ADVERTISEMENT

Top Teams in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A in 2014

Jul 31, 2013
Summer is almost here!
Just wondering who are going to be the teams to beat in each class this year.
Here's my picks.
1A: Van Meter, Van Buren, Newman (somehow will reload like they always do), Martensdale-St. Mary's, and Don Bosco.
2A: Beckman, North Polk, Roland-Story, Mount Vernon, and Kuemper Catholic.
3A: Clear Lake, Bishop Heelan, Waverly- Shell Rock, Decorah, and Chariton.
4A: Sioux City East, Des Moines East, Johnston, Dowling Catholic, and Clinton.
* The reason Ankeny didn't make it is because of how they split up and I wasn't sure how their team would look.

I will only speak to 4A and one comment about 3A, I definitely think Heelan will be back to Des Moines this year and I don't think they'll need a coaching mistake to get them there. They only lost 2 players and will readily replace them. They should be VERY good this season.

4A:

Don't know if Sioux City East can stay at that level. They will still have the arms to be dangerous in the post-season, but they lost a LOT of offense with the seniors that graduated.

Des Moines East would be my pick to win it this year. They lost 1 player that played the entire season (James was out most of the year for some reason) It was their catcher, which is a huge position, but he didn't start there every single game, so they must have had an underclassmen they were reasonably comfortable with backing him up.

Johnston lost 8 of 9 starters and all but 30 innings on the mound. Not saying they can't reload, just saying it's tough to put them at the top with so many new faces.

Dowling will be solid. They do lose quite a bit of innings on the mound and 2 of their top 4 hitters, but they return more than anyone else on your list.

Clinton is similar to Dowling in terms of graduation. Losing Collender will be a big blow for them, he had a terrific senior year. They will still have a solid nucleus to rebuild around. I will say I wasn't overly impressed with them in Des Moines though, I know they knocked off Goliath in that first round matchup, but I wouldn't be shocked if they don't make a return trip. They got 7th in their conference during the regular season. They just played their best ball at the right time... maybe they'll catch lightning in a bottle again.

Ankeny Centennial will be the stronger Ankeny school and I'd imagine they will be back with a lot of familiar faces, just wearing different colors.

WDM Valley, Waukee in the West and Iowa City West in the East would be schools I'd expect to see in Des Moines next year as well. Boone can't arrange Substates in a way that allows for Valley, Waukee, Centennial, Johnston, Des Moines East and Dowling to all make it to Principal though....

Van Meter is 2A this year.

I think the Heart of Iowa COnference will have three top teams this season.

Saydel will be one of the top teams in 3A, they return a very strong team that only lost two starters.

Roland-Story return majority of their state tourney team, and North Polk lost Hadaway, but return numerous others that had huge roles on their back to back state tourney runs.

I don't have a dog in the fight, just a fan. But I sincerely hope Regina makes it to state in every sport the remainder of the year, the coach's job depends on it.

Central Iowa 4A schools DM East is the team to beat no question. Others in the mix...Dowling, Valley & Urbandale. The J-Hawks will be solid with Augustine and Lillard. Johnston will be very young...only three or four players with varsity experience. Finishing above .500 would be a very good season.

If Ankeny started McKinney instead Belzer against Clinton.....Clinton doesn't win that game.
With Ankeny Centennial...Will Keaton McKinney play for them this summer?? or will he play until the MLB draft?

Originally posted by IAHawkeyeBaseball:
If Ankeny started McKinney instead Belzer against Clinton.....Clinton doesn't win that game.
With Ankeny Centennial...Will Keaton McKinney play for them this summer?? or will he play until the MLB draft?
2 things here:

Belzer was the 4A pitcher of the year in 2012. It's not like they were putting some random hack on the mound looking ahead to the next round.

If McKinney hadn't given up any runs, that game would have been tied 8-8 after the 6th. Hard to say how things would have played out with McKinney on the mound to begin with, but Ankeny scored enough to erase what Belzer gave up. It was McKinney's runs that kept Clinton in front.

Not saying that game plays out anywhere remotely close to the same with McKinney as the starter, but I think it gets overlooked that Clinton did score 2 big runs on him.

Unfortunately Cid, I am not joking. Honest question, have they filled the bball position? I haven't seen anywhere that they have. Would you honestly take that job based on what happened. If you have a family, would you move them there and take the risk. You could be one injury, lucky bounce, etc from being gone. No thanks. Your job security is in the hands of 15-18 year old kids. You could coach them up, they could bust their butts, but in the end - sometimes things just don't work out.

Those of us on the western side of the state could use some context... or maybe it's just me. Either way... context?

I didn't think you were joking. Your comment really isn't indicitive of how the programs have been run in the past and probably not how they will be run going forward. I don't believe the basketball position has been filled yet. I would need to do some homework on any coaching postion before I were to take it. A solid core group of players returning including one of the top players in the class, a school that has shown an ability to support multiple sports on a high level so there would be some things that would lead me there. As far as one injury, lucky bounce, job security in the hands of 15-18 year olds well you just described quite a few programs. As a coach I would be confident in my ability to succeed in multiple environments. If you have additional insights in to why this would be such a horrible job to take please share. The surface of the situation is a coach who just finished his best season at 19-4 was let go. It doesn't look good and I am not sure that it was handled correctly. I am fairly certain that there were some other circumstances that led to this decision so please share those with us.

I would add in 1-A Remsen St Marys who returns almost everyone from a state tourney team and also LeMars Gehlen Catholic who combined with traditional powerhouse Spalding Catholic. They should have a great chance to make it to Des Moines.

Cid,
Don't want anyone to think I am a Regina hater, quite the contrary. I respect what they have done in fball, am in awe of it actually. I would bet the kids are fantastic, hard working, etc. Sounds like the parents are supportive and want ALL the programs to succeed. I have no additional info other than what you posted. 19-4 and get fired is tough to understand. Both AD and Coach had an opportunity to present their side, and we only got the coach's. If their is more to explain, no one has come forward to do so. I am left with one side of the story and a 19-4 coach who was fired. I am all for setting the bar high, but it sounds like they had jumped over a pretty high bar. That is all I am saying. I would want some stipulations in my contract if I am to uproot my family and make a big career change. Just one man's philosophy.

I would put Harlan in that conversation in 3A. They put 3 eighth graders on the field at State and they only lost 2 seniors. I would put that 8th grade catcher they have up against any catcher I saw last year.

If everyone plays for the Wildcats this summer, West Lyon is a legit threat for the season three-peat (football, basketball, baseball).

In 1A, I'll be surprised if Martensdale makes much noise. They've had an incredible run, but they've lost basically everybody but Kraber, and I don't see an '09 Westphal/Tyler Peterson-like run from them. Twin Cedars and Newman have to be the top two, IMO. That semifinal had a championship-feel to it, and Twin Cedars brings back almost every key piece of the puzzle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT