ADVERTISEMENT

Ump in Polk / MVAO

oonfoofoo

Freshman
Apr 24, 2014
I am not sure that the ump in that game knew the difference between the black line on the plate and opposite batters box line!

I guess he called it both ways but how can an ump at state have a strike zone that wide.....

It was that way for 1A and the 2nd game today. It has been like that the past few years I have been watching on the inet. I would argue that they were not on the white line and that the catcher blocks the livestream camera angle. It is no different than the regular season, adjust.

I was there and both myself and a college coach really thought the catcher made it hard on the ump. He was a poor receiver.

Agree. When I ump if a catcher sets up in the middle and turns his shoulder....ball - with a little thought. Sets up outside and turns his shoulder...no way. It looked like there were times when both catchers set up outside early and then rolled their glove and shoulder and he called strikes. I can see if a catcher that is good sets up late....when pitcher starts his movement but these kids were set up straight on black and he called them strikes when the catcher rolled his shoulder.

Just an observation

Originally posted by terrehawk:
I was there and both myself and a college coach really thought the catcher made it hard on the ump. He was a poor receiver.
Completely agree with you on that. I noticed that as well.

I've also seen some pretty poor umping mechanics behind the plate at state over the years.

A few years ago I saw a guy that was calling a game with a D-1 bound pitcher that was touching 92-93. The ump blinked everytime a fastball came down the pipe. Tough to call a pitch when your eyes are closed, even if just for an instant.

My second pet peeve are umps who call the pitch before it crosses the plate; where they anticipate the outcome before they actually see the result of the pitch and then make the call.

In a championship game a few years ago, the ump was consistently calling a strike on a spiked curve ball when it was still 10 feet in front of the plate. The pitch ended up in the dirt in the left batter's box at a short 60 ft. He punched out the last two guys of the game on balls that didn't come close to touching the zone - let alone pass within reach of the batter. Kudos to the pitcher/catcher for gaming this umps bad habit.

Looks like we have a lot of experienced umpires with perfect plate mechanics on this thread!
laugh.r191677.gif

I think I was the only one, at least to this point, pointing out the flaws in a couple of ump's mechanics.

I mean, I always see things perfectly from the cheap seats!

I was at the game(behind home plate)...and watch a number of high school games throughout the summer. Here are my points of evaluation:
1. The strike zone is defined but it's interpretation is and execution is different in every game. That includes mlb, to college, to high school each zone is slightly different and all you can ask for is consistency. I thought the umpire in the np game had a consistent zone.
2. The black is part of the plate and even at the mlb level of umpire evaluation two full balls off the black are considered acceptable miss for umpires. This takes you to the inside of the batters box.
So people might not like what I said but at the high school level I don't think we should expect to see much more from a high school amateur umpire than what we did in the np vs. MV game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT