ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best player in this class that no one is talking about?

I'm not sure if you mean class as in Class of 2015 or Class 4A, but either way, a lot of people aren't talking about Seth Nerness.

The reason not many people are talking about Nerness is because he transferred from Murray to Huntersville, North Carolina, but he has 17 tackles-for-losses in 6 games.

No one expected CR Wash to be this good so... Tavian Patrick and Johnny Dobbs who lead the rushing attack are the least talked about.

Originally posted by maxstabs13:
No one expected CR Wash to be this good so... Tavian Patrick and Johnny Dobbs who lead the rushing attack are the least talked about.
What? They had huge expectations. This is the group that Lombardi started putting together 6 years ago and have been dominating everyone for six years. It was a sophomore dominated varsity team last year that went 6-3.

some candidates for biggest darkhorse of the year:
Dafney, WDMV (Valley is not a receiver school and he's put up insane numbers thus far)
Kramme, Ankeny Centennial (9.6 yards per touch!?)
Marschel, DM Hoover (for someone who's caught the ball that many times, 20 yards per catch is a lot)
Harris, Dowling (who would have thought he'd have more TFLs than Morris or Jok)
Schulte, Dowling (27-28 yards a catch and a yards after catch threat)
Campero, Dowling (5 INTs so far)
O'Connor Bettendorf (highest yards per carry of any RB this year)
Hahn, WDMV (59 yards per kickoff!)

Wait, they were preseason top 5 or top 10 in most places. I believe I heard they returned 18 starters so I would have expected them to be very good.

Lets be honest... Everyone had Dowling and Waukee 1 and 2 hands down coming into the season.

Valley
North Scott
IC West
Bettendorf
Ames
SEP
PV
Cedar Falls

Those are all teams that CR Wash was supposed to compete with in the second tier.

Now...
Dowling and CR Wash look best
Waukee and Valley just behind

Everyone else has fallen off the radar at this point.

They went from a 6-4 squad with solid experience to arguably the best team in the state. People were doubting them all the way through the first 4 or 5 weeks. Even after shutting out IC West it was "Let's see what they do against undefeated Linn Mar." They destroy them and suddenly people realized it was a solid team.

I had Dowling, Bett, and CR Wash ahead of the pack from about 2 weeks in. Bett escaping IC West dropped them out. Waukee bouncing back from Dowling whooping and Valley pulling off the win over Dowling brought them up.

Lets be honest... Everyone had Dowling and Waukee 1 and 2 hands down coming into the season.

Valley
North Scott
IC West
Bettendorf
Ames
SEP
PV
Cedar Falls

Those are all teams that CR Wash was supposed to compete with in the second tier.

Now...
Dowling and CR Wash look best
Waukee and Valley just behind

Everyone else has fallen off the radar at this point.

They went from a 6-4 squad with solid experience to arguably the best team in the state. People were doubting them all the way through the first 4 or 5 weeks. Even after shutting out IC West it was "Let's see what they do against undefeated Linn Mar." They destroy them and suddenly people realized it was a solid team.

I had Dowling, Bett, and CR Wash ahead of the pack from about 2 weeks in. Bett escaping IC West dropped them out. Waukee bouncing back from Dowling whooping and Valley pulling off the win over Dowling brought them up.
Again, being honest, most people thought Wash would be the team coming from the east. Nobody put anyone above them (in the east). They were/are the only team on the east with D1 kids at the line, skill positions, and LB.

This post was edited on 10/10 9:33 AM by woodsiding

Max - don't ignore CB Lewis Central. I watched them against Dowling, and even though the score was a blowout, they showed some things that night that were impressive. Outside the top 5-6 teams I think they can compete.

Austin Simmons, their QB who has committed to South Dakota, is a great player. IMO the top QB in the state.

Originally posted by LineDriveHawk:
Max - don't ignore CB Lewis Central. I watched them against Dowling, and even though the score was a blowout, they showed some things that night that were impressive. Outside the top 5-6 teams I think they can compete.

Austin Simmons, their QB who has committed to South Dakota, is a great player. IMO the top QB in the state.
Better than Boyle? Interesting.

I saw them head-to-head and I would rather have Simmons. Boyle obviously has fantastic weapons around him, including a great offensive line. Simmons line was less than average, and he was on the run all night. He has incredible athleticism. I would say in comparison to what I have seen from Boyle, they are about equal it terms of athleticism. It appeared to me that Simmons has a stronger and more accurate arm - also while on the move most of the time. I am not taking anything away from Boyle, but I was extremely impressed with Simmons. I think it will be interesting to see if some bigger schools come calling on Simmons late in the recruiting process. If not, I see him having a fantastic career at South Dakota.

I did a search, and the LC games are archived on a website - www.lcsportsfan.com. Take a look at the SC East game. Simmons led LC over SC East (who two weeks ago was ranked #6 before losing against Dowling) with over 600 yards of offense himself. Very impressive.

I would say that the Kicker for CRP, Sam Drysdale, is a pretty good player that nobody is talking about. I realize that it is not popular to focus in on a special teams player. The QB from LM also seems pretty capable, but has a bit to prove yet in the playoffs. There is a defensive player from CRJ who seems pretty dominant, but gets injured. CRW has some outstanding defenders in the line (Jones and Silver) and one linebacker that is really good. CRK has a TD, Beyer, who has been a solid scorer.

Drysdale seems like a notch above the rest of the kickers and this group. Maybe the stats don't back it up.

The best defensive player on the east side of the state is a 160 pound nose guard number 46 from Linn Mar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT