ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier- Western Dubuque

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Starting 2nd Q- Western Dubuque 13, CR Xavier 7. Neither defense can stop the other.
20- 14 Western Dubuque over Xavier in mid 2nd Q

Last edited:
Reactions: franky1967
Halftime-- Western Dubuque 20, CR Xavier 17. Two extremely athletic teams.

Going into 4th Q- 20- 20. WD has lost their star quarterback Harris, to an injury and gong with the backup. Xavier moves ahead 27- 20, as Western Dubuque now struggling on offense minus their QB.

Last edited:
To bad the Western Dubuque qb got hurt when he did, really has changed the game.

Schulte puts an exclamation mark on a fantastic season. After the last two games I don't think there should be any doubt who deserves offensive POY in 3A. Maybe not the highest rated or most athletic, but definitely POY. Hope he gets it because it is well deserved against some elite competition. Voters would have a lot of explaining to do if they don't.

Schulte puts an exclamation mark on a fantastic season. After the last two games I don't think there should be any doubt who deserves offensive POY in 3A. Maybe not the highest rated or most athletic, but definitely POY. Hope he gets it because it is well deserved against some elite competition. Voters would have a lot of explaining to do if they don't.
I completely agree. Schulte put up great stats, but more importantly led better than anyone at that position in 3A the last two years. Hard to argue against his individual accomplishments coupled with team success in the form of Back to Back State Championships. Hope he gets a scholarship from one of the state schools...such a tough and smart football player, he can't help but be a positive impact on whatever school he ends up at.

Reactions: LifeCoach
Agree with everyone's assessment of coach's son , Quinn Schulte. A warrior effort. As far as Western Dubuque's quarterback Calvin Harris.-- He went out in the early third quarter because of concussion protocol. On the sidelines his forehead looked like it had tire tracks on it. He'll be back next year. Hats off to Xavier.

Reactions: franky1967
I completely agree. Schulte put up great stats, but more importantly led better than anyone at that position in 3A the last two years. Hard to argue against his individual accomplishments coupled with team success in the form of Back to Back State Championships. Hope he gets a scholarship from one of the state schools...such a tough and smart football player, he can't help but be a positive impact on whatever school he ends up at.
He might but I doubt they want a QB to run 15 times a game and based on his last long run on offense his speed is just not there. Now that I say that he will probably be the next Brad Banks!

He might but I doubt they want a QB to run 15 times a game and based on his last long run on offense his speed is just not there. Now that I say that he will probably be the next Brad Banks!
Not at QB...I think he could be a safety in the mold of a Sean Considine or Jake Gervase.

Quinn is actually pretty speedy; more slippery, though (he hits a crease and gets more yards than you think are possible). He's definitely the fastest of the Schulte brothers.

As to that last run - consider the load he'd taken throughout the game, especially in the second half with Stovie out. He plays every play on defense, too, remember - so the fact that he "only" got 74 yards downfield before Burds ran him down has to be taken in light of how tired Schulte had to have been by that point.

That said, he's not as fast as Duggan, but I'd say he's comparable with Harris (who was giving Xavier fits all night until he went out with the injury). I don't know if he's any kind of quarterback prospect - but he's a kid who's a very good athlete who will give you everything he's got. The way he showed the team how to climb aboard and claw back in the second half last night was truly impressive.

Quinn is actually pretty speedy; more slippery, though (he hits a crease and gets more yards than you think are possible). He's definitely the fastest of the Schulte brothers.

As to that last run - consider the load he'd taken throughout the game, especially in the second half with Stovie out. He plays every play on defense, too, remember - so the fact that he "only" got 74 yards downfield before Burds ran him down has to be taken in light of how tired Schulte had to have been by that point.

That said, he's not as fast as Duggan, but I'd say he's comparable with Harris (who was giving Xavier fits all night until he went out with the injury). I don't know if he's any kind of quarterback prospect - but he's a kid who's a very good athlete who will give you everything he's got. The way he showed the team how to climb aboard and claw back in the second half last night was truly impressive.

I have mentioned before that Stovie is the difference between LC and Xavier. Without him the first half, Shulte would have run out of gas long before that Heck, half of every team in team in 3A goes both ways and gets the crap beat out of them by every 4A team that moved down this year + Xavier by players that don't go both ways! He isn't even half as tired as 90% of other decent players he plays against. Harris is the same. He is not fast either but looks that way because he has a big line to protect him as well that don't go both ways. And speaking of how similar the teams are. Both McDermot (sp) kids on that team used to go to Dubuque Wahlert, live in Dubuque, but amazingly go all the way to Epworth to school for some reason. Hmmm, and they just happen to play football. Go figure.

I mention one fault and the least thing you could do is give me is a little more agreement than that "quite speedy" baloney. Slippery behind a huge line to dance behind for 3 and squeeze between for a couple more. He is good but you don't have to be an apologist for him....

Bottom line. Team sport. Put Schulte behind most any other 3A line and he is just another pretty good QB but not this years deserved POY.

Wow. I’m not the one who said he should be player of the year. I just said his legs had to be tired by the 4th quarter of that bruising game & that would explain why he got caught from behind after running 74 yards ... instead of saying “he’s not that fast.” Okay then.

40 times are comparable (if accurate)

Duggan 4.53
Schulte 4.58
Not sure where you got your times (especially Schulte) from but they appeared inaccurate, so I did some easy research. Duggan at the Nike Opening competition in Canton, Ohio ran an electronic 4.58, he also ranks in the top 25 among all players nationally for all his testing scores. Closer to home for both athletes, Quick stats Track and Field over the last two years list Schulte's fastest 100m as 12.68 and his 200m as 24.27. For Duggan his 100m is 11.13 and his 200m as 21.65 (recorded f.a.t at the district meet last year). Comparing these times, Duggan's track times definitely equate to his 4.58 40 time, Schulte's not even close.

Not sure where you got your times (especially Schulte) from but they appeared inaccurate, so I did some easy research. Duggan at the Nike Opening competition in Canton, Ohio ran an electronic 4.58, he also ranks in the top 25 among all players nationally for all his testing scores. Closer to home for both athletes, Quick stats Track and Field over the last two years list Schulte's fastest 100m as 12.68 and his 200m as 24.27. For Duggan his 100m is 11.13 and his 200m as 21.65 (recorded f.a.t at the district meet last year). Comparing these times, Duggan's track times definitely equate to his 4.58 40 time, Schulte's not even close.
when lewis central played harlan when duggan was a freshman, he had speed...harlans coach baldt stated he had some wheels on him then, and they would have to contend with him for the next 3 years...hopefully duggan will have success at the next level, but u never know..i have seen many 4 star qbs come out of high schoo, and are bench warmers...the competition is fierce, unless u are a bradey

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT