ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason 1A rankings

GoEagles23

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
I figured we may as well have some fun with just 2 weeks until practice or camps starting

1 IC Regina - as if it can be anybody else until a 1A team actually beats them
2 Dike NH - Johnson and friends will be solid
3 AHST Avoca - just because I want a west side team here and they are pretty good
4 West Branch - losing Lamont and Giese will hurt, but Lenoch is a beast
5 Pella Christian - may be 2nd best team too bad they play in Regina district
6 SC Calhoun - Air Henkenius is back
7 Ogden - Lentz and Good are a good 1-2 punch as any in 1A
8 S Winn - they have something going up there now. They'll rebuild.
9 Madrid - Santi Claus avg 14.4 yd per carry. That's PER CARRY 14 YARDS
10 Hinton - no Small task to stop their pass attack

What do you guys think? Im just bored and wanted to type something.

Oops thats my bad on Good. Was thinking he was a junior. Maybe if I would have looked at Quik Stats more it would have helped. hahaha

Here are my rankings:

1. Regina
2. Pella Christian
3. Dike NH
4. South Winn
5. Madrid
6. West Branch
7. SC Calhoun
8. West Lyon
9. AHST Avoca
10. St. Edmund

West Branch at 4 or 6 is WAY too high.

We have to replace the following:

Jacob Giese - all state both ways; now playing at Iowa
Jon St John - a 3-year OL starter; now playing at Iowa Central
Matt McIlrath - an all-district LB and 2 year starting center
Lucas Lamont - 2nd most passing yards in WB history in 2 years
Mason Hays - a 2 year starter at DB and WR
Sam Aspelmeier - a solid WR last season and placeholder for 2 years

We return some nice skill position players, but that is a lot of beef to replace.
I think WB will challenge for the D5 crown with Alburnett and North Cedar, but it will not be an easy road.
By week 4, we should see what the OL is all about. There are some nice returns there in Drew Finnegan (will be a 3 year starter and all district last year) and Ryan Grosvenor (will be a 3rd year starter). But a great deal of question marks exist.

WB more like a 9 or 10 ranking, at best.

10. St. Edmund
I would like to take this opportunity, just to clarify, as of July 24th in the year 2015, that with all the technology we have available to us and the fact that this school has been in the public eye for some time now over the last decade plus.....that all mispronunciations of St. Edmond as St. Edmonds or St. Edmund are in fact intentional/on purpose.

Just to make sure people are aware that it is on purpose, is all. So what I'm saying is that anytime henceforth that you see someone write St. Edmonds or St. Edmund, it was intentional, regardless of reason. No pet peeve or anything. I'm just pointing out that this is what people do so that others understand. That is all.

BUT should it really be St. Edmund? If you do a google search "who was St. Edmond?" it will only come back with St. Edmund. So I still gotta ask, "who was St. Edmond?"

One way to end the confusion plus help mask the stigma of being a private school in a large (for Iowa) town could simply be to start going by "EDDIES". ;)

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
Actually maybe Fort Dodge St Edmond also had a wealthy financial supporter. I did find this:

The name of the Patron Saint of St Edmond Catholic Church is St. Edmund. Edmund is correctly spelled with a "u". However, the name was changed in Lafayette, Louisiana to "Edmond" -- which is the French version of Edmund and in honor of Mr. Edmond Orgeron, who was the owner of the land on which the present church was built.

I guess that at least for Mr. Edmond Orgeron that if you make a big enough contribution to the church you can indirectly earn your name a saintly status.

Last edited:
DT , How will the Gaels be this year? If my memory is correct they lost at least 7or 8 starters this year? Probably not top ten worthy even though Otool will be back , he will have many new faces up front. It will be interesting how they will do.

A quick look at some of the teams mentioned:

Regina:

- 13-1 in 2014
- Lose 21 SRs
- Lose 80% of Total O
- Lose 6 of top 8 tacklers

West Branch:

- 10-1 in 2014
- Lose 14 SRs
- Lose 44.7% of Total O
- Lose 5 of top 8 tackles

St. Edmond:

- 12-1 in 2014
- Lose 13 SRs
- Lose 39.1% of Total O

West Lyon:

- 12-2 in 2014
- Lose 18 SRs
- Lose 83% of Total O

DNH:

- 9-3 in 2014
- Lose 14 SRs
- Lose 31.1% of Total O
- Lose 5 of top 8 tacklers

South Winn:

- 12-1 in 2014
- Lose 10 SRs
- Lose 48.4% of Total O
- Lose 4 of top 8 tacklers

Madrid:

- 6-4 in 2014
- Lose 9 SRs
- Lose 39% of Total O
- Lose 3 of top 8 tacklers

Pella Christian:

- 6-4 in 2014
- Lose 9 SRs
- Lose 5.5% of Total O
- Lose 4 of top 8 tacklers

South Central Calhoun:

- 8-4 in 2014
- Lose 9 SRs
- Lose 8.2% of Total O
- Lose 3 of top 8 tacklers

AHST Avoca:

- 8-3 in 2014
- Lose 5 SRs
- Lose 0.8% of Total O
- Lose 2 of top 8 tacklers

Numbers like that are great, but don't take in to account what is returning on the offensive line, I believe St. Edmond lost almost all their line, and while O'Tool is a great back, it won't be quite as easy for him.

I will be really surprised if St Ed's finishes any better than 4-5 this year. Their schedule is going to be tough.

Numbers like that are great, but don't take in to account what is returning on the offensive line, I believe St. Edmond lost almost all their line, and while O'Tool is a great back, it won't be quite as easy for him.

Reactions: stickman80
Looks like Regina should move down the list with losses like that.

I wouldn't count on that…Watched Regina Sophomores take Xavier's Sophs down to the wire in a great game last year. They will reload. Xavier scored late to win it but it was a good game.

St. Ed's has 15 non-freshmen players coming back is what I was told including O'Toole. Now with that said with a player look O'Toole can still take a team like that to 5-4/6-3 record and a spot in the playoffs but that's easier said than done. This year I think we see if O'Toole is the player that will do anything to win, if he is that might help him recruiting wise as well.

St. Ed's has 15 non-freshmen players coming back is what I was told including O'Toole. Now with that said with a player look O'Toole can still take a team like that to 5-4/6-3 record and a spot in the playoffs but that's easier said than done. This year I think we see if O'Toole is the player that will do anything to win, if he is that might help him recruiting wise as well.
Is 15 enough to field a team? How many are lineman?

Here is something interesting about St. Eds roster. They may have 15 non-freshman players returning but if you look at last years Quick Stat roster they only had a combined 11 JR and SO listed. It is possible they may not have listed all their SO last year (which only numbered 3) but they did list a lot of FR. Why would they not list SO yet list their FR?

If the answer was because they knew some of the JR and SO were below the level of all the FR they listed and wouldn't play varsity last year; I wouldn't think they would get much help from those kids this year.

If they do have 15 non freshman (SR and JR this year) they probably are including some new faces this year that either didn't go out last year OR are new to St. Eds this year.

Can you fill us in Dark Thonder? (sorry...I just couldn't resist)

Last edited:
It's possible Thunder but his wording seemed (at least to me) to indicate otherwise.

If the 15 kids returning includes last years FR that isn't a good sign especially for a program that just made their first 2 trips ever to the dome and should be riding a high.

15 total kids returning from last year would mean that 25% of last years underclassmen are not on this years squad.

Here is something interesting about St. Eds roster. They may have 15 non-freshman players returning but if you look at last years Quick Stat roster they only had a combined 11 JR and SO listed. It is possible they may not have listed all their SO last year (which only numbered 3) but they did list a lot of FR. Why would they not list SO yet list their FR?

If the answer was because they knew some of the JR and SO were below the level of all the FR they listed and wouldn't play varsity last year; I wouldn't think they would get much help from those kids this year.

If they do have 15 non freshman (SR and JR this year) they probably are including some new faces this year that either didn't go out last year OR are new to St. Eds this year.

Can you fill us in Dark Thonder? (sorry...I just couldn't resist)
That was the info I was given, I don't live close enough to FDSE where I can get full info.

We have been hearing different rumors and I say only RUMORS in the area that St. Ed's might have a problem fielding a varsity due to very low numbers. Anyone else heard anything???
Have heard 13, 14, 15 non freshman kids. Very little linemen. All rumors of course. Then hear that they will be fine and have plenty of kids.

I'm sure SE will be able to field a Varsity Squad. They won't be shy at giving freshmen spots if they are the best available. No way would not fielding a varsity team be an option for them. The 3 big questions could be:

3. What impact would that have on their non varsity squads?
2. How many wins will they be able to manage on varsity especially as the season wears on?
1. How many kids has SEXC1 got running CC?

3 - none
2 - I think SE will probably go 3-6 or 4-5, but O'Tool will still be a beast.
1 - The SE CC team might have numbers, but they should also have a down year. Not much talent returning from last year's team.

I'm sure SE will be able to field a Varsity Squad. They won't be shy at giving freshmen spots if they are the best available. No way would not fielding a varsity team be an option for them. The 3 big questions could be:

3. What impact would that have on their non varsity squads?
2. How many wins will they be able to manage on varsity especially as the season wears on?
1. How many kids has SEXC1 got running CC?

Has St. Edmund s been playing full JV, fresh/soph schedules the past few years? Are the class sizes down or just a lack of boys in the grades?

No JV is what I'm hearing. Given the lack of non-freshmen/upperclassmen, that probably makes sense. They've had JV and 9th grade teams the last few years as far as I know. If they didn't in a given year over the past few, it most likely would've been a freshman team. Middle school numbers are pretty good and should stay that way (hopefully).

St. Eds just isn't a big enough school anymore where you're often gonna get more than 15-16 kids at max out for a given sport per class, starting at the MS level, and with the way things are, you're naturally going to lose a couple over time, as they make their own decisions about what they want to do and what sports they want to play. The school is certainly trying to encourage more participation though.

This is how many seniors SE has had each of the past 4 years (they'll lose 8 after 2015):
2014- 13....went 12-1
2013- 7.....went 13-1
2012- 12.....went 9-2
2011- 9.....went 9-2; (5-4 the prior season)

No JV is what I'm hearing. Given the lack of non-freshmen/upperclassmen, that probably makes sense. They've had JV and 9th grade teams the last few years as far as I know. If they didn't in a given year over the past few, it most likely would've been a freshman team. Middle school numbers are pretty good and should stay that way (hopefully).

St. Eds just isn't a big enough school anymore where you're often gonna get more than 15-16 kids at max out for a given sport per class, starting at the MS level, and with the way things are, you're naturally going to lose a couple over time, as they make their own decisions about what they want to do and what sports they want to play. The school is certainly trying to encourage more participation though.

This is how many seniors SE has had each of the past 4 years (they'll lose 8 after 2015):
2014- 13....went 12-1
2013- 7.....went 13-1
2012- 12.....went 9-2
2011- 9.....went 9-2; (5-4 the prior season)

I have 20 signed up from last May's meeting. 10 of which are seniors, 3 juniors, 2 sophs, and 5 incoming freshman. Our BEDS is down 20 students from last year's BEDS, but our numbers are coming back up. Thx for the confidence in our team MtDew_Fever:)

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Hi Spook!!! Glad to see you decided to return to the land of the living!

I wonder where Mansun NW Webster's BEDS are at?

(People don't realize it but Mansun had their name legally changed back during the Charles Manson thing....can't say I blame them).

Talking about a team that makes the dome, seems like a subject that applies to 1A football, feel free to start a subject to talk about.

Sorry to change the subject away from FDSE, but I am intrigued by this D7 race and it doesn't appear on paper that FDSE will have the personnel to win it. Who does Ogden have coming back this year? Is Madrid ready to break out of their recent "slump"? Who are SCC's star returnees? I used to live in Boone, IA and followed Madrid and Ogden closely. I am told by sources I will not name that Madrid has been struggling lately due to kids not getting in the weight room as they had in the past. I'm also told that Ogden's resurgence is a direct result of their kids working hard in the offseason. Is there any truth to this?

Sorry to change the subject away from FDSE, but I am intrigued by this D7 race and it doesn't appear on paper that FDSE will have the personnel to win it. Who does Ogden have coming back this year? Is Madrid ready to break out of their recent "slump"? Who are SCC's star returnees? I used to live in Boone, IA and followed Madrid and Ogden closely. I am told by sources I will not name that Madrid has been struggling lately due to kids not getting in the weight room as they had in the past. I'm also told that Ogden's resurgence is a direct result of their kids working hard in the offseason. Is there any truth to this?

I think that D7 will be brutally good again this year, but some different teams at the top. I can say that Madrid has been "down" the past couple of years not just because of weight room attendance (symptom) but an overall culture or attitude problem. I am very optimistic that this issue has been resolved and I can share that Madrid's off-season weight room attendance this year has been phenomenal. From my perspective Ogden is losing a bunch from a very talented senior class although Lentz is a great returning RB. The key for Ogden is if they have someone to replace Good at QB. He had an excellent command of their passing game and it made it very difficult to concentrate on stopping the run.

I am sure that I am somewhat biased, but I see the D7 champion coming down to Madrid and South Central Calhoun this year. SCC had a very young team last year and their QB is an outstanding athlete. D7 is loaded with talent (at least one standout on almost every team) and it should be another fun year. Hopefully the injury bug stays from away, unlike last year.

Reactions: oldernotwiser
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT