ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions For Next Year

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
I figured that with less then a month until practice starts I would make some predictions about the upcoming season. There are a lot of variables that could effect these and are just for discussion.

*Please West Branch and Regina fans DO NOT turn this into a thread of bickering back and forth between your two fan bases.

District 1

1. West Sioux

2. West Lyon

3. Western Christian

4. Unity Christian

5. Sibley Ocheyedan

6. Emmetsburg

This is really West Sioux’s district to lose, West Lyon is a very good team but I just don’t think that they will be able to keep pace with West Sioux. After the top two there is a big drop off, I went with Western Christian with their quality coaching staff, and return some talent, Unity Christian and Sibley both return quite a bit, but I don’t think it is enough to move them up in this meat grinder of a district, and that leaves Emmetsburg, no doubt they will have a quality team but they lost almost everything, they could really surprise but this is where I would start them.

District 2

1. South Central Calhoun

2. Pocahontas Area

3. Ogden

4. South Hamilton

5. Madrid

6. Eagle Grove

South Central Calhoun is a run- away favorite to me they return so much from a very good team I think they should have a chance to challenge for a state title, I put Pocahontas in 2nd but it is a really close call with Ogden, both return a solid core but I think Pocahontas returns a bit more and won the matchup last year, South Hamilton lost too much to start them higher, Madrid and Eagle Grove round out the district both had very disappointing years last year with Eagle Grove not playing many games, I’ll put Madrid in 5th due to their history but both will struggle.

District 3

1. Osage

2. A-P

3. Lake Mills

4. Sumner Fredricksburg

5. Denver

6. North Butler

I am fairly confident in my first place pick and my sixth place pick, Osage loses their all state qb but returns just about everyone else, I think they find a signal caller by district play and talk the district rather easily, after that I think it is a toss- up, I put AP in 2nd as they return a nice core but I am not confident in that pick, Lake Mills probably returns the most of the teams 2-5 put I’m not sure if that trumps AP’s history and tradition, I put Sumner Fred next, they could surprise me but I think they lose too much to finish higher, and Denver I see struggling a bit while rebuilding, finally North Butler I feel is just a complete mess and I kind of think it is district wide, they are replacing about every head coach, so I don’t think they will have a very enjoyable season.

District 4

1. West Branch

2. Cascade

3. Bellevue

4. Beckman

5. Northeast

6. North Cedar

This is West Branch’s district to lose, their main challengers lost a ton off of last’s years teams so West Branch should be able to navigate their way through the district rather easily if they are able to find an able qb but they do return most of their core pieces off of last years playoff team. I put Cascade 2nd as I think they return the most of the true challengers from last year, Bellvue lost a ton but they have really had it rolling lately so it will be interesting to see if they reload, I think Beckman will take a step back as they relied on a bunch of seniors last year, but I am interested to see what success their coaching staff brings. Northeast returns most of their team from last year so think could surprise but I just don’t see them taking that leap. North Cedar should also be improved but I just don’t see them jumping anyone in district.

District 5

1. Mediapolis

2. Sigourney Keota

3. Wapello

4. Wilton

5. Van Buren

6. Columbus

Mediapolis returns a ton from a playoff team they should be able to navigate through the district and win the title, I put Sigourney Keota in 2nd as they were young last year I would say my biggest concern with them is that they had their way with bad teams but really struggled to compete with quality teams I wish they would have been more competitive but I still think this this the right spot for them. Wapello could sneak into the 2 spot with what they return but I think right now this is the correct spot with what they return. Wilton was so senior heavy last year that I think they fall below some of the more experienced teams, but they have had good success the last decade or so, so they might surprise, Van Buren and Columbus will both struggle, Van Buren won last year so I will put them in 5th.

District 6

1. Dike New Hartford

2. Regina

3. North Linn

4. South Hardin

5. Jesup

6. East Marshall

This is a district that I struggled with more then I think most people think would, Dike is my favorite and I do think they should be, but while they return quite a few skilled players they lose a lot up front, I’ll still keep them in 1st because they were so far ahead of everyone last year. I put Regina in 2nd but they is because of the coaching staff and Ashton Cook at QB they also lose a lot I trust that they will find pieces to put around him but I am not as sold on the Regals as I though I would be and their brutal schedule could kill them come playoff time as they could be a top 10 team that doesn’t get in, North Linn returns quite a bit and actually could challenge for a RPI playoff berth but I think would have to beat Regina to get in and I am not sure they are at that level, South Hardin is a team that could surprise as they return a lot and could get over a hump but I still have to put them here until they prove themselves. Jesup and East Marshall I think will both struggle to compete but Jesup is in a much better place then East Marshall.

District 7

1. Pella Christian

2. Woodward Granger

3. I35

4. Colfax Mingo

5. Pleasantville

6. Woodward Academy

Pella Christian gets the nod although I see 4 teams that could really challenge in the end, I just think that the Eagles find a way to win the district although it will be tough. After that I see Woodward Granger in the #2 spot, they had some close losses last year from a young team, I35 does return a very nice core but losing their rb really hurts, Colfax Mingo could have an extremely good passing game I just don’t know if they are a complete enough team to move up, Pleasantville will be in a rebuild mode and Woodward Academy is a team that will never have the continuity to really compete.

District 8

1. Van Meter

2. Mount Ayr

3. Panorama

4. ACGC

5. Clarinda

6. West Central Valley

Van Meter has been a well oiled machine for the last 7 or so years and I don’t see that stopping they return a nice core off a team that was a dome team that was a true state title contender last year. Mount Ayr returns a ton of talent, they would be a district favorite in many 1A districts, Panorama is honestly a very unlucky team, to me they have a very talented team, they are just behind a power house and another team that I just think is better then they are, after the top heavy top 3 I think you have 2 teams that are trying to find themselves in ACGC and Clarinda both teams that seem like quality programs but just don’t have the horses to compete yet, and finally West Central Valley I see struggling this year again.

District 9

1. Treynor

2. East Sac County

3. Underwood

4. Missouri Valley

5. Cherokee

6. MVAOCOU

This is the definition of a toss up district. Treynor won it last year, but if you look at scores they were not a dominate team in doing so, even with that being said I put them on top to start with what they return, however the top 4 teams in this district in my eyes could all easily win the district with what they return as all were very young last year, Cherokee was honestly a young team last year that should be improved. MVAOCOU has the most questions and struggled last year so I see them in 6th place again. But overall this is a district that I think could go a bunch of different ways.

Playoff Teams

District Champs

1. West Sioux

2. SCC

3. Osage

4. West Branch

5. Mediapolis

6. DNH

7. Pella Christian

8. Van Meter

9. Treynor

At Large (Hard to truly predict the RPI)

1. West Lyon

2. Sigourney Keota

3. Woodward Granger

4. Mount Ayr

5. I35

6. Regina

7. North Linn

Its really hard to predict at large teams with the RPI, some of the 2nd place team will have a difficult time with their non district schedule so these are the 7 that I went with.

Dome Teams

West Sioux

Van Meter

DNH

West Branch

Championship

West Sioux over Van Meter

Final 4 is really based upon possible pairings, overall I think talent-wise and geographically I think these four have the best chance.

I tried to give a look at returners among the top teams, and I certainly don't take issue with your assessment of any of the teams or districts. An interesting factor is returning QBs. We have a ton of teams with graduating starting QBs including some of your district winners. So, the real question in my mind is how much is that worth? Teams may have guys waiting in the wings to step up and if they have returning targets that they have chemistry with that could be big. If that fails to develop it could be devastating. It's almost easier to look at run production as a predictor of success, figuring that if a team can run the ball effectively, they can probably find enough passing production to balance their offenses (or just execute as one dimensional as they may be.)

Nice job pulling all the districts together top to bottom!

Really good analysis of each district! Love the insight and the detail. I do think SK will step up this year and knock off Mediapolis for the district title. That game by the way will be at home for SK in the regular season finale. I think those young pieces from a year ago will return stronger and more hungry. Was a great finish a year ago and expect it to be the same way this coming season.

The one thing that three of your four dome teams have in common is returning qbs that played at a high level a year ago. Van Meter brings back Potthoff, DNH will have Sonnenberg, and West Sioux brings back the best qb in Dekkers. We’ll see what WB brings to the table, but there’s something to be said about having a talented and experienced qb returning and those first three teams have that. Not to mention they all have pretty nice weapons to go with the qb.

Sleeper alert to possibly make a run in the postseason (assuming they get there) from the east side for me is SK. I like the talent returning and a year older on the varsity level for most of them will make a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT