ADVERTISEMENT

what is your ideal type of offense?

DSMan

Varsity
Nov 12, 2006
mine is a deception based offense. The key is to have a pulling blocker (guard and occasionally a fullback/h-back). Here are my favorite plays

1) make a receiver run a route so as to leave one side of the field open and throw a screen/drag-out to where the DB/LB used to be

2) motion the QB to receiver and make it look like he is about to call a timeout, then snap the ball to the RB to throw to the QB

3) Fake Dive play and then toss/pitch to a flanker/wingback

4) throw a pedestrian pass to a possession receiver or tight end and wait for everyone to crowd tackle and pitch to an uncovered receiver

The idea would be to deceive the defense and if they catch on, try to deceive them into something else (i.e. pull the guards the opposite way that the play will go). I'm not sure who runs this type of scheme - Dowling and Centennial both have elements of that in there offense.

how about one that controls the clock, doesn't turn the ball over, and scores more points than the other team

I remember years ago playing Madden when I could run a fake punt every down and complete the bomb every time. The defense didn't even know what hit them!!

I'd run that system

mine is a deception based offense. The key is to have a pulling blocker (guard and occasionally a fullback/h-back). Here are my favorite plays

1) make a receiver run a route so as to leave one side of the field open and throw a screen/drag-out to where the DB/LB used to be

2) motion the QB to receiver and make it look like he is about to call a timeout, then snap the ball to the RB to throw to the QB

3) Fake Dive play and then toss/pitch to a flanker/wingback

4) throw a pedestrian pass to a possession receiver or tight end and wait for everyone to crowd tackle and pitch to an uncovered receiver

The idea would be to deceive the defense and if they catch on, try to deceive them into something else (i.e. pull the guards the opposite way that the play will go). I'm not sure who runs this type of scheme - Dowling and Centennial both have elements of that in there offense.

I'm more old school, so I prefer what we ran....a triple option offense that could go out of the 'bone or double wing. We were especially effective when we did that with an unbalanced line.

My serious answer is less optimal offense than optimal allocation of athletes. By that I mean, I see way too many very good QB's without a receiver and a tight end (which is much more important in most high school offenses than people realize). The team they are playing will often have a slow QB and 3 fast receivers with good hands.....what gives?
Given that in Iowa (upper-Midwest) you have to be able to run the ball as you will play at least 3 games in less than ideal conditions I would say you take your four best athletes that are NOT clearly two way linemen and move them to QB, TE, RB and WO (more or less in that order).

A no-huddle offense. Get the defense on their heals and dont give them any time to rest. Run most plays out of gun but some pro style. Give everyone on offense a wristband like qb's wear so the coach can yell easy things or signals so they can keep attacking. Also no huddle gives teams more time to read a defense and have motion before the play since the play clock is 25 seconds.

I have seen some try to run the spread with 4/5 WR sets at the high school level and most schools just don't have the athletes to pull it off.

I personally like what is would be considered the base Pro Set. It allows a lot of flexibility for running and passing.

I do like watching the teams like Madrid run the running option attack. Not near as many teams utilize it now. The downside is the lack of options if they need to pass the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT