ADVERTISEMENT

Sumner Fredricksburg

OHS4life

Freshman
Sep 21, 2001
Couple questions..

Was this SF's last year in the Upper Iowa Conference or when are they leaving for the NICL?

When do Starmont and Ed-Co join the UIC?

Are North Fayette and Valley merging for all sports or is it just football?

A lot of upcoming changes to the conference.

Originally posted by OHS4life:

Couple questions..

Was this SF's last year in the Upper Iowa Conference or when are they leaving for the NICL?

When do Starmont and Ed-Co join the UIC?

Are North Fayette and Valley merging for all sports or is it just football?

A lot of upcoming changes to the conference.
This coming school year (2013-2014) will be S-F's last in the Upper Iowa Conference before leaving for the NICL.

Starmont and Ed-Co begin competing in the UIC this coming school year (2013-2014).

I hadn't heard about the changes to the UIC, any idea why SF is getting out and Starmont and Ed-Co are getting in?

Not sure why they are leaving, but I think it's to their benefit. The UIC isn't that tough when it all boils down to it and SF seems to be more athletic and in the top half of the conference for every sport. They'll get better competition in the NICL anyways. Not only that, but I don't think they belonged in the conference to begin with when they are so close to the Waterloo area. They are closer to the smaller schools around there than they are to the ones in the UIC.

SF is within a reasonable distance of the NICL schools and the UIC continues to see diminishing school sizes, which is diminishing the amount of teams in the league. Starmont and Ed-Co allow those smaller schools to play in a league with other small schools and replaced the vacancies of Central Elkader and West Central. However, Maq Valley and North Linn couldn't join because they would cause a 2 division conference. I think SF realizes the South/East expansion and the NICL is pretty established on where it will be located, so they bounced.

Did not hear about Sumner joining the NICL, Im taking it they will join the East side, who will be switching over to the West side of the conference when that happens or will they go with 9 on the East side?

2 years ago...

South Tama joined the West side making 8 teams.

Cedar Falls NU dropped its sports programs dropping the East to 7 teams.

This is a simple addition to make the league balanced and honestly a good move for SF IMO. A little more travel, but better competition and some bigger schools for the most part.

This post was edited on 7/13 11:14 PM by maxstabs13

Waterloo Columbus is joining the conference this fall, which will make it 8 and 8. South Tama will be moving to the WAMAC after next school year. Someone will have to move to the West, but my understanding is that on ONE team wants to move. It may be that Gladbrook-Reinbeck moves to the East and D-NH and A-P move to the West. Just one option. Another option is to have Columbus play in the East this year and move to the West the next.

That would be interesting if GR wants to go to the East side what would be coming to the West. Pretty equal conference enrollment wise once the moves take place, mostly small 2a and large 1a schools (for most sports that is).

Originally posted by maxstabs13:
SF is within a reasonable distance of the NICL schools and the UIC continues to see diminishing school sizes, which is diminishing the amount of teams in the league. Starmont and Ed-Co allow those smaller schools to play in a league with other small schools and replaced the vacancies of Central Elkader and West Central. However, Maq Valley and North Linn couldn't join because they would cause a 2 division conference. I think SF realizes the South/East expansion and the NICL is pretty established on where it will be located, so they bounced.
I have been away from the area for 7-8 years, so I am behind the times for sure. What has happened to Central Elkader and West Central? Also, I see on a "UIC" website that "Eastern Allamakee" is listed as a member school, the link directs to a Kee page. Is Kee simply changing its name, merging with someone else, or????

Central Elkader and West Central have not been able to field varsity teams in some sports in recent years. So they have combined programs with other schools in order to continue to give their students the opportunity to compete in those sports.

For example, Central has combined with MFL Mar-Mac's wrestling team for the last 4 or 5 years, and combined with Clayton Ridge for baseball for at least the past 3 seasons. West Cenrtral has not had a baseball team for several seasons.

The school district is called the "Eastern Allamakee School District"; the high school that is part of that school district is called "Kee High". At least that is how I understand it ...

Thanks for the info superbee. Too bad to hear that the UIC is dwindling a bit, but I know it is happening to schools and conferences all over the state...

West Central kids play sports at Oelwein as far as I know, but maybe a few play at NF or SF?

I know Central is playing with CR for baseball. Not sure if they will join for football or basketball soon.

Valley is joining NF, so that drops another out.

I could see Postville eventually consolidating as well.

MFL is really the only decent sized school left.

Not sure what Kee will do if they decrease in size. Maybe Waukon?

If TV and SW decrease than I am guessing Decorah and NH will become options.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT