ADVERTISEMENT

Osage:

Tear Lake

Freshman
Mar 25, 2009
What has happened to that, once proud, program? I see they have three, mid/lower ranked, seniors, but nothing else. I hope they don't evaporate like Britt.

The good news is that our numbers are up, especially in the JH. The Beasts will be back!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I remember the old days..... Britt was a powerhouse. So was Eagle Grove and Clarion and Algona. Times change I guess. I say bring back the old days!

From the looks of it there are some big holes the Green Devils need to fill. Would definitely help if Hanke and Johnson were able to fit into the lineup (Hanke isn't wrestling). The middle of the lineup is pretty solid with Brady Jennings (finalist material), Brock Jennings (freshman who I think could place very high), Christian Fox, Doug Perrin and Dylan Johnson.

It definitely isn't the same as it used to be, but the future is looking bright in the little kids wrestling club.

Kid:

It's been awhile since I checked on the condition of the famed and legendary New Haven Potholes. Are the Potholes still under control? Does Little Cedar still exist? Do you have any kinfolk on the current Osage roster?

As you know, its not easy keeping the Potholes under control but the battle is being won slowly. I'll be heading up to the grandparents land tomorrow to curb the deer population so will make sure the great metropolis of Little Cedar is doing well. No kin in the program this year just some family friends. Perrin, Goodale, Fox etc. How are things in your part of the state?

I dont feal real bad for the Devils, I see they beat Mason City even though they had 3 forfits in the lineup? Must be good where they are good!

Very tough lineup thru the middle. Jennings and Oono had a great match at 126. It's just a matter of getting bonus points for Osage to win duals against better teams. Brock Jennings is the real deal as well.

Things are good here. We have assembled a quality coaching staff led by former Fearsome Eagle Beast State Champion Mark Sanger and our numbers are up in the JH, as mentioned earlier. We will be back to being competitive soon. Hopefully #3 grandson out in Virginia will start his kiddie wrestling career soon. His brother is a few years away from competing but should do well too when the time comes.

To the OP... not too sure that anyone could say "ONCE proud program". Seems to me that they are a team that is similar to a lot of 1a and 2a programs that are experiencing declining enrollments. Holes in the lineup but that is more than the norm these days. They look like a squad that could finish third at sectionals and yet WIN the districts.

And as weak as the conference seems to be, they might even win conference tourney. Osage has had a few dips in years' past, but I wouldn't be too quick to compare them to the Eagle Groves' and Britts' of the world. They'll never fall that far.

We just need to build a super school in Floyd and merge with Charles City and the surrounding schools. We'll decide on the name by letting the best wrestlers from each school wrestle for naming rights.

Isn't there already one of these schools near by, called Denver-Tripoli?

I kid, I kid, but seriously there are some talented wrestlers in that area of the state.

I realize there's a LOT of sarcasm in the previous few posts, but I would feel pretty darn safe in saying you'll NEVER see Osage merge with any other program in the area. They've been approached at least twice within the last several years and refused to even consider a combination of programs.

Without knowing the exact enrollment numbers, and I'm too lazy to look them up, I'd guess Osage isn't far from being a big 1A school in wrestling. If that ever happens, then I'd expect to see near domination in that section of the State from them.

But the big negative to that would be Weber from CL would lose a lot of personal motivation if Osage ever left 2a. I always remember his quote regarding wanting to be regarded as highly as Osage in peoples' eyes.

Originally posted by MitchL:

I realize there's a LOT of sarcasm in the previous few posts, but I would feel pretty darn safe in saying you'll NEVER see Osage merge with any other program in the area. They've been approached at least twice within the last several years and refused to even consider a combination of programs.

Without knowing the exact enrollment numbers, and I'm too lazy to look them up, I'd guess Osage isn't far from being a big 1A school in wrestling. If that ever happens, then I'd expect to see near domination in that section of the State from them.

But the big negative to that would be Weber from CL would lose a lot of personal motivation if Osage ever left 2a. I always remember his quote regarding wanting to be regarded as highly as Osage in peoples' eyes.

I don't understand why they won't take on Riceville. They would improve and remain in 2A.

Spooner:

I'll give my opinion regarding Riceville since you specifically mentioned them. Riceville seems like a school district taking their last gasps of air. They have big financial issues, huge enrollment declines, and virtually no sports youth programs.

Even tho it's less than a 20 mile trip, doubt anything ever happens in that regard. St. Ansgar recently cut ties with Riceville after sharing a wrestling team for a few years. Unsure of all the issues, but supposedly Riceville only had 6-8 kids involved, yet the Riceville AD wanted a certain percentage of the practices held at Riceville and that was unacceptable.

Given the metrics of Riceville today, I'd be really surprised if there is even a Riceville school district in five years.

You are probably half-right about Riceville. I see them entering into a dual whole-grade sharing agreement with both St Ansgar & Crestwood, maintaining just an elementary school in Riceville.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

pax:

I should have been more specific. I meant they will not exist in the same form they are today. Yes indeed, wgs is likely the eventual outcome. But once again... there are just so many things working against them. They hug the Minnesota State line so they can't merge north. Cresco. Chas. City, St. Ansgar, and Osage are all more than 20 miles away.

Not to make a social commentary, but they have been absolutely gutted by the Mennonite population, the Amish factor, and the highest percentage of home-schooled families in North Iowa. Larger farms with fewer farm families, and a general likely feeling from potential younger teacher hires that the future of the district is cloudy. What teacher will take a job there with that outlook for future employment?

One last thing about keeping that elementary school in Riceville... that won't ever fly with either Cresco or St. Ansgar. St. Ansgar is contemplating building a newer elementary school and Cresco won't succumb to that idea either, imo. They don't need to make that concession and I doubt the Crestwood voters would approve that arrangement given the huge geographic makeup of their district as it exists today.

I don't know if any school districts have been recently dissolved, but Riceville certainly is a possibility.

I know what ya mean by Osage never agreeing to take on another school. St. Ansgar would offer some bigger kids which would be nice, but Osage won't agree to it. Everything you've posted is right on in regards to the area and how the trends are going for the schools. I want to say Osage was maybe within 15 students of being 1a a year ago. Don't quote me. Bosco is down from the past, but its nice that Osage has beaten them for the last few years. Nice win again tonight for them over the Dons!

Given the results of the season so far, including the Battle of Waterloo, it appears that the OP's prediction regarding the demise of Osage wrestling may be a bit premature.

If I really wanted to be a smart arse... I might even consider starting a thread about the "once proud CL wrestling program". Goes to show everyone that it doesn't matter how a team STARTS the season, but rather how a team FINISHES.

Towns that have an established youth program will always be a factor. Osage certainly fits into this category.

Tear has always been my favorite Osage troll. These days I can appreciate a good one. I don't think he always has invalid points and I really do wish Osage could hang with some of these teams who have seen success the past 4-5 years. I think there is a lot of talent coming back up through the Little Devil Mat Club and I think this years Osage team will look pretty solid at the end of the year (not that they havent already giving up ~18 points almost every dual.)

It's no secret that I dislike CL wrestling and their head coach. It's also no secret that his off the mat issues and some of his on the mat antics lead to this impression of him. But what is clear to me is that his wrestlers love him. He has really developed a strong program including the little kids' program.

I expect Osage and CL to remain strong rivals for the foreseeable future . And if Osage ever decides to renew the head to head dual anytime, that intensity will grow even more.

Anytime I've seen him out of season in Clear Lake he has actually treated any wrestlers from Osage, including myself, extremely well. Heck, could almost say I liked the guy ;).

Weber is a pretty good guy. If you want to judge him, judge him by the results his teams produce, not his off the mat actions. Much of that is rumor anyway, and what isn't rumor, is bs. He is passionate and that, at times, makes him obnoxious. I can live with obnoxious. I know plenty of people who fall into that category.

Well, since you are going to try and convince us that the off the mat issues are rumor or simply bs... I guess we'll address those "rumors"... his nonchalant and simplistic attempt at discipline in regards to the "funny money" crap a few years ago is NOT bs. That was well documented at the time. And the "deal" with the female member of the School Board several years ago isn't just bs either. So please don't try and sweep that shite under the rug. Won't fly!

You really think the problems that Colon has had at UNI weren't from being "enabled" at CL? Seriously don't think that lack commitment just happened after he got to CFalls, do you. After all... if he was the model student/athlete he wouldn't have been at Iowa Central to begin with.

So save the protection of his character for a place that will, or might, believe it. Not on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And not with me.

Mitch,

We all understand you don't like Weber, my question to you is have you ever met him, sat down and talked with him outside of a gym during a wrestling meet? The "funny money" issue was very stupid but done by kids, not Weber, and they were punished according to the law, state law, and pretty sure Weber had nothing to do with writing those laws. The "other woman" thing, well let's just say he isn't the first person and won't be the last to get a divorce. It's happened in other school districts, yours included I'm sure. You want to blame Weber for Colon deciding not to go to class (I believe that was the issue but not sure), are you also going to give Weber credit for Colon turning his life around and dedicating himself to the tune of becoming the #1 rated kid in the nation? I'm sure that is also a trait that Joe didn't just pick up while Cedar Falls.
Yes Weber is an emotional coach and gets a little animated on the bench, although I do think he has calmed down over the years, I guess I would rather have that than a coach that sits in his chair and acts like he doesn't give a rip about his wrestlers. You are right that his wrestlers do love wrestling for him and would go thru walls for him and that is what matters, not pleasing some fan from another community by acting the way that fan feels is appropriate.

i agree kids do stupid shit n the kids do what kids do.. its part of becoming a man and i think this rotten kid you speak of has grown in to a national title contender! oh n by the way i pick clarion to win the osage duals on sat!!!!!!

Clarion might be a solid pick, especially since the 2 new recruits showed up! I'm only kidding, just wanted to beat Mitch to the punch, but then again since the Portillo kids didn't move to Clear Lake, he probably wouldn't have said anything. What grade are these 2 boys in?

buckw87: Are you seriously going to try and convince people that Weber is the reason Colon has appeared to finally have gotten his crap together??? Weber was his enabler at CL. It took Schwab(From Osage, BTW) to get that mess cleaned up. Man... that's a stretch by any means to credit the CL head coach for Colon's renewed focus.

And in regards to the current lineup at CL... nothing Weber does surprises me anymore. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Mitch, correct me if I'm wrong but I want to make sure I have this straight. Everything bad Colon does, blame Weber; everything good Colon does, credit Schwab.

I've spent enough time on this but I do have one last question. Is it your high school coach or your parents that get the blame for you acting like an childish coward on these boards?

Normal response on iapreps is +1. Kids today would say, BOOM. Either way, nice post.

Who exactly implied or stated that everything good about Colon is credited to Schwab? Schwab was the one responsible for disciplining Colon during last season. At least, that is my understanding. Colon was eligible by NCAA standards, or at least, UNI standards. But Coach Schwab apparently made the decision to suspend him for the season.

I'm sorry if some of the facts involved in this issue make you unhappy. But some of the stuff we've discussed regarding CL are not my opinion, they are documented and happened as I stated them. "Funny money", school board member relationship, actually happened.

And the reason posters here remain anonymous is because we have wackos posting here that actually threaten violence from time to time when they disagree with someone.

I personally don't think the reason why people stay anonymous on these boards is for your reasoning. I find it more so they can stir pots, start rumors and take shots at people. They think its funny/cute doing so. But I will bite on why you say this is and for that reason along with the ones I have offered is truly why these boards should not be anonymous. All the bs would stop, specially if people are held accountable for what they post on these boards. I have seen some down right stupidity. Anyways post on!

Having moved to Osage my freshman year of college- my first day in town was the saturday of district wrestling. I wandered down to the school not even knowing what I would see. I enjoyed sitting in the stands and listening to people fantasize about Mark Schwab getting beat- and I did not even know who he was at the time. Obviously he didn't, but I left that day amazed at Osage wrestling and the powerhouse it was. I figured with all those people in the stands cheering agianst the Osage guys it must mean they are the big boy on the block. I will never forget the all-star meet tha year watching Joe Malacek and Randy Ewing wrestling- what a match. As a matter of fact I took theory of wrestling at UNI, which was funny as a basketball player, and my professor was Jim MIller, asst. coach at the time. He called Osage one of the best 5 wrestling jobs in the entire state. As the years passed the wrestling remainded strong and the names are well known- Schwab, Malacek, Uker, Wagner, Kisley, Gast, Johans, havig, pollard, wagner, rhoades, goodale etc., etc., etc.
And Osage has had great coaches- and by that I mean great people who also happen to know a lot about their sport.
Perhaps if they are in a "downturn" right now it is just what happens in programs. Used to be when Osage got together with Britt, Riceville, or Charles City it was big news.....how are those programs these days? I do not follow wrestling enough to have kept up with some of the powerhouses of the day. It is hard to maintain excellence. Different families, enrollment drops, etc.
I also know this- back in the 80's and into the 90's you did not want to play Osage in anything- had a great football tradition, boys and girls won basketball titles in the 90's and baseball, at least in the years I was around under Coach Mayer, was a great program.
Anyway, fun to come on here and see Osage wrestling discussed- you know how big you are when people start worrying about why you no longer dominate.

Haha I have to say this has been awesome to read. I have missed seeing names like IronDoc and TheKid for quite sometime. Unfortunately college took me away from these boards and I had too much to concentrate on elsewhere. I am greatly looking forward to coming back and joining all of you in the great state of Iowa and looking forward to some of our local teams making their comebacks. And even though the rivalry was largest while I was in Osage between us and Clear Lake I still gotta say some of the guys from that team were/are my good friends and I still get to talk to Colon, Bieber on occasion. Not to mention the Denver-Tripoli guys I got to have a great relationship with. The rivalry in our state is amazing and brings so much fun to the sport. I hope to see all of the teams prosper in the future! For now though, Go Green! (Green koolade drinking machine to my death).

I'm assuming Scheer will be the first one to guess my name :-O.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT