ADVERTISEMENT

Why are there no African American Head Coaches in the inner cities.

Nov 22, 2004
We have great coaches in our state. Why is there not very many african american head football coaches in our inner cities?

Iowa doesn't really have inner cities. Yes Des Moines, Waterloo, and Davenport public schools have a good percentage of minority coaches but I wouldn't call them inner city schools. Plus both Waterloo schools have an African American coach, so I really don't understand the purpose of this thread.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
Iowa doesn't really have inner cities. Yes Des Moines, Waterloo, and Davenport public schools have a good percentage of minority coaches but I wouldn't call them inner city schools. Plus both Waterloo schools have an African American coach, so I really don't understand the purpose of this thread.

Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Waterloo, Sioux City, and Davenport. I would consider to be metro areas. I just wanted to know why we don't have a lot of them.

I am not sure how there is a clear bias, only 3.4 percent of Iowa's population is African American, so I would say that the numbers are in line with that, and I would guess that there are not that many African Americans even applying for jobs in the state in this area.

Well to solve any problem you have to have a clear understanding of not only the base problem but also how the problem unfolds specifically so you can pinpoint the source and either remove it or alter it. Any action taken without doing this only serves to gloss over, complicate, or even misidentify a problem rather than solving it. As is on the field of play a coaching position should be assigned based on qualifications and integrity only. Never by race. If a coach who is more qualified for a position and has solid integrity is being held back due to race this is wrong. If a coach that is not more qualified and/or has questionable integrity is promoted due to race this too is wrong. Is there a case of where the the most qualified coach with solid integrity was excluded due to race? If so I would suggest challenging that specific issue individually to ensure the kids of that school have the best chance to win. After all, the kids are what this is all about.

Reactions: Plcoleman
Before anyone cries foul, I think you would need to talk to Athletic Directors of those schools to see how many applicants they are receiving. Head Coaching positions don't come up very often and it's pretty competitive when they do.

Quite honestly, I am not sure if it is or isn't an issue.

I will say, qualified head coaches need to have experience. There are a number African American assistant coaches within the metro schools. Who's to say one of those guys aren't a future head coach?

We have great coaches in our state. Why is there not very many african american head football coaches in our inner cities?

Reactions: Lenmaster
This is a great discussion that should probably take place among higher ups. Thank you for keeping this thread clean and honest. How many African American head coaches do we have now?

Reactions: mtdew_fever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT