ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier beats Assumption

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Will these two schools meet in the playoffs? Knowing the state it could be an EARLY playoff game since they control where teams go.

Sounds like Assumption is pretty beat up right now. Down top two QB's is a tough way to face Xavier. Very dominant performance by Xavier.

This post was edited on 9/5 7:48 AM by fmclonefan

link

Clone - you must not have been at the game - it was far from a dominant performance by Xavier. Assumption handed them 17 points on miscues (two straight Xavier kickoffs recovered by Xavier and an INT returned inside the 10). Both teams have a lot of work to do but both will be there come playoff time.

It was a pretty ugly game for both teams for most of the game. The one thing Xavier can take away from this game is that they can have a dominant running game at times. The one thing Assumption can take away is that they really need to work on fielding a kickoff.

I was not at the game, just looked at the write up and the stats. Did sound like an ugly game. But, in saying that, they will both be very prominent come playoff time. Assumption has a pretty easy district, for the most part. They have a lot of weeks to get healthy. Xavier still has Solon to deal with. That should be a great game.

I didn't see anything handed to Xavier. Interceptions were forced by defense attack. Fumbles by mis-reads and wind. Assumption O-line may be contributing to their injured QB's.

Good teams don't fumble kickoff returns. The pick is acceptable but if you fumble two kickoff returns then the team is not that good...basics

Originally posted by thinkpad1:

I didn't see anything handed to Xavier. Interceptions were forced by defense attack. Fumbles by mis-reads and wind. Assumption O-line may be contributing to their injured QB's.
Watching the clips from the game - one of the picks was a HORRIBLE wobbly pass and the QB had time to set his feet, so pressure wasn't great on that one. If Assumption is missing as many as it sounds, they are going to struggle against good competition.

Fumbled KO's yeah, that is just inexcusable especially on a dry night.

Xavier has numbers and that will take a toll on a lot of 3A programs that play nearly everyone both ways.

I guess it begs the question: What has happened to Assumption's fundamentals? You don't have the success that they have had and not be fundamentally sound. Some of that is probably due to playing less experienced players to fill in for the injuries. They have to be somewhat demoralized in losing the first two games soundly (at least on the scoreboard). Better weeks 1 and 2 for them then weeks 8 and 9 though. They will get healthy, but time will tell what kind of playoff run they will make. The week 9 battle with Washington will be telling.

Originally posted by o2bahawk:
Clone - you must not have been at the game - it was far from a dominant performance by Xavier. Assumption handed them 17 points on miscues (two straight Xavier kickoffs recovered by Xavier and an INT returned inside the 10). Both teams have a lot of work to do but both will be there come playoff time.
It doesn't sound like those miscues were the difference in the game. When one team rushes for 300 on 60 carries, that's pretty dominant. If the game had ended up 24-17, then those mistakes may have affected the outcome.

Yep, Assumption made some bad mistakes and shot themselves in the foot - not many teams can give up 17 points without running one offensive play - but to say Xavier didn't dominate is just silly. Look, they rushed for nearly 300 yards. They held Assumption to zero first downs - zero! - over the first three quarters. What exactly would your definition of 'dominate' be?

Xavier had some screwups, too, including a snap over the quarterback's head that potentially cost them points and several poorly timed penalties in the first half that kept the score only 3-0. But it was pretty clear from the start who had the better team that night.

It's really too bad Assumption was hit so hard by injuries (and illness, from what I heard). Down to their third quarterback, having a good 7 or 8 guys having to play both ways ... it was a tough situation to be in.

Now, about the end of the half: What was up with that officiating crew swallowing their whistles and letting that missed field-goal "return" play out before waving it off? Xavier tried a 39-yard field goal that fell short in the end zone. By high school rules, that's a dead ball. Assumption had a man back there, though, and he ran it back as if it were live, all the way (as the crowd went wild). The officials chased the play downfield, then stood around and looked at each other for two minutes before calling the play a touchback, as it was. Why didn't they blow it dead? What if a player had gotten injured during that event? What exactly were they thinking? Inquiring minds do want to know.

And also, while it may not matter in the big scheme of thinks, Assumption did not fumble those two kickoffs. They were odd "turnovers" mostly blamed on the wind. The first one was misjudged by the Assumption returner, who tried to come up and field it but it ricocheted off his feet or shins and bounced 15-20 yards back toward the Xavier kicking team. The second was almost like an unintended pooch kick, very short into the wind, and the up back for Assumption failed to make a play on it and Xavier was able to grab the ball.

So, weird plays based on the wind, and also potentially on Assumption's injury situation forcing less-experienced special teams players on the field. Turnovers, to be sure, but not exactly fumbles.

Again, I feel bad for Assumption getting behind the injury eight-ball, especially so early in the season. They have a proud tradition and history there. Their defense showed signs of real toughness last night, making some good plays and harrassing Schulte a few times in yen second quarter. Hopefully they can get those guys more experience and put things together for their district schedule. If they do turn things around and see Xavier again in the playoffs, I expect a closer game, for sure.

I think the Xavier Offense has a lot of work to do, to get to the Dome. I think it will come along in time. Remember Schulte is only a Sophomore.

Xavier's Defense is going to keep them in most games and maybe even win a few. They are tough and will be hard to score on. Assumptions score came against mostly second team players.

Xavier's numbers and the fact that only a couple of players go both ways will be a great weapon for them. It was obvious last night. They wore Assumptions down in the second half.

Originally posted by Rembrandt2011:
I think the Xavier Offense has a lot of work to do, to get to the Dome. I think it will come along in time. Remember Schulte is only a Sophomore.

Xavier's Defense is going to keep them in most games and maybe even win a few. They are tough and will be hard to score on. Assumptions score came against mostly second team players.

Xavier's numbers and the fact that only a couple of players go both ways will be a great weapon for them. It was obvious last night. They wore Assumptions down in the second half.
Yep, when you have a roster the size of most large 4A schools - you can rotate much easier than those that have half your roster size.

Assumption didn't perform well on offense. Assumption performed adequately on defense. Assumption special teams were very uneven.
Xavier didn't perform well on offense in first half, did perform well in second half. Xavier defense was outstanding. Xavier special teams were not good on punts or kickoff returns and did a mixed job on kickoff coverage, in that Assumption made errors that Xavier recovered.

Both teams were down several starters after getting roughed up in week one.

The "runback/callback" from the end zone is troubling in that Davenport Assumption coaching staff didn't understand a rule. Maybe too much Auburn/Alabama or maybe a pro game. Yes, the referees could've whistled it, but the Knight should've been standing ahead of the goal line and not in the end zone. On long field goals don't all HS coaches emphasize getting it to the end zone?

I think Davenport Assumption's defense will do okay across the course of the year and their offense will be better too. Special teams will be better next week.

I think Xavier's defense is in very good form. Xavier's offense needs to pass protect or choose different timing. Xavier special teams need to step it up several notches in punting, punt returns, kickoff coverage and kickoff returns.

Maybe the lack of two-a-days makes a difference on repetitions for non-starters who have to step up and for special teams? I don't know. Maybe it was the hottest day of the summer.

Good luck to both teams ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT