ADVERTISEMENT

Your summer Class 1A champion prediction is.......

South Winn. Carson Lensing (Iowa St commit) and Anthony Emanual leading the way.

I think WB may be the cream of the D5 crop in 1A, but have a long way to go before we start talking about them as title contenders. A long way. You don't lose linemen like WB did and then expect to win a title straight away. Then again, its been done by teams for years (Attrition to tradition to championship) so we will see. Finnegan will anchor the line. Strength Coach Phil Johnson's work with the kids will really shine this year I feel.

Regina is my prediction until they lose a playoff game. That should be everyone's prediction. They lost a bunch of great seniors. However, they fresh and soph classes are LOADED. And I mean LOADED. Not to mention guys like Stenger, Brown, etc return. Lil Brinkman will take over for big Phil Arendt. The kid is a a beast.

I think Dike may be in the hunt, but they are not a very clean football team on the field. So I have no sympathy for them either way. West Lyon will always be in the argument, but they lost a boatload over the past 2 seasons. South Winn may be a darkhorse if it can replace the 3500 yards of offense it lost (Hagaman and Romnes were hammers)

WBBear the general talk is that this is the year that Regina goes down. I however am closer to your line of thinking, they have a good mix of talent coming back, Brinkman is a beast and was voted by opposing coaches as their best lineman. My memory may be failing me but didn't the incoming junior class at WB beat Regina as Freshmen or junior high or both?

WBBear the general talk is that this is the year that Regina goes down. I however am closer to your line of thinking, they have a good mix of talent coming back, Brinkman is a beast and was voted by opposing coaches as their best lineman. My memory may be failing me but didn't the incoming junior class at WB beat Regina as Freshmen or junior high or both?

This should be an interesting and exciting year in 1A. The last couple years Regina was a heavy favorite and everyone else was looking for the upset, but this year will be a little different. I agree, Regina is the odds on favorite, but the gap may not be as big this year.

Top Teams (No order)

Regina
West Branch
South Winn
West Lyon
Dike
Hinton
St. Edmond
Western Christian

Depends on who you talked to last year. There was a team or two who appeared pretty confident about their potential match up with Regina. Just didn't quite get there.

CID; I thought the Bears were better last year than the 2012/13 team that needed a 2 point conversion on the last play of the game that would have put it into OT.
& the chips didn't fall for the Bears last year to get their chance at the Regals with what IMO was an even better Bear squad. Excited for the football season.

Cy you just keep supporting the school you went to. The Bears missed an opportunity last year that I was told they were built for. They should be tough as nails again this year.

Was anyone at the West Branch vs DNH game? It was a very lopsided game. It's the only game I saw of either team, but with all the hype West Branch had on this message board, I expected to see a power house West Branch team demolish a DNH team with 2 losses. I did not, I saw a team get beat up in their hallowed home field. What I got out of it was that the West Branch district is one of the weakest in 1A (no quarter-finalists) and if you don't play anyone in non district games you don't give yourself a shot. Looking at their district it is weaker this year then it was last. I'm sure they will be 9-0 this year, but what makes this year any different then last? I'm guessing they will go in over confident and get beat in the 2nd round again.

My Top 5 & Why
1. Iowa City Regina - Tradition
2. Dike New Hartford - Tradition & Return Top Passer, Rusher, and Receiver from last year.
3. Pella Christian - Multiple Returning Starters including QB that passed for 2100 & rushed for over 500.
4. Western Christian - Solid offensive numbers returning and I feel I have to pick 1 team from NW.
5. Tie between Madrid & West Branch - Both have solid rushing attacks returning.

By no means am I an expert, but spend a little time on iowa quick stats and you can get a feel for what each team has returning. I love 1A football, ready for another exciting year.

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
Was anyone at the West Branch vs DNH game? It was a very lopsided game. It's the only game I saw of either team, but with all the hype West Branch had on this message board, I expected to see a power house West Branch team demolish a DNH team with 2 losses. I did not, I saw a team get beat up in their hallowed home field. What I got out of it was that the West Branch district is one of the weakest in 1A (no quarter-finalists) and if you don't play anyone in non district games you don't give yourself a shot. Looking at their district it is weaker this year then it was last. I'm sure they will be 9-0 this year, but what makes this year any different then last? I'm guessing they will go in over confident and get beat in the 2nd round again.

My Top 5 & Why
2. Dike New Hartford - Tradition & Return Top Passer, Rusher, and Receiver from last year.
3. Pella Christian - Multiple Returning Starters including QB that passed for 2100 & rushed for over 500.
4. Western Christian - Solid offensive numbers returning and I feel I have to pick 1 team from NW.
5. Tie between Madrid & West Branch - Both have solid rushing attacks returning.

By no means am I an expert, but spend a little time on iowa quick stats and you can get a feel for what each team has returning. I love 1A football, ready for another exciting year.

I do not think OVERconfidence had anything to do with it. The Bears were beaten by a better team on that night. I would love to have another crack at the Wolverines. WB will definitely be more prepared and ready for it. Lisbon is the 1st game and thats all that really matters for now. IowaBeastMode is an eerily convenient name. I like it.

My Top 5 & Why

I was at that game too. DNH was cocky, dirty, and their coaches didn't care. The Wolves were the better team that night by far. If WB and DNH meet up in '15 I think it will be a much closer game and would probably be at Dike's field as I think they win their district. WB will dominate its district too.

#1 Regina: until they lose
#2 Madrid: Santi Claus is coming
#3 West Branch: return Lenoch and adding Koenig will help
#4 Dike-NH: Johnson is verygood

Cant rank any NW teams because none of them will even be in the argument for best team. I know my Eagles will be very average at best this year. Graduation has killed us!

I was at that game too. DNH was cocky, dirty, and their coaches didn't care. The Wolves were the better team that night by far. If WB and DNH meet up in '15 I think it will be a much closer game and would probably be at Dike's field as I think they win their district. WB will dominate its district too.

#1 Regina: until they lose
#2 Madrid: Santi Claus is coming
#3 West Branch: return Lenoch and adding Koenig will help
#4 Dike-NH: Johnson is verygood

Cant rank any NW teams because none of them will even be in the argument for best team. I know my Eagles will be very average at best this year. Graduation has killed us!
I knew sooner then later someone would mention Koenig, he was a qb of a 0-9 team last year. Just because you are fast and can long jump like a beast does not mean you know how to win in football. Not sure why I have it out for West Branch, just annoyed with all the hype on this board. Do something this century before talk about what a great program you have. Again, how is your schedule, how is your district, you fought and fought to get away from Regina, but when it's all said and done, Regina made you better. Who's making you better now? West Burlington? West Liberty? Lisbon? are you serious?????

I am thinking that Koenig will benefit from having a better supporting cast and better coaching this year, broke some pretty old track records at a school that has had some pretty solid track athletes.

I am thinking that Koenig will benefit from having a better supporting cast and better coaching this year, broke some pretty old track records at a school that has had some pretty solid track athletes.
Cid- Koenig will be the difference maker this year, and will help the Bears in a lot of the game. A nice addition to a top notch team. Bears need to become more diversified on Offense.
I have heard Regina has shown some sets in games that are well in hand just so teams have to prepare for a lot of things that they may or may not run. That is brilliant.. Have you seen this first hand?

You could put the leading returning girls bb scorer at qb and go 9-0 by handing it off to Lenoch in that district. He will be better then then qb they had last year? Don't confuse being a track athlete with being a football leader/playmaker.

Lenoch is making the Gates family proud by wearing that #32 jersey in an honorable way. The way you are against WB BeastMode you would think you went to Regina or something, brother. So what they get a bit of hype. They've won 17 district titles since 1992. So what they have yet to win a state title in this century. There are about 1000 schools in Iowa who haven't won a title and have been hyped at one point or another, bro. Butch runs a clean program that people can be proud of. The boys learn more than FB from him. That's all that I care.

Lenoch is making the Gates family proud by wearing that #32 jersey in an honorable way. The way you are against WB BeastMode you would think you went to Regina or something, brother. So what they get a bit of hype. They've won 17 district titles since 1992. So what they have yet to win a state title in this century. There are about 1000 schools in Iowa who haven't won a title and have been hyped at one point or another, bro. Butch runs a clean program that people can be proud of. The boys learn more than FB from him. That's all that I care.
Nice to see it.. Chad Gates was one heck of a football player

If you are ever near West Branch, travel South towards the town of Downey, Head East approx. 1 mile to Downey Cemetery. Quite a tribute to a wonderful young man who left us to early. RIP Chad.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
Kind of makes us realize that in the grand scheme of things what we bicker about is just high school football.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
FYI BeastMode you said "your team" in reference to WB and me. While I respect the WB accomplishments theyre not my team. Thanks for making a mountain of a mole hill though broski

Blame has been gone for awhile, think he and Cy had some infighting that didn't look good for the branch and off he went.

Blame has been gone for awhile, think he and Cy had some infighting that didn't look good for the branch and off he went.

Infighting?
Is CYard from WB or something? He certainly seems like a Regal guy. Although the posting of Chad's memorial stone was pretty wonderful.

For those wondering, I think ol Blame has decided to take his battle to Facebook and politics now.

I don't believe I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. I was just speaking facts. So here's a question for Bear fans, do you feel the lack of quality teams in the district plus the poor non district schedule will hinder the teams post season? Again I have nothing against the Bears. I made a few comments which I consider facts and you all got your feelings hurt. Sorry.

I know there was a lot of lobbying on the district alignments and there seems to be some unique assignments in that area of the state. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

beastmode, I am not a West Branch fan but I am not sure why you feel their district is so bad and their non district schedule is so bad. They play a very tough A school and 2 2A schools, with West Burlington looking to be on the rise. Both Dike and South Winn had great teams last year and I am sure they will again this year but it is not like West Branch's district appears to be weaker than Regina's. Outside of Regina, no team in that district made it past the first round.

Just don't understand why you feel their schedule was really that much of a diff maker. I am sure Dike would have won on that night no matter what West Branch's schedule was, and I am positive Regina would have breezed to another title no matter what their schedule was

beastmode, I am not a West Branch fan but I am not sure why you feel their district is so bad and their non district schedule is so bad. They play a very tough A school and 2 2A schools, with West Burlington looking to be on the rise. Both Dike and South Winn had great teams last year and I am sure they will again this year but it is not like West Branch's district appears to be weaker than Regina's. Outside of Regina, no team in that district made it past the first round.

Just don't understand why you feel their schedule was really that much of a diff maker. I am sure Dike would have won on that night no matter what West Branch's schedule was, and I am positive Regina would have breezed to another title no matter what their schedule was

This^^^^

As for your "FACTS" IABeastMode, perhaps you should look up the definition of the word "fact" in a dictionary and get back to me. Saying WB's pre-district schedule is weak and that our district is weak is what the big kids call "giving an OPINION".

I don't believe I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. I was just speaking facts. So here's a question for Bear fans, do you feel the lack of quality teams in the district plus the poor non district schedule will hinder the teams post season? Again I have nothing against the Bears. I made a few comments which I consider facts and you all got your feelings hurt. Sorry.

What do you have against WB, big guy? 8 posts and pretty much all of them have been anti-WBHS in some way. Seems a bit intriguing to me.

I would need to see something that shows that the WB non district schedule is anything but weak, some 'facts' would help.

I have family & friends that have went through both WB & RHS.
What is tough for me is that my two favorite teams although only 8 miles apart may not play each other again this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT