ADVERTISEMENT

war eagle, lakes and siouxland

I don't know much about the Lakes Conference. I believe the Siouxland will have MOC/FV and West Lyon towards the top. In the War Eagle I could see it being anyone's to take this year. I think you will see Remsen St Mary's, Spalding, South O Brien, and Gehlen Catholic towards the top. MMC should have a decent chance as well. IMO

lemars only lost echstaine so they should be lakes favorite

moc and rock valley return alot so they should be siouxland favorites

hms and remsen union have strong pitching. south o'brien has alot of hitting

This post was edited on 2/2 10:35 AM by yankees19

Actually HMS lost 2 starters in their pitching. When Flynn is pitching they will be strong but they need to find some pitchers behind him. When Dorhout pitches they then need to find a catcher. Rumor is their lone senior isn't going out for baseball.

LeMars loses only 1 kid from last years conference championship winning team. Rifles looks to be their ace. Storm Lake will be led by their senior class and have a 3-man pitching staff of Kenkel, Krier and Seaman. Spencer is always well coached and should be a factor, though they are senior-laden as well, just don't seem to have fire power to make a run at the Lakes crown. Spirit Lake loses a lot of talent but is always competitive. That should be the top half of the conference outlook.

As long as LeMars can handle the loss of their ace pitcher Eckstaine, they will be set to repeat as Lakes Champions. LeMars finished 28-7 overall, 14-0 in the Lakes Conference last season before dropping a substate final game by 1 to Bishop Heelan.

Last season, Eckstaine recorded 8 wins last season en route to a .082 ERA.and 62 Strike Outs. The key point here, however, is that he was the lone senior on the Bulldogs team. LeMars returns everyone else and brings up some nice underclassmen players.

Other pitchers from last years team who will be returning:
Colan Borchers - 6 wins, 1.71 ERA, 56 strikeouts.
Parker Rolfes - 5 Wins, 3.12 ERA, 46 strikeouts.
Hunter Rowe - 3 Wins. 1.56 ERA. 24 strikeouts.
Levi Te Brink - 3 Wins. 1.84 ERA. 17 strikeouts.

LeMars also returns most of their statistic leaders. I will link a report from the LeMars Sentinel that listed the top 5 in each category. Just take out Eckstaine from the ones he appears and there you have the returning team.

It should be another fantastic summer in LeMars as their softball team, which had ZERO seniors on last years 28-10, 11-3 Lakes Conference Championship tying team..

Can't wait!

2012 BASEBALL RECAP: Le Mars Community Bulldogs

Dylan Spieler from MMC is the best pitcher in the War Eagle Conference coming back and he is only a junior. They only graduated one senior last year and should definitely be able to make a run this year.

How can you say Spieler is the best pitcher, he was 7-7 last year. Matt Wesseleman was 12-3 and he is only a Junior also and he had a 1.56 ERA.

I agree Spieler is a decent pitcher but his wins come mostly from the bottom half teams in the conference and his losses are against the upper teams in the conference. He puts in a lot of innings and manages quite a few strike outs

Wins: Unity(10-22) Akron Westfield(8-20) HMS(17-10) West Sioux(4-19) West Sioux(4-19) Gehlen(11-16) Remsen Union(13-10)
Losses: Spalding x2(19-12) Remsen St Marys x2(25-9) Gehlen(11-16) Remsen Union(13-10) South O Brien(18-10)

MMC struggled with the sticks last year. That is why spieler finished with a 7-7 record. They also lost 5 one run games. I can tell you this though, you can expect some good things from this team this year. They have a new coach at the helm and everyone is back. Matt Wesselman depends on defense when he pitches and st Mary's won't be very experienced in the field this year. Spieler can blow it by guys and he also will have a veteran defense behind him. The war eagle will definitely be a dog fight this year

Mike McDaniel. First year coach that knows a lot about the game. He'll be a solid coach for the Eagles this year and in the years to come.

So what do you guys think the standing in the War Eagle will be at the end of the year?
Here's mine:
1. MMC
2. South O'Brien
3. Spalding Catholic
4. Hinton
5. Remsen Union
6. Remsen St. Marys
7. Gehlen Catholic
8. Unity Christian
9. HMS
10. West Sioux
11. AW

Overall it should be a very competitive conference this year. I could see teams 1-8 all battling it out for the top spot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT