ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too early playoff predictions

PC will be very relevant come playoff time. They lost to 2 very good teams. I would argue they are among the top 6 1A teams that have a legit chance to be in the Semi-Finals. Those 6 would be (Van Meter, DNH, SCC, Bellevue, West Branch, Pella Christian).

West Sioux will be in that mix and rightfully so. They are very well coached, extremely talented and will have no problem, in my opinion, getting to the dome. We will have to see matchups come playoff time, but they are easily one of the top teams in the state.

Hmmm. How do you think they will match up in a Van Meter rematch or a DNH game? I think they will roll over I-35, so probably by that point they will be sitting pretty good.
I think PC is right there with DNH and Van Meter. In my opinion DNH and Van Meter should be favored against PC, but wouldn’t be surprised if they won.

PC will be very relevant come playoff time. They lost to 2 very good teams. I would argue they are among the top 6 1A teams that have a legit chance to be in the Semi-Finals. Those 6 would be (Van Meter, DNH, SCC, Bellevue, West Branch, Pella Christian).
Add West Sioux to the list too. To be honest I have them favored to win the state title.

West Sioux will be in that mix and rightfully so. They are very well coached, extremely talented and will have no problem, in my opinion, getting to the dome. We will have to see matchups come playoff time, but they are easily one of the top teams in the state.
Sorry, I just caught that mistake of leaving West Sioux off.

Reactions: Charles86
Sorry, I just caught that mistake of leaving West Sioux off.

They are not overly huge but are just very quick and athletic. They have a very accurate and mobile quarterback and a pretty talented running back who can also come out of the backfield and catch. They're just a well-rounded team that will give anyone fits when it comes to putting a defensive gameplan together.

Good question, we are at a new way of doing things. I've lost a little confidence in my ability to guess/predict what the playoff scenario will look like. I still feel Osage and Treynor, the last rated RPI district champions (Unless DNH would lose to Regina) will not play each other in the first round of the playoffs. This to me will cause the 1A playoffs to be not done correctly based of of how the IAHSAA wants to do it. I will have a problem if Mount Ayr travels to Treynor in the first round. I do not think that either one of these teams are quarterfinal material. I strongly believe that Cascade or Regina would beat either one of these teams by 35 points. So Cascade and Regina don't get invited to the playoffs, but 1 of these teams will be in the top 8???? Makes it a joke!!!!! It's reasons like this why I hate the current 16 team playoff schedule. Everyone is worried about blowouts in 32 team playoffs, wait until you see how bad Treynor or Mount Ayr get beat in the quarterfinals. Will get a good look at Mount Ayr this week with their Van Meter game, I'm guess 35 point clock rolling at the start of the 3rd qtr. Please do not take this the wrong way, I'm not trolling Mount Ayr or Treynor I'm just saying this systems doesn't move any closer to allowing the best 16 teams into the playoffs.
I was not a fan of the 32-team playoff field. I am an even worse fan of the current system. I am like you, at this point, I would rather go back to 32, too many teams get in, the ones that don't deserve to win wont win, and the 2nd round gets interesting. Not going to happen for a couple of years. It's also interesting that I have heard college sports are going away from the RPI. I'm not sure why the state is going to it now when other levels have been using it for years and are dropping it.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I really don't think there's much change than what I had previously posted last week on the potential playoff matchups, but Cascade has a chance to get in with massive games these last two weeks. I am going to wait until after this week to put something together because they play West Branch and a win will shake everything up. Also, Regina still plays DNH in week 9 and that'll be for the title, and they could very well win and put DNH on the road in the first round. With those possibilities, it's still murky as to how things will look. I will say I believe things out west are already settled. Teams playing in the west will be West Sioux, West Lyon, SSC, I-35, Van Meter, Treynor, Mount Ayr, and South Hamilton. South Hamilton will win their last two and get in with a high enough RPI and the state will have them stay on the west half. So, those 8 in my opinion are set. In the east, it's going to be Wilton, Mepo, PC, DNH, Osage, Bellevue, Sum-Fred, and I think battling for that last spot will be three teams: Regina, WB, and Cascade. After WB and Cascade play this week there will be a much better idea with those two. Jury is still out on Regina but they look like they are rounding into form.

I really don't think there's much change than what I had previously posted last week on the potential playoff matchups, but Cascade has a chance to get in with massive games these last two weeks. I am going to wait until after this week to put something together because they play West Branch and a win will shake everything up. Also, Regina still plays DNH in week 9 and that'll be for the title, and they could very well win and put DNH on the road in the first round. With those possibilities, it's still murky as to how things will look. I will say I believe things out west are already settled. Teams playing in the west will be West Sioux, West Lyon, SSC, I-35, Van Meter, Treynor, Mount Ayr, and South Hamilton. South Hamilton will win their last two and get in with a high enough RPI and the state will have them stay on the west half. So, those 8 in my opinion are set. In the east, it's going to be Wilton, Mepo, PC, DNH, Osage, Bellevue, Sum-Fred, and I think battling for that last spot will be three teams: Regina, WB, and Cascade. After WB and Cascade play this week there will be a much better idea with those two. Jury is still out on Regina but they look like they are rounding into form.

Or you could say battling for the last two spots in the east will b: Sum-Fred, Regina, WB, and Cascade. Huge games coming up in the last two weeks.

I think Underwood has a chance to get in over South Hamilton. They are very close in RPI.

I think Underwood has a chance to get in over South Hamilton. They are very close in RPI.

Underwood is at Cherokee this week and then home vs Missouri Valley in week 9 which will be a big game for the RPI.

South Hamilton is hosting Ogden this week and then will receive a forfeit vs Eagle Grove in week 9. Will the forfeit hurt their RPI or lower it significantly?

When Regina loses in week 9 they are out. 5-4 (or 6-3) teams dont deserve to be in the postseason

When Regina loses in week 9 they are out. 5-4 (or 6-3) teams dont deserve to be in the postseason

I agree but im saying they are still in the mix because of their chance to win the distict yet. If they do in fact lose, they will be out.

So, with the inclusion of the 6-3 comment, are you saying that even if they won the district, you still don't think they deserve a playoff spot?

I'm perfectly find with saying a team that doesn't qualify via one of either of the prescribed methods, doesn't deserve a spot. But if you're fine with a DC from a weak district getting a spot, then you have to acknowledge one that beats a top ranked team for a DC.

Not predicting that will happen, just saying IF it does, then they do deserve the spot.

GoEagles is a Clayton Ridge fan who is still upset that Regina knocked out the one good team they had years ago. Clayton Ridge isn't even 1A anymore, but he still hangs around this board with the sole interest of hating on Regina every chance he gets.

So, I usually give his biased input the consideration it deserves...not much.

GoEagles is a Clayton Ridge fan who is still upset that Regina knocked out the one good team they had years ago. Clayton Ridge isn't even 1A anymore, but he still hangs around this board with the sole interest of hating on Regina every chance he gets.

That explains a few things. Regina has a tough road. I am sure there will be some rejoicing if they don't make it. Not certain there are 16 better 1A teams but you need wins to get in.

West Branch and Bellevue will roll past Cascade. Not sure there is any debate if you have watched both teams play. If you haven’t seen them play then I guess you can make this wild prediction.

West Branch and Bellevue will roll past Cascade. Not sure there is any debate if you have watched both teams play. If you haven’t seen them play then I guess you can make this wild prediction.

I do live a bit more on the western side of the state so I haven’t seen any play and you’re probably right about those two rolling over Cascade but there’s always a chance of something happening. It probably does sound pretty wild but oh well

Reactions: ISUfan00
I do live a bit more on the western side of the state so I haven’t seen any play and you’re probably right about those two rolling over Cascade but there’s always a chance of something happening. It probably does sound pretty wild but oh well

Wasn’t meant to be snarky. I saw them play head to head and have seen all of WBs games. Both are very good teams. I think both will make some noise in the playoffs

Wasn’t meant to be snarky. I saw them play head to head and have seen all of WBs games. Both are very good teams. I think both will make some noise in the playoffs

I know you weren’t and I’m glad you offered your thoughts. It makes it more fun when we can offer our insights. That district will have a really great chance at getting a team to the dome and possibly the title game

Reactions: ISUfan00

Haven't seen or followed WB this year, what separates this team from the past few?

Haven't seen or followed WB this year, what separates this team from the past few?

Good question, in all honesty I’m not real sure. As a couple teams in past years I feel we’re probably just as good. I would say if there’s one thing to look at would be the QB. Beau is an all round better QB then what WB has had in past couple years. Statistically speaking he might go down as WB all time most accurate passer percentage and interception wise. Haven’t looked yet but would also say he might be close to setting all time passing TDs too. I also i think a couple of past years teams just had some games in the playoffs where the ball just didn’t bounce their way. But that’s football, got to overcome those things.

I have my biases too, but I try not to let them get in the way of credit where credit is due. I didn't have much respect for Wilton, was willing to admit I was wrong last week. I'm not a fan of WB, but all season I've acknowledged that this appears to be a historically superior team. I have thought all along that they should be a final 4 team, and while I'm not a fan, I really want to see them make it that far because I think that provides a quality matchup.

That being said, I also think Bellevue is a quality team, so appreciate their win over the Bears. As much as I hated the 32 team playoff, I hate seeing some teams who maybe should but won't get a chance.

Any chance that Mount Ayr doesn't get in? Their non-district schedule does them no favors, could that haunt them in terms of RPI? Could a Regina, Cascade, or Underwood sneak in over them?
Cascade, under current RPI doesn't have to sneak in at all, of course they are facing WB and Bellevue the last two games, so that's a tough road.

So the question becomes can Mt Ayr drop 8 RPI spots or Underwood or Regina climb 5 or 6 respectively? I haven't done the math, but the only way for Regina to even stand a chance (with others losing) is with two wins. One of those wins would be against DNH so, RPI doesn't matter, they'd be DCs. Could Underwood post two wins (Mo Valley and Cherokee?) and who would have to lose ahead of them. That seems like a tough road.

West Sioux is the team to beat. they are talented and are just hard to defend. I thought it was interesting to see how much weight some of their guys added from last year. some of their "studs" added 25+ pounds must have a solid weight program up there.

Any chance that Mount Ayr doesn't get in? Their non-district schedule does them no favors, could that haunt them in terms of RPI? Could a Regina, Cascade, or Underwood sneak in over them?
Projecting out I have South Hamilton as the last team in. Underwood is currently .0082 behind South Hamilton. I have not done all the math to see the exact scenario for Underwood to get in over South Hamilton but it seems possible. If Mount Ayr loses to Van Meter I believe they will drop to right ahead of South Hamilton. I’ll start doing math after week 8 to try and get a handle of all the possibilities.

West Sioux is the team to beat. they are talented and are just hard to defend. I thought it was interesting to see how much weight some of their guys added from last year. some of their "studs" added 25+ pounds must have a solid weight program up there.
Not discounting the analysis, I'm sure they have a great program and many have built, but my experience with the rosters on the state site is that they are pretty fluffy in terms of accuracy on height and weight - I've looked at teams and individuals I know and scratch my head. I think there's a fair amount of guess work on some team's staff on how that data is collected and reported.

West Sioux was one that I had the most doubts about making the switch up a class - seems like that is not even the least bit of a factor - sign of a solid program

25+ weight gains? That's impressive. Good strength program.

If Cascade loses tomorrow night against West Branch, they will need a victory in week 9 against Bellevue to get in. If they lose both games and finish at 5-4, they will 100% be OUT.

If Cascade loses tomorrow night against West Branch, they will need a victory in week 9 against Bellevue to get in. If they lose both games and finish at 5-4, they will 100% be OUT.

I don’t think Cascade gets in unless they win both.

I did some quick math, and adjusted only team winning percentage based off of BCM predictions. I left OWP and OOWP the same to save time.

1. SSC
2. Bellevue
3. Pella Christian
4. Van Meter
5. West Branch
6. I 35
7. DNH
8. West Sioux
9. Wilton
10. Sumner Fred
11. Treynor
12. Osage
13. West Lyon
14. Mediapolis
15. South Hamilton
16. Mount Ayr

If Cascade loses tonight but wins next week, they're in. 3-way tie for the district title. One tie all tie all in

If Cascade loses tonight but wins next week, they're in. 3-way tie for the district title. One tie all tie all in
Didn't the state reverse course on the district tie in the post season manual? Seems like they said they'd use RPI to break the tie and only have one Champ per district.

From the post season manual:

"Determining district champion when three or more schools tie with the fewest district losses:
1. Head to Head Competition will be used, loser(s) out.
2. If all teams have defeated each other, the team with the highest RPI will be determined to be the district champion and have the opportunity to host.
3. The remaining teams are potential automatic qualifiers."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT