ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is The Biggest First Round Upset?

Charles City over Tear Lake. Tear Lake won early in the season, but play much weaker competition during the conference season. Look at most recent games against New Hampton as an example of things to come (hotly contested game; Tear Lake vs. Charles City).

I don't see that happening. Clear Lake has faced hugely better competition than Charles City. The NCC is significantly better than the NEIC. Oelwein won the NEIC and didn't even hit .300 as a team. That shows how offensively challenged the NEIC is. Pitching can only take teams so far.

Originally posted by vikesfan13146:
I don't see that happening. Clear Lake has faced hugely better competition than Charles City. The NCC is significantly better than the NEIC. Oelwein won the NEIC and didn't even hit .300 as a team. That shows how offensively challenged the NEIC is. Pitching can only take teams so far.
To the State Title?
2011- Pitching Wins Titles
Davis County(1 run in 3 state games)
Martensedale St. Mary's(8 runs in 3 state games---Known for pitching all year)
Solon(3 Runs allowed 3 state games)
Dowling(1 Run allowed in each state game)

2010-
Martensdale St. Mary's(2 runs allowed in 3 state games)
Solon(11 runs allowed in 3 state games---9 in 1 game)
Glenwood(5 runs allowed in 3 state games)
CR Kennedy(5 runs allowed in 3 state games)

pitching doesn't win championships by itself. You NEED pitching to win championships, but you also have to be able to score more than your opponent.

Of course you have to score to win....

There are good pitching teams and there are good hitting teams.

Most of the time teams with a strength in the pitching department win the State Titles in the lower 3 classes. 4A generally needs good pitching and hitting.

CR Kennedy, Dowling, and Solon had good pitching and hitting.

MTSM, Glenwood, and Davis County were known more for the pitching.

i would say all of those teams were above average hitting as well. look at Gilbert last year. Goodman made them a good pitching team and it led them to the finals, but they were an average hitting team and couldn't produce when facing another good pitching team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT