ADVERTISEMENT

State Tournament 2021

rc1963

Freshman
Aug 17, 2018
So, the conflict with dates at Principal Park was big news in March....

and I can't find anything about a decision now. Has anyone heard anything?

I must be looking in all the wrong places.

Still no official announcement yet.. I'm getting anxious myself. It's been kind of fun to see where people "think" or "want" it to be - but nothing for sure.

My guess in waterloo. Enough room for social distancing and can be a decent field with some work. Just hope it isn't on high school fields in des moines especially on turf.

Just my opinion with absolutely no inside knowledge, but I think they will have the tournament at either Johnston or SEP. Plenty of hotels, parking and keeping the tournament in the Des Moines area are why I think the Association will pick one of those sites.

*Principal, Quad Cities, Burlington, Clinton and Sioux City are all out due to each team having home games during the last week of July.

*Waterloo (5,000 capacity): The Bucks are on the road July 22-30.
Possible schedule: 1A on Friday (23rd), 2A on Saturday (24th), 3A on Monday (26th), 4A on Tuesday (27th), 1A/2A semis on Wednesday (28th), 3A/4A semis on Thursday (29th), and championship games on Friday (30th).

*Cedar Rapids (5,300 capacity): The Kernels are on the road July 26-Aug. 2.
The only way to make that work is to (a) play 5 games per day M-F with title games on Saturday (31st); or (b) play the title games on Sunday (1st); or (c) play the title games on Monday (2nd).

I think there's also a faction that wants Carroll to be in play, whether it's simply nostalgia or having an option in the western half of the state.

*Principal, Quad Cities, Burlington, Clinton and Sioux City are all out due to each team having home games during the last week of July.

*Waterloo (5,000 capacity): The Bucks are on the road July 22-30.
Possible schedule: 1A on Friday (23rd), 2A on Saturday (24th), 3A on Monday (26th), 4A on Tuesday (27th), 1A/2A semis on Wednesday (28th), 3A/4A semis on Thursday (29th), and championship games on Friday (30th).

*Cedar Rapids (5,300 capacity): The Kernels are on the road July 26-Aug. 2.
The only way to make that work is to (a) play 5 games per day M-F with title games on Saturday (31st); or (b) play the title games on Sunday (1st); or (c) play the title games on Monday (2nd).

I think there's also a faction that wants Carroll to be in play, whether it's simply nostalgia or having an option in the western half of the state.
I don’t believe that the high school rules allow for Sunday events.

Just my opinion with absolutely no inside knowledge, but I think they will have the tournament at either Johnston or SEP. Plenty of hotels, parking and keeping the tournament in the Des Moines area are why I think the Association will pick one of those sites.
Seems like those options would keep geography out of the battle. I think they lack a little seating, but I think they could fix that with the addition of some portable seating. Not as nice as a minor league stadium, but it gets you a place to watch your kid.

1A and 2A in Carroll (Merchants Park), July 26-29
3A and 4A in Iowa City (Banks Field/UI), July 28-31

1A and 2A in Carroll (Merchants Park), July 26-29
3A and 4A in Iowa City (Banks Field/UI), July 28-31
So some of the Twitter comments I've seen seem to say this solution is a "Screw you little guys" message. I'm sure it's not seen that way by the crowd that was pushing for Carroll.

Face it, there was no perfect solution. The perfect solution was Principal and that was gone. So, this looks like a pretty palatable solution, including striking somewhat of a geographical balance. Bottomline, is it good for the kids? I think it's pretty good. I guess it's up to Carroll to put on a good show now and prove those who said it wasn't a good solution wrong.

So some of the Twitter comments I've seen seem to say this solution is a "Screw you little guys" message.

Given that it's Twitter, a fair number of those people are probably assholes.

I don't know that Carroll really has anything to prove, though. They had the tournament there for a decade, so obviously whatever they did was good enough to keep hosting.

It's going to be a let down not to play in Principal Park. Being a fan of a small school power, going to Carroll is a little disappointing if there were in fact other Minor League stadiums that could have been used. Nothing against Carroll or Marshalltown, but when the Tournament moved to Principal Park it really did have a big time feel.

In the big scheme of life, this doesn't mean much and I'm sure the teams that win in Carroll will be just as happy as if they had won in Des Moines.

Playing 3 games in 3 or 4 days is going to be tough on some of these small schools. Could be some very high scoring games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT