ADVERTISEMENT

Player Signing

mtdew_fever

All District
Jul 14, 2004
I realize this is old news, but just saw it.

Kurt - Brookings is a great town. Take my advice and hit up Nick's Burgers in the old downtown. I stop by there any time I am in the area!!

Whiton to SDSU

Very surprised Willy didn't go smaller where he will get to play sooner and could probably play football and baseball.

He is small enough he will have to gain even as a corner for the Jackrabbits and it'll be interesting how he handles the wait. Standing on the sidelines is something he isn't accustomed to.

We will see if this time next year he is already shopping around.. possibly at some place like Simpson or BV.

Good Luck!!
This post was edited on 2/16 4:18 PM by stickman80

He is as big as their CBs now and faster than they are now. He loves the doubters. They expect him on the field as a redshirt freshman. Maybe Wyatt Rhoads will be looking at BV or Simpson in a year, but not Will.

Kurt, I am happy for you and your son Willie and hope that what the coaching staff told him is absolutely true and he has a great career in a bigger pond as a Jackrabbit.

As cocky and arrogant as a lot of the DB's are in the NFL I'd even sincerely love to see his face in a few years playing on Sunday. It would be a nice change from what we currently have to endure.

I might have to check with the Jackrabbits next year and see how he is doing because since he will no longer be in high school there will surely be no reason to read anything about him on Iowa Preps after this year, especially since he will be out of state.

Ha ha. Typical back handed compliment from a DCG fan.

Originally posted by stickman80:
Kurt, I am happy for you and your son Willie and hope that what the coaching staff told him is absolutely true and he has a great career in a bigger pond as a Jackrabbit.

As cocky and arrogant as a lot of the DB's are in the NFL I'd even sincerely love to see his face in a few years playing on Sunday. It would be a nice change from what we currently have to endure.

I might have to check with the Jackrabbits next year and see how he is doing because since he will no longer be in high school there will surely be no reason to read anything about him on Iowa Preps after this year, especially since he will be out of state.

Reactions: Fender Bender
I'm being sincere Dew but I won't gloss over the fact Perry was a very small pond with a big fish and we will have to wait till that big fish has to start competing for it's food with other big fish in its new lake to see if it thrives or not.

The big fish in that lake who have already had to compete for their food will have an advantage.

FWIW one of these ponds mentioned has become stagnant and is dying. All that will be left is bottom feeders. Don't be jealous of the other because it is healthy, prosperous, and growing.

Stick-
I appreciate the concern. I was concerned too until I went up there. The fact that the DC came to Perry 3 times to meet with Will and wanted an in-home visit had me curious as to why they were going to so much trouble to recruit Will. The HC called him at home too. We had a great meeting at the school and after meeting with his position coach, I had a great feeling about his chances. You don't know Will or his drive...the fact that ISU, UNI and Iowa recruited him as a WR was a mistake in the end. He should have been looked at as a DB. Iowa is not out of picture---they will not make final decisions on their 105 roster until after spring ball and they could offer him a spot in it. They liked him as a DB, but again, only looked at him as WR until he called and said he would play DB to be given a shot as a walk-on. Not sure he would take it, but it could happen. But with the top schools in Iowa not making an offer, Will decided that he wants exactly what you said...a chance to prove them wrong. They lose 2 seniors after next season and fully expect Will to compete for playing time as a redshirt freshman either in the DB rotation or as a PR/KR where I am pretty sure you will agree with me that he was one of the best in the state over the last 3 years. As for a big fish in a small pond...don't worry. He can handle himself just fine.

As for updates, you are correct, nothing will be on Iowa PREPS as this site is for PREPS. My days on here will be over as soon as his last baseball game is over...

As for DCG---if you had a real HC, you could be a real power...the guy there now is a joke. And an even worse basketball official.

Ciao...

This post was edited on 2/18 7:00 PM by Kurt Whiton

This post was edited on 2/18 7:01 PM by Kurt Whiton

I will agree Kurt that Willie is a return man with a lot of potential. IMO that is what makes teams generate so much interest in him. He will be able to play a position but the $1,000,000 qustions is at what level?

If Willie's goal is to be a Hawkeye (or even Cyclone) this is a great time for it. There is much uncertainty in both schools football programs right now and kids (with more talent than Willie)are stepping away from the table. This creates opportunites for those who do want to be there. I'm not surprised in the least that Iowa has left the door open because they honestly will not know till later exactly where they are at.

Sounds like you have a personal beef with the DCG coach....I don't. The program is moving forward and as long as progress is being made (unlike Perry) why rock the boat.
Willie's freshmen year DCG was 1-8 and even had a close but embarrassing loss to Perry. Since then they have gone 3-6, 9-2, and last year 10-2. Those 2 losses last year were to Pella (the undisputed 3A champs and possibly the best team in the state) and a 1 point loss to Creston in a game to send someone to the dome. Was that loss disappointing and have there been times where the DCG team has not played to their postential? YES, but it's not time to throw the coach under the bus. What has Perry done those 4 years? Not a single winning season and only 1 playoff game (a loss) during Willie's freshman year. Need I remind you Kurt that the one year Perry did make it into the playoffs they had a D1 senior on the roster which probably had a lot to do with it. Willie got some good opportunities that year as a freshman because everyone was keying off on Seely. But I will admit...he made the most of those opportunities.

Hope we get to play again in basketball soon. I'll be looking forward to it.

I had already mentioned that Perry (with Seeley) beat DGG in Willie's freshman year but if you would like to talk about it some more we certainly can. I believe that Perry's 3 point win over a 1-8 DCG team that year typifies the type of wins that Willie is able to place on his resume. I am not saying this to be mean but do believe that it could be a factor in recruiters looking at the level of competition that Willie played AND was effective against. I know if I was recruiting Willie (or anyone else) it would be a consideration to me.

Perry's record for the 4 years while Willie played for them averaged just 3.5 wins per season. How many of those 14 wins were against teams with a winning record? Only 1. Once again you have to go back to Willies freshman year when D-1 Seeley was a senior and did the heavy lifting to find it. That win was over a 5-4 team. In the post Seeley years Perry has not beaten a single team with a winning record. I was not suprised when I saw this because Perry does always schedule soft non conference foes and often dips down into 2A. This soft non conference schedule isn't bad for Perry because it is the AD and coach putting the right caliber of opponent that they can be competative with on the schedule. A very large number of Perry's 3.5 wins per season has been against these carefully selected non conference foes.

Once again I don't bring this up out of meanness but rather to draw attention to it and it's impact it could have on recruiting. At the minimum one would think it would have the recuriters dicing up Willies stats and seeing how he did against what opponent.

FWIW Kurt, I am a bigger picture kind of guy. I do believe that your son is 0-6 in basketball and 2-5 in baseball in his career against DCG but please enjoy that 3 point win over DCG in football that he got to be a part of.

This post was edited on 2/20 7:36 AM by stickman80

Let haters be haters.....

Originally posted by stickman80:

I had already mentioned that Perry (with Seeley) beat DGG in Willie's freshman year but if you would like to talk about it some more we certainly can. I believe that Perry's 3 point win over a 1-8 DCG team that year typifies the type of wins that Willie is able to place on his resume. I am not saying this to be mean but do believe that it could be a factor in recruiters looking at the level of competition that Willie played AND was effective against. I know if I was recruiting Willie (or anyone else) it would be a consideration to me.

Perry's record for the 4 years while Willie played for them averaged just 3.5 wins per season. How many of those 14 wins were against teams with a winning record? Only 1. Once again you have to go back to Willies freshman year when D-1 Seeley was a senior and did the heavy lifting to find it. That win was over a 5-4 team. In the post Seeley years Perry has not beaten a single team with a winning record. I was not suprised when I saw this because Perry does always schedule soft non conference foes and often dips down into 2A. This soft non conference schedule isn't bad for Perry because it is the AD and coach putting the right caliber of opponent that they can be competative with on the schedule. A very large number of Perry's 3.5 wins per season has been against these carefully selected non conference foes.

Once again I don't bring this up out of meanness but rather to draw attention to it and it's impact it could have on recruiting. At the minimum one would think it would have the recuriters dicing up Willies stats and seeing how he did against what opponent.

FWIW Kurt, I am a bigger picture kind of guy. I do believe that your son is 0-6 in basketball and 2-5 in baseball in his career against DCG but please enjoy that 3 point win over DCG in football that he got to be a part of.

This post was edited on 2/20 7:36 AM by stickman80

I seem to find myself in the middle of several discussions but I try not to make things personal. This one seems to be getting personal. I say congratulations to the young man, I always encourage kids to try and play at the highest level they can, no regrets that way. My kids went to DCG growing up so I like the school and still know some people there and I know how some of the communities in that area were towards DCG but it was never personal. Just saying that maybe people need to step back a bit and look at things a little more.

Stick--
Crawl back in your hole, put on you old DCG letter jacket and enjoy what you have...domination over Perry. Congrats. We don't deserve to be on the same planet as you and your Phillie counterparts. Hope you don't suffer an embarrassing loss on the way to the state tournament.

Final record---Perry 1-0 against the Phillies in Football the last four years. Can't change it, no matter how hard you try to spin it.

Anyone who reads this can see Stickman clearly oozing with jealousy over a kid who has moved on from high school and now on to bigger and better things. I don't get the point of middle aged men using a public venue to be negative about teenage kids who are most likely accomplishing far more in their youth than they did! We will never know, or care, what kind of player Stickman was in his high school days or how many offers he had for college football. But good luck to Will...and ALL Iowa kids who are getting an opportunity to play at the college level. Not many get that opportunity. Stay healthy and go to class!! Now back to your regularly scheduled arguing about who beat who in JV golf over the last four years between DCG and Perry...definitely done with this thread. Move along folks, there's nothing to see here.

Reactions: Kurt Whiton
Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
I seem to find myself in the middle of several discussions but I try not to make things personal. This one seems to be getting personal. Just saying that maybe people need to step back a bit and look at things a little more.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Are you sure this is the stance you are going to take?

For a guy that doesn't 'take things personally', you sure are calling out Blame and my community in another thread.
You're brilliant, sir. Absolutely brilliant.

Not certain how I have gotten personal in that post, nor have I attacked your community. How the situation was handled? Yes, some issues there. I have not attacked anyone's character unlike quite a few others have. Maybe my definition of personal is a little different than yours.

Blame inserted himself into that situation in an attempt to say, "there's nothing to see here! And, nobody should talk about it!"
Cid and others had legitimate questions about the situation. It isn't personal. Just put all the facts on the table if there is nothing to hide.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
Blame inserted himself into that situation in an attempt to say, "there's nothing to see here! And, nobody should talk about it!"
Cid and others had legitimate questions about the situation. It isn't personal. Just put all the facts on the table if there is nothing to hide.
pretty sure he and I both "laid it out there"

you and CID choose to find it as fallacy.
to each his/her own, i guess.
but its a bit obtuse to take that stance and then post the above, dont you think?

This is an interesting hijacking.

Looks like the Posters would rather bicker about West Branch and Regina recruiting wars than read about Karrot Top's kid.

BTW, looks like things got a little hairy for you last night. Bet you were starting to wish you were playing your favorite non conference foe instead of them being assigned to us.

Hey Stick bag...how did DCG do against Perry in baseball? I'm sure you were there wearing your letter jacket.
Ha Ha!! You make me laugh Kurt!!

I'm guessing your fixation on my letter jacket (this isn't the first time you have written about it) leads me to believe you know full well the history behind it and it's whereabouts (the last time I saw it).

Since you probably know, I feel safe asking this question. Does your other half still get it out and wear it when she is feeling down about what "could a, might a been"?

To answer your question, I haven't seen DCG or Perry play baseball yet this summer. Enlighten us...how did Willie (err I mean Perry) do against DCG?

Last edited:
I've changed my mind Kurt and would like my letter jacket back. Dang skeeters are so thick it would provide good protection against them.

How is the season working for you? Since the last time we spoke your then 11-5 Bluebirds have lost 8 of their last 11 and may finish below .500. Can you enlighten us? My Stangs have actually progressed during the season. Last night was a nice 5-3 win over the Carlisle team which swept your Bluebirds by a combined 20-0. Ouch!

Well please let me know about the jacket otherwise I'll have to try and find some 100% Deet OFF.

hqdefault.jpg

This is an interesting hijacking.

Looks like the Posters would rather bicker about West Branch and Regina recruiting wars than read about Karrot Top's kid.

BTW, looks like things got a little hairy for you last night. Bet you were starting to wish you were playing your favorite non conference foe instead of them being assigned to us.

Now that is funny

Hey Stick bag...how did DCG do against Perry in baseball? I'm sure you were there wearing your letter jacket.

Boone 5 - Perry 1
DCG 8 - Carlisle 3

Nothing much more really to say. Unfortunately your early season wins against Boone, DCG, or even B-F (DCG's opponent tomorrow night) really mean very little to anyone else now but please still enjoy them. You did beat at least 1 team this season that made it to state.

Good luck to Will as a Jackrabbit. I do sincerely hope to be watching him play on Sundays in a few years.

Last edited:
Boone 5 - Perry 1
DCG 8 - Carlisle 3

Nothing much more really to say. Unfortunately your early season wins against Boone, DCG, or even B-F (DCG's opponent tomorrow night) really mean very little to anyone else now but please still enjoy them. You did beat at least 1 team this season that made it to state.

Good luck to Will as a Jackrabbit. I do sincerely hope to be watching him play on Sundays in a few years.

Apparently I was wrong about young Will's football prowess. Hadn't watched much preseason football but had a friend tell me yesterday Willie made the Viking roster. Congrats!!

Vikings? I dont follow the NFL at all, but that is legit!

Apparently I was wrong about young Will's football prowess. Hadn't watched much preseason football but had a friend tell me yesterday Willie made the Viking roster. Congrats!!

Thanks for the correction. Hopefully he comes out healthy.

Sounds like Stickman is holding out jealousy when Perry owned his DCG Stangs.

The Grand View Vikings not the Minnesota variety. He is a Senior this year but is not playing due to offseason surgery.

Reactions: sarcastico
Thanks for the correction. Hopefully he comes out healthy.

Sounds like Stickman is holding out jealousy when Perry owned his DCG Stangs.

This Perry team went 0-9 last year. This year they are 0-2 by the tune of 0-125. They have 17 SO and JR listed on quickstats. How long will Perry be able to continue fielding a football team?

Jealous? As you can see, there is nothing to be jealous about. The word would be mildly embarrassed that Perry has beaten us at anything (outside of futball) in the last decade. Even last years 1 point win was an embarrassment.

Wow, still hating the world. Seeing your DCG Stangs lose to Perry did something to your ego.

I dont know any DCG fans, but you have to be an embarrassment to them.

This Perry team went 0-9 last year. This year they are 0-2 by the tune of 0-125. They have 17 SO and JR listed on quickstats. How long will Perry be able to continue fielding a football team?

Jealous? As you can see, there is nothing to be jealous about. The word would be mildly embarrassed that Perry has beaten us at anything (outside of futball) in the last decade. Even last years 1 point win was an embarrassment.

Wow, still hating the world. Seeing your DCG Stangs lose to Perry did something to your ego.

I dont know any DCG fans, but you have to be an embarrassment to them.
A whole week and not a single like to your comment. You are correct though....you don't know any DCG fans and you also don't know DCG fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT