East Sac
Kuemper Catholic
Red Oak
Shenandoah
South Central Calhoun
Southeast Valley
Underwood

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like District 5 will be a tough draw to get out of for Mepo. Four teams in the top 15 from 2015 in the district with them.

District 3....I'm a little confused as to what they were thinking. I would've thought a team like Saydel would have gone to the Southwest. Geographically speaking it makes no sense at all. 2 hours to Aplington Parkersburg and Dike New Hartford will make for some late nights for kids and early dismissals. In the time of budget cuts for schools I struggle to understand their logic behind that decision.It will be interesting for Dike and Ap to be in same district, pretty big rivalry between the two schools. CMB has a stud quarterback as well. I'm interested to see if Saydel will continue to struggle or if moving down to 2A will help them out. Should be a fun year of football and will be interesting to see how it turns out with the 2 "WildCard" teams.

District 3....I'm a little confused as to what they were thinking. I would've thought a team like Saydel would have gone to the Southwest. Geographically speaking it makes no sense at all. 2 hours to Aplington Parkersburg and Dike New Hartford will make for some late nights for kids and early dismissals. In the time of budget cuts for schools I struggle to understand their logic behind that decision.It will be interesting for Dike and Ap to be in same district, pretty big rivalry between the two schools. CMB has a stud quarterback as well. I'm interested to see if Saydel will continue to struggle or if moving down to 2A will help them out. Should be a fun year of football and will be interesting to see how it turns out with the 2 "WildCard" teams.

That's pretty much every district, and I'm sure the Pocohantas people would challenge anybody on travel time (2 1-hour drives, the rest 1 1/2 - 2 hours). But, that's the tradeoff for having "equally balanced," 8-team districts. Can't have it all...

Ya, you're correct. The more I look at the districts it looks to be that was pretty much all around. It's not so much the Friday night games that bother me with travel as it is thinking about some of these teams having to travel that far for 9th, 10th and JV games during the middle of the school week.

Saydel is in Des Moines, I am sure they would much rather go to Parkersburg than out to Clarinda.

Ya, you're correct. The more I look at the districts it looks to be that was pretty much all around. It's not so much the Friday night games that bother me with travel as it is thinking about some of these teams having to travel that far for 9th, 10th and JV games during the middle of the school week.

I would think (hope?) that ADs are able to use a little discretion in scheduling lower level games, playing nearby teams that may be up or down a class in order to keep travel distances reasonable.

In regards to District 3, who will stand out this year? Dike-New Hartford looks to be a very tough team once again, and I believe they should run the table in this district. Who will grab that last playoff spot? Aplington-Parkersburg turned into a solid squad last season after some early woes, but they should be very down this season. They're losing 9 starters on the offensive end along with most of their defense. They may be able to grab the two seed in this weak district, however, due to the competition level. Any other thoughts on District 3?

Disclaimer: Based 98% on last year and 2% on my minimal knowledge of a handful of teams and what they have coming back.

D7 would have to easily be the least competitive of the districts followed by D6 and D3. I'd have to give the nod to D4 over D5 for toughest district, but it's close. Both are loaded at the top, but D4 is better at the bottom.

Here is what I have for next year (top 3 alphabetical)
1. BH/RV, CLGLR, Sioux Center
2. Clear Lake, Crestwood, Osage
3. AP, DNH, CMB
4. Beckman, NFV, Union
5. Anamosa, Mount Vernon, Williamsburg
6. Albia, Central Lee, EBF
7. Kuemper, SCC, Southeast Valley

My top 10:
1. Mount Vernon
2. North Fayette
3. Albia
4. Dike - New Hartford
5. Carroll Kuemper
6. Garner-H/V
7. Central Lyon
8. Dyersville Beckman
9. Chariton
10. Waukon

Let me know your opinion

I guess I don't really get the Kuemper hype. Don't get me wrong, they will be improved in 2016 and will contend in D7, but I don't see them as a top 10 team let alone top 5. Especially when teams in their district like ESC, SCC, and SV have had their number for the past two years. Kuemper is 7-13 in the past two seasons.

Reactions: warriors dad
I guess I don't really get the Kuemper hype. Don't get me wrong, they will be improved in 2016 and will contend in D7, but I don't see them as a top 10 team let alone top 5. Especially when teams in their district like ESC, SCC, and SV have had their number for the past two years. Kuemper is 7-13 in the past two seasons.
I agree! Kuemper did improve over the year before but not enough to be top 10. Underwood 'No knowledge of this team' was 9-1 last year and SCC is always a tough out. SV and E sac were very good in district play last year and beat kuemper so to have them in top ten is a bit of a reach!

Hard to tell, my guess would be that they'd rather go to Clarinda though and play a school that doesn't average 7-8 wins a year.

Saydel doesn't win 7-8 games a DECADE, so level of competition doesn't really matter for the Eagles. Better to have shorter bus trip to their whippings on the road.

My top 10:
1. Mount Vernon
2. North Fayette
3. Albia
4. Dike - New Hartford
5. Carroll Kuemper
6. Garner-H/V
7. Central Lyon
8. Dyersville Beckman
9. Chariton
10. Waukon

Let me know your opinion

Iabeastmode... I agree with these rankings. I wonder where you would put Union Laporte City? A

I have just enough knowledge to make me dangerous. Obviously I'm wrong about Kuemper. Union has one of the best running backs in 2a coming back, plus they are one of the best coached teams in the state. Just not sure they can get into the top 3 in their district. Had they gotten into a different district I think for sure they are top 10.

Central Lyon graduated a ton of talent off their team from last year and they weren't a top 10 team no way do they make top 10 this year.

I don't think GHV is a top 10 team either, that district isn't terribly strong but they aren't that good.

My top 10:
1. Mount Vernon
2. North Fayette
3. Albia
4. Dike - New Hartford
5. Carroll Kuemper
6. Garner-H/V
7. Central Lyon
8. Dyersville Beckman
9. Chariton
10. Waukon

Let me know your opinion

Definitely need to take Chariton off of this list. They lost Hockenson and he was their entire team last year. You could've had Stevie Wonder throwing him the ball and they were bound to be caught. He was 6 inches taller than just about every corner he went up against.

My top 10:
1. Mount Vernon
2. North Fayette
3. Albia
4. Dike - New Hartford
5. Carroll Kuemper
6. Garner-H/V
7. Central Lyon
8. Dyersville Beckman
9. Chariton
10. Waukon

Let me know your opinion

Only comment on the teams I've seen play or looked into.

Mt. Vernon will lose 5 of their top 6 receivers including Herrmann who is one a hell of a player. The returning top receiver was a RB. I would assume this means they lose most of their defensive backfield as well (Herrmann also led them in tackles and 2nd in picks.) Adams and Cochrane returning are huge but losing 183 receptions and most of the yards can be tough to replace. I watched their JV team and they were not strong by no means. Not saying they will not be very good but they are losing some very good talent that will be tough to replace.

NFV always seems to be tough and statistically probably lost the least. I'd put them #1 of the teams I know.

Beckman again is perennially good but are losing a lot with Hirsch graduating. He was a huge part of their offense and defense.

Anamosa probably graduated more starters and players than anyone in 2A. Might be a hard fall for them.

Waukon lost a ton too to graduation. Probably 75% of their offense but generally reload well.

District 4 appears to be stacked to say the least. Not even listed here Union should be good and Cascade solid. Cascade played right with Mt. Vernon and actually was leading 14-0 with 2 minutes left in the 1st half and let 2 quick scores happen. Most of the year they were playing with 4-6 soph's and a fr at times. Statistically lose a ton with Trumm gone but were incredibly young last season often playing at least 8-9 underclassman.

My Top 10
1. North Fayette Valley (D4)
2. Dike- New Hartford (D3)
3. Mount Vernon (D5)
4. Albia (D6)
5. Dyersville Beckman (D4)
6. Carroll Kuemper(D7)
7. Garner-H/V (D2)
8. Central Lyon (D1)
9. Mid-Prairie (D5)
10. Aplington-Parkersburg (D3)

Let me know your opinions!

I would say that NFV is the favorite in 2A and then after that it is a toss up. Dike should be good, and should win their district rather easily but I don't know if they have enough to beat NFV, Mt. Vernon returns a nice core but also has some very key pieces to replace, Albia seems to reload, and Beckman returns their QB but not much else, I think there are many teams that could make the playoffs and could finish in the top ten.

My Top 10
1. North Fayette Valley (D4)
2. Dike- New Hartford (D3)
3. Mount Vernon (D5)
4. Albia (D6)
5. Dyersville Beckman (D4)
6. Carroll Kuemper(D7)
7. Garner-H/V (D2)
8. Central Lyon (D1)
9. Mid-Prairie (D5)
10. Aplington-Parkersburg (D3)

Let me know your opinions!
My expertise is with teams around the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area, so I can't say I know much about a lot of these teams. From what I do know, North Fayette Valley lost some key guys, but they have a ton coming back. Aplington-Parkersburg will not, by any means, be a top 10 team. They lost a ton from last years team including two D1 linemen. A-P is just lucky to have a cakewalk district. Someone is going to get a good draw in the first round of the playoffs. Dike-New Hartford should be a solid team. They lose a lot of role-players from last years team, but they should still have enough talent to build a team around Trent Johnson. They'll run the table in D3, but I don't know if they can make a playoff run in 2A. With all of this being said, I think 2A could be wide open this year. It seems like all of the teams who impress me are in the same two districts. Could make for an interesting year.

Reactions: triangle45
Dike already had better participation than most 2A schools last year so I don't think the jump will be that great for them.

Dike already had better participation than most 2A schools last year so I don't think the jump will be that great for them.
I agree. North Fayette Valley was a semifinalist in 1A, moved up to 2A, and won it all their first year. I think the transition for Dike will be challenging, but they will definitely be capable of competing. I see them making a strong push for a return to the dome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT