ADVERTISEMENT

Why still have the East/West Split in the Playoffs?

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
With more cross state games being played, why continue the East/West Split?
I think last year Bettendorf played at Valley.

The only concern would be the Souix City and Council Bluffs Schools. If any of them schools make it to the finals, they have to travel to Cedar Falls twice anyways.

The idea of districts originally was to fill a teams schedule and minimize travel. I think travel went out the door.

I really wonder if there will be a true split this year, mainly due to the fact that there are 4 west districts, and 3 east districts so I could see the state sending a team from the west to the east.

Well, there are at least two readily apparent reasons for keeping the playoff brackets geographically focused. 1) The IHSAA probably wants to minimize significant travel during first couple PO rounds and 2) It stands to reason the gate would be higher (which the IHSAA desires) for two schools which are located closer to one another. In Iowa 4A, since most schools are in/near urban centers, there are often vast distances involved when playing outside of the home school's "urban cluster" and it seems the state is somewhat geographically balanced east to west.

I think the state has less motive to geographically orient matchups now than they used to when there used to be Wednesday and Monday playoff games. Having all Friday night playoff games certainly helps simplify things a bit. That’s not to say the IHSAA doesn’t appreciate the larger gates however. They certainly do. But at least now, the kids don’t have to be back in class the next morning.

That is a good point, uneven districts, in fact that is a very good point! With them using the RPI system now, who is to say maybe the best teams in the state are not located on the West/ East.

I think the state has less motive to geographically orient matchups now than they used to when there used to be Wednesday and Monday playoff games. Having all Friday night playoff games certainly helps simplify things a bit. That’s not to say the IHSAA doesn’t appreciate the larger gates however. They certainly do. But at least now, the kids don’t have to be back in class the next morning.

That is correct, I dont see how it's any different then a regular season game. They dont need to minimize travel with Friday Night Playoff games.. Good point

There's also some common sense involved. You're not going to send a SC or CB team over to Bettendorf just because that's how the seeds played out.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
It’s not out of the realm of possibility that such a game could be played at a neutral site. That used to be more common back in the day.

Regardless on how the playoffs are set, someone is going to cry about it.

If they reseed and determine the central Iowa schools should have the top 4 seeds (ex Dowling, Valley, Johnston, etc) in the playoffs, someone is going to cry stating the East side of state is being picked on.

In any scenario, the state title is going to be won by the team playing the best at that point in the season.

With more cross state games being played, why continue the East/West Split?
I think last year Bettendorf played at Valley.

The only concern would be the Souix City and Council Bluffs Schools. If any of them schools make it to the finals, they have to travel to Cedar Falls twice anyways.

The idea of districts originally was to fill a teams schedule and minimize travel. I think travel went out the door.

The real reason the State went to 8/8 split, was what would be considered all Eastern Teams were meeting in the finals one two many times. That was the only reason.

The CB and SC schools if they have a good season would have to travel twice to Cedar Falls the Semi's & Finals. So they are already playing on a neutral field.

However you are right, common sense will dictate who they will play. Even though lets say they could beat a team from the far East.

It also appears at least for the 1st round two teams from the East will Play two from the West

Reactions: CF_93
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT