ADVERTISEMENT

Valley vs. Waukee

Jun 6, 2013
Going to be out of town for this game on Friday. Anyone know if there is a place on either schools website that you can listen to the game via a web cast. I am aware that they are not allowed to stream it, but anything with a play by play that I can find on the internet would be great.

Thanks

Radio stations that are covering the playoffs are allowed to stream their broadcast online. So you just have to find a station that's doing Waukee-Valley, and if they stream online, you're good.

I had no luck finding anything for sure, but 1490 in Indianola covered the Waukee-Southeast Polk game. So they might have this one too.

As an aside, why are radio station websites so lame and hard to navigate? Not to mention outdated, with links and headlines from last summer, for crying out loud.

This link has had the last two Valley playoff games. Not sure on Friday night, but I would think they'll have that one as well...

Stream

You can pick up any radio station on your smart phone or tablet with the tunein radio app. it is a free app too.
This post was edited on 11/5 3:34 PM by L N D

If that doesn't work and you have Twitter on your phone, Valley's Twitter site will have updates on the game. Not as good as play by play but at least you will know what's going on in the game.

Kid...how much did you pay to navigate the lame web site? I'll guess nothing. How much did you pay to not even use the healthcare.gov web site? Your share of over $1B, or $3 for each of 330 million Americans. Allowing for the fact that there are many who don't pay out of that; between $5 and $10, for sure.

I'll guess that you can assess the value of the radio web-site and the value for the healthcare.gov web site based on your own personal experience.

Perhaps the radio station that you are familiar with is well heeled, but a typical radio station would probably buy a "basic" web-site package from a provider.

I would've thought that you were especially aware of radio station business operations as it relates to revenues/expenses and content. It takes a lot of coordinated effort to be the home and away voice of a high school football team.

Wow ... that was an unexpected response.

It just needs more flashing banner ads and headlines about upcoming summer activities (in November) and totally unrelated, cranky political commentary. That would make it perfect.

I'm sorry I called radio station websites "lame." I realize maintaining the sites and keeping the information updated is pretty far down the priority list for many stations - particularly as they are all being swept up by the Clear Channel Cumulus national owner behemoths, who care about nothing but wringing out maximum profits from every station at minimal expense and minimal staffing (hence dropping local high school sports coverage at many, many stations). I don't know HTML, I am not a programmer, I'm not tied into "search engine optimization" and all that jazz. But simple, clean, easy-to-navigate design with easily updated current promotions doesn't have to be impossible. Does it?

By the way, is the healthcare website streaming the Valley-Waukee game, or was there some other point in bringing that up?

My points were made in good humor. The juxtaposition of the radio web site and healthcare.gov was meant to emphasize that expectations are weird...a radio web-site is supposed to be snazzy, while a government web-site that doesn't work is acceptable at any cost.

You might call that political, so be it. My reaction was that it was out of balance to call out a web-site for a radio station that is free access when a web-site for a vital part of American's lives doesn't even work right after a high cost.

I think the IHSAA should have links to all the stations (via the IHSSN) to any radio or TV carrying the game. That's the web-site improvement that is directly tied to revenue and service.

A company's website is the face of the organization. Especially a company whose income is based solely on their ability to attract advertisers. A possible new account comes to your out-dated hard to navigate website, they have an option to find a different company. Healthcare is a commodity, if you need to use the website, like it or not, you will have to use it. And if you don't need it, you won't use it.

Kid's original post is referring to finding high school football games we're interested on radio web-sites. This is a high school football message board. Seems to fit. Turning a high school board into a political diatribe, not a good fit.

Yeah...I didn't mean to make it political. I meant to outline different expectations. I still think that since the IHSAA controls the product through the IHSSN that links should be populated on that site.

As to the radio's web-sites, I think they should do whatever is best for their business.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT