jefferson.

Gladbrook-Reinbeck is undefeated but the schedule may not be that strong. Anyone with insights on them? Didn't know if the rebels were back after graduating Joe Smoldt from a few years ago.
I don’t think Treynor is as good as they were a couple of years ago but I may be wrong. Anyone know how good they are this year? I know they have a great tradition and and a very good coach though.

GR has one of the top 1A PG's in Kiburis. They are a good 3 point shooting team. The post Anders, gets good position and can step out and shoot. 4 players avg in double figures, with Kiburis at 22.9 per. They may run into trouble if they have an off shooting night or vs a good rebounding team. Kiburis is the type of PG that could carry a team through a rough shooting night by slashing to the basket and getting to the foul line (leads the state in attempts and makes at the line). This is the same team that was one game away from a trip to state last season. They will go a bit deeper this season with a freshman and a transfer contributing.

Reactions: mylameusername
GR has one of the top 1A PG's in Kiburis. They are a good 3 point shooting team. The post Anders, gets good position and can step out and shoot. 4 players avg in double figures, with Kiburis at 22.9 per. They may run into trouble if they have an off shooting night or vs a good rebounding team. Kiburis is the type of PG that could carry a team through a rough shooting night by slashing to the basket and getting to the foul line (leads the state in attempts and makes at the line). This is the same team that was one game away from a trip to state last season. They will go a bit deeper this season with a freshman and a transfer contributing.
Thank you for the insights hawkeyetillidie!

T
Transfer?

Anyone have any info on the NL loss to Edge-Cole?
From the CR Gazette:

Ed-Co's Vikings lost by three points last season at North Linn and by 10 at home. During the incredible Tri-Rivers Conference run the Lynx have been on, the incredible overall run the Lynx have been on, that said something.

Of course, not as much as Tuesday night ended up saying.

Ed-Co achieved the previously unachievable, knocking off Class 1A's top-ranked team, 52-47, at Edgewood. The Vikings outscored the Lynx in the second quarter, 18-3, to build a 10-point halftime lead, saw North Linn come back to tie with three minutes left but won those final three minutes and the game.

"We understood that it was a huge win," said Ed-Co Coach Justin Olind. "Not so much just the chance to win a conference title or just the basketball part of it. But what really hit home was how big it was within the community. Today with all the outreaching of everybody, how excited they were for the kids and the team and things like that. That's the part that has hit me the most.

"This is kind of what our kids expected to do. We knew we could match them and play a high level of game. Play with them and give ourselves a chance to win."

North Linn saw a 107-game regular-season win streak end. It hadn't lost to a TRC opponent since Alburnett in a 2016 district game, hadn't lost to a Tri-Rivers opponent in the regular season since 2014.

The Lynx are 162-7 since the 2015-16 season, with four of those losses coming at the state tournament. North Linn has been a state qualifier five years in a row, been in a championship game four straight years.

"This can't be the pinnacle of our season," Olind said. "It's always going to be a huge feather when you look back at the end. It's going to be pretty cool to see of all the teams that tried, these guys were the ones who succeeded and did it. Now it's remember why we were able to. We've got to get better each week."

Why they were able to win was a superb defensive effort that held North Linn to 29.8-percent shooting. Ed-Co convincingly won the board battle, 35-21, not giving its opponent many, if any, second looks.

It played like the veteran team it is. Ed-Co has 13 players on its varsity roster, and all 13 are seniors.

It has guys who can handle the basketball, guys who can shoot it, guys who can play on the interior. Forward Mason Ashline leads the team with a 13.9 scoring average, followed closely by guard Korey Putz (12.7) and forward Jack Wiskus (11.3).

Guard Konner Putz (Korey's twin brother) and forward Weston Rowcliffe have been the other starters. Ed-Co also owns high-quality wins over MFL/Mar-Mac and Springville, so this is a very good team.

Olind led the Vikings to the 1A state tournament in 2018.

"It's a (senior) class that has stuck together the whole way," he said. "We started out with 15, we lost one to moving away, one that (basketball) just wasn't his thing. But the other 13 have just stuck with the program for four years. They just love to play basketball together. It's crazy how much they want to get together and play all the time.

"During the summer, I live in Manchester, near Central Park, and they have a blacktop court. They'll call or be banging on my door wanting to come out there and play blacktop ball with them ... I just get a different vibe from this team, on how much they love to play the game together and play with each other and for each other. As long as we continue to defend the way we are and play for the other guy, this team is capable of winning a lot of basketball games."

Olind also wanted it pointed out how much he respects North Linn and its plethora of achievements. He feels it has raised the overall quality of basketball in the Tri-Rivers Conference.

TRC schools Springville and Easton Valley also have been state tournament qualifiers in very recent seasons.

"The reason the Tri-Rivers Conference has elevated, and I feel it has elevated over the last four or five years, to one of the toughest conferences in the state to where night in and night out you've got to bring it ... I really feel how it's because North Linn has really upped the expectations of the conference and really made you raise your game," Olind said. "That's a tribute to them and what they've done for the conference."

According to the Box Score, NL started and played their usual starters.

I believe so. Not sure how tough the Tri Rivers is? That's the fun part of this time of year. The GR vs Alburnett matchup tonight will be a good measuring stick.
Appeared GR got the better of Alburnet last night. AHSTW could be a team to watch as they played GVC very well.

AHSTW is definitely a team to watch out for, and they did play GVC tough/close later in the season.

Realize site are determined as best they can be. Would've been nice to have North Mahaska - Lynnville Sully play their substate minutes away from 3A schools like Grinnell, Osky, Pella. Instead each travels an hour plus to Chariton.

Surprised to see Rock Valley beat Boyden Hull in 2A. With Te Slaa, I was assuming Boyden Hull would make it. So is Western the favorite?

A score that reads like a shot clock would've been nice is Remsen 29 South O'Brien 23. Wonder if it was slow down or stalling, or just a case of great defenses. South O'Brien usually has a lock down zone. If both had strong d's that night, could be a large part of it.

GR v Alburnett ended up being a lot closer than it should have been. Credit to Alburnett for hitting some big 3s and causing some turnovers to get back into it. Kind of an off shooting night for GR as they avg 6.5 3s a game, only hit one last night. Rebounding won GR the game.

Final sites seem a little jacked up this year. GR v Bellevue will play in Tiffin. 1:45 for Bellevue, 1:25 for GR

AHSTW is definitely a team to watch out for, and they did play GVC tough/close later in the season.

Realize site are determined as best they can be. Would've been nice to have North Mahaska - Lynnville Sully play their substate minutes away from 3A schools like Grinnell, Osky, Pella. Instead each travels an hour plus to Chariton.

Surprised to see Rock Valley beat Boyden Hull in 2A. With Te Slaa, I was assuming Boyden Hull would make it. So is Western the favorite?

A score that reads like a shot clock would've been nice is Remsen 29 South O'Brien 23. Wonder if it was slow down or stalling, or just a case of great defenses. South O'Brien usually has a lock down zone. If both had strong d's that night, could be a large part of it.
South O played a triangle and 2 most of the night which is very beneficial when you have a 6'7 rim protector and rebounder to work the bottom half of that. Neither team is a very fast moving offensive team in the first place but South O definitely looked to take the air out and limit RSM as much as possible. Score isn't pretty but the game didn't lack excitement. RSM takes care of the ball incredibly well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT