ADVERTISEMENT

Substate locations

OHS4life

Freshman
Sep 21, 2001
Does anyone else find it a little unfair that some teams (Newman and St. Mary's Remsen) get to play on their own field for not just all of districts, but substate as well? To me, that gives them an advantage in so many ways. I have a hard enough time understanding why teams get home field advantage for district finals, but to play on your own field when a state berth is on the line? I'm not trying to take anything away from either teams talent, but making it to state is a little easier if you're playing on your own field the whole way.

Schools get a card asking if they want to host. If no other schools want to host what are they supposed to do? The host school is still responsible for getting the field ready. If they aren't playing are they going to want to do still do field work?

There are schools in higher classes that offer to host for the lower classes and I do know this for a fact. Even if the Newman game was played at Mason City High or the St. Marys game was at Remsen Union it'd make a difference... I just dont like the fact that some teams get the full ride on their home field. You can't tell me that the state couldn't find one or two more neutral fields for at least the substate games. And yes if some schools realized how much of a positive thing it is to host that kind of game, getting the field ready shouldn't play a big factor.

I'll award myself with a point since that's all you could come back with... Who cares, my point is there are plenty of surrounding options I don't think it should be allowed. The state does a crappy enough job with district assignments then they go and do that.

That is two years in a row for st Mary's to host all the way through. It's definitely not right.

It's not just small schools it can happen in larger classes also. Benton will be playing on their home field for a shot at state for example. District and substate locations are chosen well in advance and if the home team wins through yes they can play on their home field. It may give them an advantage but does that mean the teams with the best records should be excluded from hosting because they are likely to run the gamut that does not seem fair either. These schools have put in the time and worked on their facilities and many have the highest number of fans in attendance at the average game, it is a reward of sorts and you still have to earn your victory to make it happen. The other option as you mentioned would be to move all substate games to a school in a different class therefore no home team could win through. To answer someone else's point yes they have to prep the field even if they lose and most do so graciously. The added revenue from concessions is still motivating and if the did not they would probably be less likely to be given the chance to host in the future again. Last year we had home field advantage for both districts and substate but lost to Benton in the district finals and still hosted substate even though we were no longer playing. I would also question how large of an advantage it really gives a team it is not like a basketball court where a team may be used to specific lighting conditions, noise factors or the way a rim responds. It is an outdoor facility thus mother nature change conditions for both teams at her whim and you use your own equipment and fan base follow the team.

Remsen and gehlen should not host any playoff game. they don't have visiting bull pens. statefavors them. fields are not better than any others,.

It's a huge advantage to play on your home field. All baseball fields are different. The mound is different, the area in foul territory is different. The way a ground ball comes through the infield grass, or off the dirt lip. If you play 20-25 games on that field, practice on that field everyday, you are comfortable with it, you know what it does. Visiting team likely has played at most 1-2 games on that field during the year. It shouldn't be allowed for the best or the worst team to host a sub-state game. If you are playing in that sub-state you should not be allowed to host. It's that simple. You should not be rewarded because you have the best attendance numbers. It falls to the same old argument that decisions are made, not with the best interests of the players and the game, but with the best interests of lining the pockets with $$ for the gate entry. I bet you those same host schools if they had to travel to a neutral site would bring a similar number of fans. It's a sub-state game of course you are going to go cheer on your boys. I'd drive 300 miles to support them.

The Point still is that the substate hosts are determined well before the end of the season the only way you can avoid a home team from ever playing on a home field is to have all substate games hosted by a school in another class. There is no need to move them 300 miles, Des Moines is one game away already. You would know the two districts you could find a different size school in the area with good facilities with no problem and as long as you leave the games at night you will not loose much attendance from anyone.

My point on the 300 miles only was that people will travel to watch their team. Every class has 8 substates. 1A and 2A were both playing at the same time. Get a 3A or 4A host site and play both the 1A and 2A substate at the same location. It can be made to work.

I think the top team in whatever district should be given first choice as to whether they want to host or not and for how many rounds. Second seed, next choice, etc. As for Classes 1A, 2A and 3A, it would be fairer for teams playing in SubState to play at a neutral location at the next class up.

IMO, there is a pretty simple solution to this...just use the same system that basketball does. The higher seeded team hosts in the first couple rounds, but all district final and substate games are played at neutral sites. This is known by all players, coaches, and fans well before the start of tournaments, and it's worked out very well over the years.

I agree with the OP...no team should be given the obvious advantage of being able to host every single game leading up to the state tournament.

The host schools may be picked well in advance but there should be something lined up where if they make it that far the game is moved to a neutral site. Like last week, the Class 1A substate 3 game was to be played in New Hampton, but New Hampton won Saturday as well so they changed the 1A location. Why couldn't the 1A teams play at NH and NH's game be moved to a neutral site? I can see where people may argue that it's an incentive for the players/coaches that if they keep winning they get to play on their own field, but what does the opposing team who likely played 0 home games through all of districts get? Nothing. To me, it is the same as playing on someone's home basketball court and there are some good reasons listed above why I think that.

It's not unfair, it's a complete joke that they get to play at home in the deciding game to make it to the state tournament. Something needs to be done. Come on smokey Barr.

Back in the day when we hosted a substate final. I dont remember it exactly, but it looked something like this... 830 warm up. BP at 9 am, infielders do hands drills and OF take some flyballs at 945. Team breakfast at 1030. Chill and sleep till 3. Field at 330 for BP. Go into the teachers lounge at 430, change out of sweaty clothes, watch baseball tonight reruns and relax, maybe a card game in AC. Showers open if anybody needs to cool down...fruit plates and water bottles plentiful...it was like 110 degrees. 515 - coaches come in and announce the visitors have arrived ( off the hot bus), time to get uniforms put together. Video changes to a copy of a previous substate final, lots of pacing. 5;50- Lights off. Play our team song ("Like a Rock" was ours), emotions are high, some are crying, all are pumped. Coach says a final word or 2, and we walk out of the teachers lounge as a swarm, over the hill with "Back in Black" cued on the field system. Huge, vocal crowd, emotional win, huge dog pile. Big advantage? I think it was for us.

Remsen fields have two bullpen areas. You may not of saw it but it was in the cage. AND on top of that they tell the opposing coach that they my use the 3rd base bullpen and they choose remsenstmarys for host because seating parking and concession stand same with Newman. Know your facts before you post something stupid.

Everybody glossed over it, but I agree with Eleven....why not use the same system as basketball for Substate/Regional final games? Have the sites predetermined, and if the "wrong teams" win (meaning a potential host school) move things around - why is this so hard for baseball, but can be done for basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT