ADVERTISEMENT

New Season of Baseball!

Oct 26, 2014
Now that basketball and wresting have come to an end, who does everyone got having good years on the diamond this summer in baseball? It's right around the corner. (Not to overlook plenty of track and golf still to come)

Any teams that stand out over others? Explain why and what class/conference..

1A. Don Bosco, Newman Catholic, Twin Cedars, MSTM
2A. Beckman, Regina, North Polk, Roland Story, Mt.Vernon
3A. Assumption, WSR, Xavier, Harlan, DCG
4A. South Polk, Waukee, ICWest, CR Kennedy, CR Prairie

New Hampton will be tough in 2A. WSR lost a lot of Seniors last year. I see them taking a step back.

In class 2A, North Polk had a lot of seniors last year and they have very little returning.

Offensively - they had 10 regulars.....8 of them were Seniors, which includes their top 7 hit leaders

Pitching - out of 237 innings pitched last year....only 1 inning is by a returning player.

North Polk's head coach is really good and that program has had a fantastic run of producing All-State Talent, but this next year is definitely a rebuilding year and definitely should not be ranked at this point.

I must say. I didn't have the opportunity to see Trenton Wallace pitch for Assumption last season as a Freshman leading them to the State Title, but I want to see him this year.

I got to watch him play sophomore basketball this year and he was 2nd leading scorer in the MAC and he played a few weeks with a torn ligament in his finger before shutting down for the season with a few weeks left. He had 30+ in his last game with that torn ligament. He literally has NBA range as a sophomore in high school. Everyone told me that he was way better at baseball than he is a basketball, so I need to see it. I believe it was his right hand he had surgery on, so he should be fine throwing this year. A dominate lefty as a sophomore in high school sets up very well for Assumption the next few seasons. His dad is Head Baseball coach at Augustana College.

So in other words you all feel like tradition will once again take place this summer and we'll all be seeing familiar names in Des Moines come end of July..

I like Twin Cedars yet again this year. I realize they graduated 8, which is a huge number when you talk about 1A schools. However, Otis Roby is still got one final season left before he graduates. After hearing all the hype about him, I finally got to see him pitch in the state championship last year vs Newman. The kid is the real deal. I really liked their coaches style too throughout the game and did you see the fan base at that state title game!? Twin Cedars is definitely a baseball community! Reminded me of Norway in the movie "The Final Season". Just great to see stuff like that in Iowa high school baseball. What it's all about.

Twin Cedars does have me interested. Otis Roby is tough, but so was Trace Embray last year. Most 1A schools would love to have those two are their 1-2 punch in the starting rotation. If they can come up with any type of offense to fill the lineup, they should be in he mix.

In 1A what about Exira-EHK they return all their pitching staff on a 21-4 team. Two of those guys are pitching at the next level I believe small colleges but still can throw it. Any other western Iowa teams that could make it?

Wow. If what you say about Exira is true, they sound crazy tough and should be this year then. As for western Iowa teams, what do the popular names/teams look like this year? Lawton Bronson, St. Mary's Remsen, Gehlen/Spalding, etc..

1A I like Newman & Twin Cedars Chances
2A Beckman is my favorite, Not sure Regina will be able to repeat last years state appearance. Have heard they are struggling to get #'s. Brinkman will be unlikely for baseball as he will have to report to NDSU for summer with football.
3A Assumption
4A Kennedy

"Not sure Regina will be able to repeat last years state appearance. Have heard they are struggling to get #'s."

Maybe they can pull a recruiting class like they did a couple of years ago when they got a kid to transfer from West High and all he did was lead the entire state in hitting that year. Cooooooopppp

You think Newman has what it takes this year? Don't get me wrong they are one hell of a program and repeat success year after year, but I just don't know about this year..I'm sure I'll be proven wrong though!

And really? We gotta bring that Regina/recruitment you know what talk to the baseball message board too? Like seriously..it's why I stay on the baseball board mostly. To get away from all of that.

The guy went 1-1 and led the state in hitting, and you might want to read some other threads on this board. My favorite from a few years ago was the one where people were mad because Martensdale St. Marys was recruiting and something needed to be done to them as a private school.

Oh believe me, I remember that. It got out of hand with all the recruitment/open enrolling/public vs private talk.. Just saying I don't enjoy talking about it or reading about it, that's all.

Burlington Notre Dame brings back everybody from last years team. Not saying they they are the best but they could make some noise. After all they did send Van Buren home last year in playoffs.

This post was edited on 4/9 2:12 PM by rogerfrank

Very very much so, wide open.

On a side note to your side note..you are correct when you say MSTM is a public school. So many people think they are private due to the name of the small town "SAINT Mary's" and that's when the "R" word gets thrown around a lot on these message boards..
This post was edited on 4/15 7:02 PM by HawksAndSox

I must say. I didn't have the opportunity to see Trenton Wallace pitch for Assumption last season as a Freshman leading them to the State Title, but I want to see him this year.

I got to watch him play sophomore basketball this year and he was 2nd leading scorer in the MAC and he played a few weeks with a torn ligament in his finger before shutting down for the season with a few weeks left. He had 30+ in his last game with that torn ligament. He literally has NBA range as a sophomore in high school. Everyone told me that he was way better at baseball than he is a basketball, so I need to see it. I believe it was his right hand he had surgery on, so he should be fine throwing this year. A dominate lefty as a sophomore in high school sets up very well for Assumption the next few seasons. His dad is Head Baseball coach at Augustana College.

Um, led them to a state title? He started one game and went 1-1 I believe....I wouldn't call that leading nor would a call 1 - 1 and a few appearances dominant.

Two preseason highly ranked 2A & 3A teams dropped their openers. Clear Lake lost Charles City (who really struggled last year), and Waverly lost to West Delaware (albeit they are ranked 1st in Class 3A). It's going to be a great season!!

Um, led them to a state title? He started one game and went 1-1 I believe....I wouldn't call that leading nor would a call 1 - 1 and a few appearances dominant.

Closed out an 8-7 win over Harlan at State after coming in with 1 out in the 7th and Harlan having guys on base in a two run game(May have been a 1 run game) if I remember correctly.

Closed out a 8-5 win over Waverly Shell Rock. He went 4 innings allowing 3 runs and earning the win.

4 2/3 inning for Wallace(Fr) at state and allowed 3 ER... Campbell(Sr) pitched 12 2/3 allowing 4 ER(All in Game 1 versus Harlan)... Quested(Sr) pitched 3 2/3 allowing 5 ER... Wallace closed a runners on high pressure situation and came into the next game with a 4th inning tie game leading Assumption past WSR 8-5.

Assumption would have loved to pitch Campbell the whole tournament but that wasn't a possible option and they resorted to a Freshman pitcher with limited regular season experience to win the most important games of the season. He helped in a very large way lead them to the state title. If you don't see that then you just being ignorant.

First game of the year he went 5 2/3 4H 2BB 8K versus Moline... Also well over .500 OBP through 4 games.

Yep another Illinois kid leading D.A again.
A very good pickup for them.
Funny thing is I have been told him and Lindaman don't really like each other much. If they go all season trying to out do each other they could end up with some impressive numbers. Maybe they will build some chemistry or friendship out of it as well.

Can't help that Alleman isn't very good at sports other than football. If you want to play for a successful private school you go to Assumption.

With the new basketball coach I can tell you that one of the best players from Moline is looking at Assumption because his dad coached Fitzpatrick when he was younger. The kid is the best player on the QC Elite AAU team and I have been told he is even better at baseball, so they could end up with the best Point Guard/Shooting Guard in the area and probably the best baseball player as well. Assumption sweeping Moline probably helped Assumption's case to get him. He is considering Moline, Alleman, and Assumption last I knew. The dad is giving the son a choice on the school.

Freshman pitcher Daniel Powers is also an Illinois kid... Played at a UT feeder school and went to Assumption over Alleman... I also met a parent recently who informed that her son went to Alleman as a freshman and transferred to Assumption this year. He is also on the baseball team. Forgot the name though.

Closed out an 8-7 win over Harlan at State after coming in with 1 out in the 7th and Harlan having guys on base in a two run game(May have been a 1 run game) if I remember correctly.

Closed out a 8-5 win over Waverly Shell Rock. He went 4 innings allowing 3 runs and earning the win.

4 2/3 inning for Wallace(Fr) at state and allowed 3 ER... Campbell(Sr) pitched 12 2/3 allowing 4 ER(All in Game 1 versus Harlan)... Quested(Sr) pitched 3 2/3 allowing 5 ER... Wallace closed a runners on high pressure situation and came into the next game with a 4th inning tie game leading Assumption past WSR 8-5.

Assumption would have loved to pitch Campbell the whole tournament but that wasn't a possible option and they resorted to a Freshman pitcher with limited regular season experience to win the most important games of the season. He helped in a very large way lead them to the state title. If you don't see that then you just being ignorant.

appearing in 3 games is not leading the way nor is it dominant. I know I would love to say my kid is great also but reality kicks in.

Yes I guess I am ignorant if you want to call it that. Helped is a much better term as you used and saying led is completely disrespectful to the rest of that team. So 4 appearances is in no way leading and / or dominant. The kids that hit over 300 and appeared in 8 or more games led that team.

Call it ignorant.

appearing in 3 games is not leading the way nor is it dominant. I know I would love to say my kid is great also but reality kicks in.

Yes I guess I am ignorant if you want to call it that. Helped is a much better term as you used and saying led is completely disrespectful to the rest of that team. So 4 appearances is in no way leading and / or dominant. The kids that hit over 300 and appeared in 8 or more games led that team.

Call it ignorant.

Sorry... I guess I would expect when you say someone led a team to the state title in baseball it would obviously involve a team effort since it is a 9 player sport and pitchers can't field the ball by themselves. I guess the help part was common sense to me.

A dominant lefty as a SOPHOMORE in high school... Pretty sure he has pitched against three solid teams this year in Moline, WDMV, and PV... 18 2/3 IP 3 ER 21K... Guess that isn't dominate enough?

I'll stick with ignorant... If you think Assumption wins that title without his postseason pitching efforts then you are definitely being ignorant. Campbell was the MVP for them, but you said it yourself. Baseball is a team sport and Wallace was a huge reason for them winning last year.

If you want to talk about something special (impressive), I think you all might want to take a look at Jordan Rommes of South Winn. Through 6 games, he's hitting over .760 with 7 HR's. He has 1.952 SLG. Wow!!!

If you want to talk about something special (impressive), I think you all might want to take a look at Jordan Rommes of South Winn. Through 6 games, he's hitting over .760 with 7 HR's. He has 1.952 SLG. Wow!!!
Those are impressive numbers... He was impressive in football as well and I'm surprised he hasn't picked up D1 interest in either sport. He was very solid as a younger pitcher as well. SW limited his use last year if I remember correctly. The bad thing is UIC baseball has dropped dramatically in recent seasons. Still astounding numbers.

Sorry... I guess I would expect when you say someone led a team to the state title in baseball it would obviously involve a team effort since it is a 9 player sport and pitchers can't field the ball by themselves. I guess the help part was common sense to me.

A dominant lefty as a SOPHOMORE in high school... Pretty sure he has pitched against three solid teams this year in Moline, WDMV, and PV... 18 2/3 IP 3 ER 21K... Guess that isn't dominate enough?

I'll stick with ignorant... If you think Assumption wins that title without his postseason pitching efforts then you are definitely being ignorant. Campbell was the MVP for them, but you said it yourself. Baseball is a team sport and Wallace was a huge reason for them winning last year.

DUDE READ AGAIN - 3 Games...that's it. Not dominant, not leading. By the way....Trenton called and said he told you to stay off the message boards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT